Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ideas

AFCAD2: A simple request from a user...

Guys, first thank you all for your great works with AFCAD2. Im enjoying these very detailed airport schemes tremendously. I do however have a request. I think its simple, but its basic quality control really. Please be consistent with your material selection in the taxi ways and tarmac. I see lots of fabulous gate activity with mixed asphalt and concrete taxi ways that dont look right. Please choose a particular material and stay consistent with it. I spend a couple hours fixing somebodys excellent KLAX and KPHX airports to make the taxiways a single material where consistent to apply it.This means...a segment of concrete with a small segment of asphalt..then more concrete...clearly not right.Otherwise, ROCK ON!!!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

While I don't know about the current state of LAX, when I modeled it (1958) it was indeed a patchwork of asphalt and concrete. And many airports these days are getting "patch jobs" of asphalt and/or concrete to keep the thing going with little money. I doubt if the person doing the AFCAD would actually change the materials without a picture - easier to do the whole thing in one or the other.At http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAX you can see a small pic of LAX, and it clearly shows a stretch of asphalt among the concrete along runway 25R, and another stretch on the other side near the maintenance hangars (in the distance).Hope this helps,

Tom, I get your point. I've seen a lot of airports just business flying nearly every week. However, there are still alot of problems in some of these AFCAD files related to material use.No big deal, and easily fixed.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Ideas

I think what he was getting at Tom was a lot of people do not realize that the closest Taxiway/Runway Material to 270 is used for everything connected to the Node and if the materials are not matched you end up with weird triangles all over the place.I have another "Request" for some folks out there. When saving/uploading an AFCAD2 file, don't change the name, leave it as it defaults on save ie; "AF2_ICAO.BGL" It is a pain in the butt to rename files all the time and when you rename them to anything besides the default it can get confusing as to what is already installed!

But if they are not for the default scenery (i.e. for an addon airport), then if they are not renamed you won't know if the file you have currently installed is for the default or for the addon. Problems doing it either way...Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Ideas

I can understand if they are renamed for an add-on scenery, but some are just renamed to stick in the designer's initials or whatnot, now, I am not saying that the designer doesn't deserve credit, but in the Filename is a bad place for Credits. Let me give an example of why...You make an AFCAD2 File for KDEN, you name it AF2_KDEN_tg.bglI make an AFCAD2 File for KDEN and name it AF2_KDEN_kb.bglShawn O'Shaunacy makes an AFCAD2 File and names it KDEN_SS.bglJosh Jones makes an AFCAD2 File and leaves it at the default AF2_KDEN.bglThese will All take up room on the Hard Drive, but only 1 (AF2_KDEN_tg.bgl ?) will be used.If files are left at the default naming convection (love those $10 words) I could look at file sizes when moving new AF2's in and get an idea of which was better (more Parking, more modifications etc.) by size.I know that bigger is not always better, but it can be an indicator...