Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

I have 640 MB of RAM, W98SE - wondering what best cache

Guest jabberthecat

Using Cacheman, I have Min/Max Disk Cache each set to 100 MB,chuck size = 4K, Name Cache = 6K - not sure what allthese do and what is the best way to use 640 MB for FS2002?Any thoughts on what the best setting would be?THanks,Myles

Guest Lizardo

I like chacheman a lot. But I don't know much either, so I let the wizard run things. I got the most bang-for-my-time though from going settings>control panel>display>settings>advanced>vanta>additional properties and going through all of that.

I don't know much about cache, but I've been told to let Windows manage it.With 640MB of RAM, you'll wither want to upgrade to Windows XP or take out some RAM. Win98 doesn't recognize more than 512, and if there's more, it gets confused, and may slow your system down.

Your ram is much faster than the hard drive cache. Let windows manage your cache. Those "optimizers" are all smoke an mirrors IMOHO.If you can upgrade to XP it handles memory much more efficiently.http://fsgateway.com/images/frank.jpg

Guest PaulL01

>I don't know much about cache, but I've been told to let >Windows manage it. >>With 640MB of RAM, you'll wither want to upgrade to Windows >XP or take out some RAM. Win98 doesn't recognize more than >512, and if there's more, it gets confused, and may slow >your system down. Not true, win98SE can handle up to 1.5 gigs of ram, you just have to manualy provide the fix/edit in the Vcache line under the system.ini: MaxFileCache: Set it to 512 MB (524,288 KB), or less, in the [Vcache] section of System.ini to reduce the maximum amount of memory used by VCache (maxfilecache=524288) There is more info that is freely available in the Microsoft knowledge/help pages at there main support site.Paul

Guest PaulL01

>Using Cacheman, I have Min/Max Disk Cache each set to 100 >MB, >chuck size = 4K, Name Cache = 6K - not sure what all >these do and what is the best way to use 640 MB for FS2002? >>Any thoughts on what the best setting would be? >>THanks, >Myles Here is a good basic tweak guilde on the subject that is a good starting point based on different amounts of ram:http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/memory/vcache98.htmlHope that helps.Paul