Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Traffic Tools Wish List?

What features would you like to see in a Traffic Tools Helper Application?I am thinking of writing a helper for Traffic Tools for those who are not fluent with editing files on their own.

Guest Captain Barfbag

Does it have to be Traffic Tools related?I've been thinking of a program to generate a complete new "voice" for ATC. There are only 10, and they are uniformly American, although one has a slightly Midwest twang. The Voice SDK supports more voices, but there is no source for them. Unfortunately, what we need is a .wav file for each of the thousands of phrases which make up a voice.The Voice Decompiler from the SDK produces a file called phrase.txt which contains all of the phrases plus information about how they're to be used. With this information, we could have a small user GUI that would display the phrase. The user would press a button for RECORD, speak into a microphone, and then press another button for STOP. The program would store the phrase as a .wav file in the appropriate place. When all the phrases were recorded, the Voice Compiler from the SDK would be used to build a new Voice. That's Version 1.0.Version 1.1 would add a bit of processing after the user records the voice. "Dead air" would be trimmed from the files, and there would be a playback feature for each phrase, along with a RETRY and ACCEPT button.In Version 1.2, I'd add an option to hear the phrase spoken by one of the original Voices. This is mostly for unfamiliar place names.I figured out once that it would take about 12 hours of steady work once you were "in the zone" of doing this to create one Voice. It sounds like a lot of time, but it would be great to have more diversity in the Voices, particularly when flying outside the US.

>What features would you like to see in a Traffic Tools Helper>Application?>>I am thinking of writing a helper for Traffic Tools for those>who are not fluent with editing files on their own.Another one? There are at least twenty similar programs already available...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I figured out once that it would take about 12 hours of steady>work once you were "in the zone" of doing this to create one>Voice. It sounds like a lot of time, but it would be great to>have more diversity in the Voices, particularly when flying>outside the US.You haven't been to the MSFS website and read the article on how long it took the MS "volunteers" to record those thousands of phrases, have you?Inserting the markers is the most difficult chore. You really need to read the article to see just how more complex this process is... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator