Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Can't get rid of these AI Caravans - Help!!

Guest jolualtieri

Hello All.This is my first post of any kind on this forum and I hope I'm lucky enough to find an answer to my problem.Using Traffic Tools to edit my FS9 AI Flight plans, I have been trying in vain to remove the numerous AI caravan flights that appear throughout my FS-World.No matter what I do, the flights are always there when I hit CTRL-W to view other nearby traffic.I have essentially replaced the default traffic.bgl file with a file that contains only downloaded AI flightplans and does not contain any of the default FS9 traffic.I have also removed any reference to the Caravans in the aircraft.txt file that TTools refers to.After doing all of this, I have re-compiled the traffic.bgl file and no matter what, those Caravans are still there.Can anyone PLEASE tell me what I am overlooking or forgetting to do because this has become quite frustrating and intriguing at the same time.Thanks in advance!!Joe AltieriAir Traffic ControllerToronto L.B. Pearson Control Tower (CYYZ) :-hmmm

Are you saying that you replaced traffic030528.bgl in Flight Simulator 9SceneryWorldscenery ?I find it much easier to rename this file to traffic030528.ORIGINAL and create my own traffic_xxx.bgl containing only those flight plans I need.Don't forget that with FS9 you can have as many traffic bgls as you wish, eg, Traffic_PAI.bgl, Traffic_DC3US.bgl, etc. This makes it much easier to control their use.George

Guest Bob Z

Joe,If you removed them from the Aircraft.txt Ttools should have given you an error if the associated FP entries were still in the flightplan, so it would appear that the compiled bgl is OK.Make sure that you don't have a leftover traffic.bgl which still has the caravans compiled into it still resident in your scenery/World/Scenery folder. If so, delete that bgl or rename it and try FS9 again. I've found that changing the extension to lgb does quite nicely.

Guest jolualtieri

Hello Bob ZI have gone so far as to delete all traffic bgl's in the appropriate folder and then recompiling a new one from the flightplan.txt & aircraft.txt etc.. files in TTools.As I said, the flightplan.txt file does not contain any flight plans for any of the default FS9 aircraft. I also replaced the caravans in the aircraft.txt folder with other equipment.I keep reading about using multiple traffic.bgl's but I am unsure how you tell FS9 which one you wish to use. I'm having enough trouble getting the only traffic.bgl I have to be properly incorporated.Any other suggestions, please let me know.Thanks!Joe Altieri

Joe,You don't tell FS9 which traffic BGL to use - it just uses all it can find. These are normally stored in SceneryWorldscenery folder, but I think it will use any it finds in any of the folders mentioned in the scnery.cfg. Try searching for copies of the default traffic BGL file in other scenery folders to see if you've got one hiding somewhere.Ian

Ian Box

>Hello Bob Z>>I have gone so far as to delete all traffic bgl's in the>appropriate folder ...You don't say what the appropriate folder is.Quite often add-on scenery includes traffic bgls. You should search your FS directory for files named traffic*.bgl, however, this may not reveal the culprit since the name of the file may not even start with traffic (this is just a convention to distinguish them).Another method is to inhibit all add-on scenery via Settings/Scenery Library then enable each one separately until the unwanted traffic appears. This will then tell you where to look for the offending bgl. Unfortunately you will need to restart FS after each change to the settings and this could prove time consuming.George

Guest jolualtieri

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond!For clarification, I was referring to the scenery/world/scenery folder as the "appropriate" folder when I deleted the traffic.bgl file and recompiled a new one with TTools.If in fact there is another traffic.bgl type of file residing in some other scenery folder than it must contain a very substantial amount of Caravan flightplans since I have seen them in Kenya, Alaska, Buenos Aires etc... essentially anywhere I fly.In the meantime, I have removed both caravan versions from my aircraft folder and moved it somewhere else so now NO caravans appear in my AI traffic. As a negative side effect, I am now unable to fly a caravan until another solution is found.I have searched all of the scenery that I have installed and could not find any "obvious" traffic.bgls but who knows what name they might be hidden under.For now, I am happy to remove the caravans completely from FS9 and I can always return the file to its proper home if I need to fly a float plane.Thanks again to all!Joe Altieri

Hi Joe,You probably have a traffic_xxx.bgl file still hiding somewhere in your FS installation. Remember, it's not enough to rename a traffic file if it still ends in .bgl - it will still be read by FS. You need to rename it so it ends something like the .ORIGINAL described above. This is critical!!Also, the easy way to keep the Caravans around for flying is to put them back into the Aircraft folder, and then edit the planes' aircraft.cfg files by changing the title= lines to something different (you can just add something like CHANGED to the line). Then it will not be used by the old traffic file that's hiding somewhere, but you can fly it as usual.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___