Sign in to follow this  
Guest TWVA395

AI Traffic and TCAS

Guest Dash80

Hi folks.I'm trying to use FS to teach my students the different TCAS warning messages and the proper pilot responses. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of freeware TCAS gauges and I don't think any work is needed there at all.However, the only way I get TCAS Resolution Advisories or Traffic Advisories is by me chasing AI airliners around the sky. As you can imagine, this isn't very practical training. Ideally, I should be able to control an AI aircraft so that it appears and flies into my path according to certain parameters. I've seen Level D sims do this to keep airline pilots alert during boring crosscountry sim sorties and during terminal approaches. I understand that in FS you can't really control other airplanes with that level of authority, but is there something I can do that approximates this capability sufficiently to train TCAS? I was thinking, for example, that I could teach the following scenario using A.I. traffic:- you are on active runway- you begin your takeoff roll- you get airborne and around 500' AGL, a helicoptor comes within 1 mile of you (he's at 1000' AGL)- the TCAS goes off and you reactAlso, can programs like FSUIPC or other direct memory manipulation software create or control AI traffic?Thanks for your help,Enrique==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

Hi,If you choose a specific location and time of day, the AI traffic in the area can be quite repeatable (for most aircraft). Find a situation that works for you, and then save a flight starting at that exact time. Then that situation should be able to be repeated over and over.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Dash80

Thanks Tom.Is it true that you can create AI aircraft on an IFR and VFR flight plan?If so, can I just setup a cessna doing a circle up and down the takeoff corridor? I'm not knowledgeable of the limitations on how you can control AI aircraft.Thanks,Enrique==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.