Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

ground vehicle AI raffic

Guest robystar

Good evening allI'm new,a FS2002 user and though I have been reading this forum lots of times, I cannot find the topic I would like to know about.It is all about this:I have been creating AI ground traffic in Aghanistan using AFCAD in order to have something to look at when I am flying in my favorite Black Hawk Heli.I created new airports (helipads) in the Bagram area adding AI helicopters to the scenery. Worked fine. Thought it would be nice to have some army vehicles as well. Created a seperate airport for those army vehicles and used very long taxiways to avoid them from disappearing from the scenery once they got to the takeoff runway.I managed to create several of these, but with more luck than wisdom.Anyone out there who would like to share knowledge and solutions for the several problems encountered, in particular regarding:- avoiding ground vehicles taking off at too high a velocity and disappearing in a cloud of dust- How far can you go in building taxiways away from the AFCAD 'airport'- How to proceed in mountains?- etcWould be pleased to hear from others sharing the same challenge.Of course, although being a moron in uploading, my AFCAD creations that work, are free to everyone who is willing to try them out.it is fun to fly over moving Humvees and land close to them to see them continue their programmed route.robystar@planet.nl

You can avoid the ground vehicles taking off at all. Just set a Hold-short node more than 300ft from the runway. Note also you need at least one comm frequency.GeorgeEdited. The above works for FS2004, I'm not sure about FS2002.

Guest robystar

Thank you George.It seems to me I read your advise somewhere earlier.In fact, I presume that in that case the vehicle will stop dead in its tracks and just disappear after a while.As in my current situation, the vehicle does not really take off but just speeds off too fast (though I set its speed in TTools at 15Kts)until it disappears some miles out due to, I guess, its speed and the bumpy terrain.I will try if it works in FS2002 tonight.Appreciate your advise.Robystar

Hi,You should be able to lower the engine power in the aircraft.cfg file until they don't speed up much at all. After that, if you increase the drag scalars in the Flight Tuning section (forget which one - you'll have to try them all) they will not accelerate very much.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest robystar

Thanks Tom, and Thanks George.In the meantime I tried this hold short node but it apparently did not prevent the vehicles from speeding away.I'll try out your option Tom, probably will take some time unless I am lucky.Try to keep those UK weather depressions away, please George. Any idea how to do that? I have to mow the lawn.Thanks both. Be back as soon as I figured out how to decrease engine power.For all of you out there, there still remains the question of how big an AFCAD airport can be and how to overcome the mountain area taxiway problems.Robyrobystar@planet.nl

>Try to keep those UK weather depressions away, please George.>Any idea how to do that? I have to mow the lawn.I am not too far from you and last night we had a great electrical storm.George

Guest robystar

Still working on it, Tom. First try did not work out. M-113 did not move at all anymore. There is drag scalar, parasite scalar and trust scalar. I doubled drag scalar and parasite scalar and halved trust.It is almost midnight overhere, so I will continue tomorrow evening.(Thank you, by the way, George, I had my supper outside).Robyrobystar@planet.nl

Guest Jos

Hi,Try also to understand the setup of an AI car on FS2002.A friend of mine said that the runway must be very short. In a flightplan for AI ships, I saw that the altitude was set to zero. Further was spooken of a tutorial from Holger for AI ships... any idea where I can find this ?Many questions, h

Guest Jos

Hi,OK... I will search, because till now no tutorial found. I like to have a car moving around the apron. Maybe it is so simple that nobody has the need of guidance... lol. Asjemenow !Greetz. Jos

Guest robystar

>You can avoid the ground vehicles taking off at all. Just set>a Hold-short node more than 300ft from the runway. In the meantime I found out you were right George. It works, also in FS2002. I just forgot to delete the hold short node closer to the runway. It does not solve my problem in as far as the vehicles just stop and disappear after a while.Someone from Belgium, Jos

>It does not solve my problem in as far>as the vehicles just stop and disappear after a while.Well, what do you want them to do? There is no limit on the length of the taxiway so they could circulate the airport for some time. If you place the hold short node near to a starting point you can then make another vehicle do their next leg of the flightplan shortly after the original disappears so they will immediately re-appear.George

Guest Jos

Hi,Is it possible to post a screenshot of the Afcad2 file of a working AI configuration ? An image can say more than words. Have here some files... I can send it to you so that you can make a screenshot and put it on this Forum and send one to me too.The file can be found on AVSIM: fra_ai_bus.zip .Thanks. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,The image of the Afcad2 file is meant to show how things are set up.A litlle bit difficult... maybe if you could zoom in into the part where the taxiway goes into the runway and then to the parking.Question: in a normal Afcad-file there must be enough parking for the "aircraft". At the moment that the ground vihicle starts his "flight" (route) and there is only one parking (the parking were this vihicle is actual standing on), then (I suppose) it will disappear. Unless there is halfway another runway and parking ?Or you must have two parkings available.I have already prepared an airport to test some configurations.Hope I find it. But I am not smarter than the rest, h