Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

How Do You Add Airports To The Airport Text File???

Guest 727Fan

I've been doing AFCAD work at 2 USAF bases. But now I understand I need to add airport data to the airport text file before TTools recognizes the airport and lets it receive traffic.Can anyone tell me how that's done?Thanks!!Rick

>I've been doing AFCAD work at 2 USAF bases. But now I>understand I need to add airport data to the airport text file>before TTools recognizes the airport and lets it receive>traffic.>Can anyone tell me how that's done?>Thanks!!>Rick It's pretty simple and should be explained in detail in the Traffic Tools documentation, however here is a brief sample from one of my "airports_xxxx.txt" files... ICAO LAT LON ALTKTPH,N38* 3.59',W117* 5.23',5427KTR0,N37* 48.00',W122* 35.98',69NGZ ,N37* 47.29',W122* 19.19',13 That's all there is to it. From then on, in your "Flightplans_xxx.txt"file, just use the ICAO of any airport that is called out to send AItraffic to that airport. You will need to create flightplans for anyairports you add and for any specific AI traffic that you want to usethat facility.Lee Swordy's documentation is quite good for TTools and after readingit you shouldn't have any problems creating the necessay txt filesand compiling them to "Traffic_xxx.bgl" files.It's FS9's AI idiosyncrocies that will drive you nuts :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest MikeS

"But now I understand I need to add airport data to the airport text file before TTools recognizes the airport and lets it receivetraffic."Did you modify an existing airport? Does it have traffic already, or did you create it from scratch. If it already had traffic, you should be good to go. Did you create any flightplans yourself for this traffic? Mikehttp://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_mstanton.gif

Guest 727Fan

OK Gang, here's what I did.I brought up Luke AFB (KLUF)in AFCAD. The default FS9 has no parking spots there, although there's plenty of pavement space to add parking. So with AFCAD2, I added about 20 parking spaces of differing size.Then I used TTools to create a bunch of flight plans using some C-130, F-16, and C-141 from Henry Tomkiewicz. After saving the flight plans, I went to re-compile. The error noted no such airport in the airport text file.OK. I went to the airport text file TTools exposes, openned it and saw the type of data needed to add an airport.Problem is, I don't know what the data is for Luke AFB, nor where to find it.I'm stuck. And I know there must be a way, it's just eluding me.Anybody know where I can find the data for KLUF? For any military airport in FS9?Thanks for listening and responding!Rick

Guest MikeS

The easiest way I can think of to get you up and running quickly is to run CollectAirports. It comes with the TT d/load and gathers all airports in FS. Then d/load the utility called ExtractAirports http://www.projectai.com/libraries/ufiles.php?cat=8 Once you've done that, you only need to run ExtractAirports, pointing the program to the flightplans you just made, and whever you put the results of CollectAirports. Assuming you have the necessary Aircraft.txt file as well as the Flightplan.txt file, this program will extract every airport listed in your flightplan (and all necessary data) and automatically create the Airports.txt file necessary to compile a Traffic.bgl. It really does make compiling FP's a lot easier. Then, spend some time reading the excellent help files in TrafficTools and AFCAD to give you a better understanding of how to create traffic. They ARE excellent reading...Almost forgot...for the a/p's coordinates,(the Airport.txt file info) r/click on a blank section of the AFCAD to bring up the property sheet.Good luck,Mikehttp://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_mstanton.gif

If you have already modified the afcad, open it in Afcad2 and double-click on the background. This will give all of the information to be included in the airports_*.txt. If you include only the airports used in your flightplans.txt it will result in a smaller traffic_*.bgl.GeorgeEdited: Oops, I didn't spot Mike's last sentence.

-SNIP->Anybody know where I can find the data for KLUF? For any>military airport in FS9?>Thanks for listening and responding!>Rick Pop up the GPS...Nearest Airports...highlight KLUF.. Click enter....read the LAT/LON and ALT off the GPS display. That's it. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>You're in luck, here is an automatic method to create an>airports.txt file:>>http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...atID=fs2004util>>George> Good find...thanks, George. This will save me a bit of time as I'm currently creating AI traffic between a bunch of old military airpotrts in Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary. So far I've got M1g-15,17 & 19's active in the Czech Republic but will be adding about 15 or 16 more airports in the other counties soon. I'll need that "saved time" to create the flightplans :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg