Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Floatplane AI won't show up

Hi everyone,I've just re-done the AFCAD file for 5Z1, Juneau, Alaska's seadrome. I then added a number of AI flights in and out but they aren't showing up at all.As a test, I copied and pasted the flight plans but changed the airport and it showed up fine (this was with a plane with straight floats, no wheels). This would seem to indicate that not only is the choice of aircraft fine, but so is the flightplan. Obviously, the problem is in the AFCAD file.I did a fault finder and no errors came up.Any ideas? Does the width of the taxi ways make any difference? I tried everything from 0 to 50' but that made no difference.I don't really care if the planes actually land or takeoff (although that would be nice), mainly, I just want to have static float planes at the dock.I've done this before with success but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong here.I would greatly appreciate any help you folks can give me.Thankssigpic4.jpg

Hi there,what a funny coincidence, I was just working at 5Z1 as well ;-)We're working on a new version of our freeware Glacier Bay scenery and it'll include seaplane and vessel AI traffic (and generally be bigger and better, bla bla ...).Are you familiar with the specific requirements for seaplane AI AFCAD files? If yes perhaps it's the parking gate size that's an issue.If not, here are the basics:* runway 0.1ft wide, type concrete* runway link, 0ft wide, type concrete* taxiways (or apron links), 0ft wide, type water* don't forget your hold-short nodes* the taxiway link between the hold-short node and the runway link should be at least 5 ft wide. This means you'll see a bit of the yellow hold-short line but it prevents AI from piling up on top of each other at the hold-short node* I prefer to place a separate water runway, with no connection to the remainder of the AFCAD, near the AI runway. That way users can start a flight on a water runway rather than a concrete strip and the water runway shows up as such in the GPS or map view.* a tower frequency isn't really necessary but it does help in cases where AI get stuck on the runway without ever taking off. Don't use the same frequency as PAJN though or the AI might get confused.* obviously, you need suitable aircraft, preferably those with custom wake effects. There are a few in the library, including those in my own seaplane packages, like ai_floats.zip, gorge_ai.zip, or gl_bay1.zip. In addition you can set up a directional "piping system" to allow for true drive-through parking (i.e., no push backs) and you can also selectively close down one side of the runway for takeoffs (not landings). I found that I had to do the latter for 5Z1 because takeoffs to the south would always end up with the AI hitting mountains.At Juneau you have the additional challenge of the adjacent airport, whose flatten (at 19ft) reaches across the true position of the seaplane base and (in the stock version) actually includes the 5Z1 water runway. Thus, I made sure that I edited PAJN first, then removed the oversized flatten, and now have separate AFCADs for 5Z1 and PAJN at different altitudes (actually, I'm still working on some of the details but version 2 of Glacier Bay is still a month or more from completion anyway).Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Hey Holger,Good to hear from you again! You helped me out with your Sister's Island update, if you recall. I'm eager to see the new Glacier Bay update too!By the way, this seadrome is for downtown, not the seaplane channel paralleling the airport (PAJN). As you look at the picture below, visualize the the downtown area is just on the top of the picture (which is the north side), the J-D bridge would be in the top left corner.Okay, I made the changes you mentioned, changing the runway to concrete and 0.1 width. The runway links (in between the hold short node and the ones on the runway) are 0' wide and concrete. All the rest are type water and 0' feet wide. Still, I got nada.As you can see, I've got one parking space by itself just to see if overlapping them might have caused some conflict but I'm not getting anything there either. The parking spaces haven't been modified in size...should they be? afcadpic.jpgThanks for your help, Holger

Guest MikeS

I don't know if that matters or not, but the link between the HS node and the end of the RW looks like it's a RW link. Try changing it to a normal taxi link. Try moving the HS node and the normal node behind it, closer to the ends of the RW's. Is the elevation of the field correct? Mikewww.flightontario.comI'm confused. Wait...maybe I'm not!

Thanks Mike,Actually, the link you are referring to is a normal taxi link...perhaps it looks different because its 5' wide whereas the others are 0'.I tried moving the nodes closer to the runway but that didn't do anything. Just on a whim, I even tried adding a few extra nodes on the route to the runways...thinking maybe there was too much space between them. That also had no effect.

Guest EdrickV

Are those parking spots gates or ramps? From the screenshot it looks like they're probably gates, and your AI floatplanes may be expecting docks or ramps. Even if the AFCAD isn't setup properly for them to takeoff and land, they should at least appear at the parking spots, assuming you're watching at the right time and have the right type of parking spots for them. Not sure if dock/ramp aircraft will use gate parking spaces."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."