Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

Windows XP / Framerates/Stutters/SoundBlaster Card

Guest ScottPilot

Hello Simmers!OK, I upgraded my system (via a clean install) to Windows XP Pro. I am VERY VERY HAPPY with this new O.S. thus far. However, I noticed (as many in this forum have stated) that I lost a few FPS in MSFS2K2 compared to Windows ME.So, I have been on the performance boost bandwagon to improve the SMOOTHNESS of FS2K2, which I have lost since doing the upgrade. The stutters were very bad at first and the FPS were around 8-10 in any view accept looking straight ahead.I tried installing the VIA 4-in-1's (which have a bug fix for the SoundBlaster Live cards), but this made things much worse, so I rolled them back.Then by chance, I muted the sound while flying and guess what, NO stutters at ALL! Also my FPS jumped to a consistent 18-20 (locked at 20), no matter where I was flying (or taxiing, most sliders to the right.)So, I went into DirectX and turned down the sound card acceleration to BASIC, and this has seemed to help somewhat. I turned it off, but this made the ATC speech unaudible.The only way I get NO stutters and good FPS, is with the sound muted. But I hate flying as if I were deaf.I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer card with the latest XP drivers from Creative's web site, which are required to get the EAX feature to work in XP Pro.So, any of you simmers out there that are running XP with the SB-Live series of sound cards, do you have any additional suggestions on how to get the sound card working so that FS2K2 runs smooth without the stutters? (I have the sound in FS turned to the medium quality level, after trying the other settings.)I am close to getting FS2K2 running smoooothly in XP pro and I am 99% sure it is related to my sound card. Maybe I will get their with some outside help, and in the process, maybe this post will help others also.THANK YOU VERY MUCH, for your suggestions!Scott Heinz :-beerchugATP/CFII in the real world :-rotorMy system specs:PIII 1GHZ (Self Built)512 MB SDRAM120GB Hard Drive SpaceDFI Motherboard (Via chipset)(NO on-board Sound or Video)Visiontek Geforce 4 440MX 64MB Card (Refresh Rate forced @75HZ)Dual 17

Hi Scott.I have had the same issues with SB Live 5.1 as you.I have some good news and some bad news.The Good News:I found a fix that works for me (running XP on a AMD/Via Chipset board).The Bad News:It is a 340MB download. (If you have cable or dsl you are in luck)The drivers are Version: 5.12.1.244 Revision: C Pass: 1 and are WHQL certified. This is the whole package (Liveware and all) for the Compaq, but don't let that throw you - I have it installed on a homemade system. This package is very nice - much better than the standard XP drivers from their site. There is a little workaround that lets you install it on ANY XP system.Here is the link.ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/SP20920.exeAfter downloading, do an extraction to a folder of your choice but it defaults to "C:CompaqSP20920". Within that folder find the file: "SP20920AudioSetupCTOem.cfg" and delete it. (This step allows you to install it on any XP machine)Then, execute "SP20920AudioSetupSetup.exe"So far, it works just fine for me. :-wave

Thanks William.I am very glad to be back (albeit part-time).A little bed-rest does a body good :)

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks for the info Kathy!I can get access to high speed internet access, so I will get the download and give it a try!Scott :-)

You're welcome Scott.Something I forgot to mention. The installer puts some AOL shortcuts (no software or anything just the shortcuts) on you system (Start menu and on the desktop) that are easily deleted. An annoyance, to be sure, but not a show-stopper.

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks Kathy. Those shortcuts are easy enough to get rid of.Have a nice evening!Scott :-) Happy Flying!Colorado Springs, ColoradoP.S. Nice photo of you and your family! My son is only 4 1/2, but he is already intrigued with airplanes, and has flown with me a couple of times.

I'll assume that since you said XP, that this is only a fix for those who have that OS?I know... it's a stupid question... but ya don't know if ya don't ask.-j

Guest dek

ScottPilot, Used to cost me 8-10 FPS with the sound on (SB Live 5.1 Gamer).Here's what worked for me! Device Manager-->Computer-->Update drivers-->Standard PC Note: When your computer restarts, you will have to re-install your video card. Caution: Use this at own risk.I've not heard of this causing problems with anyone.I believe the change to individual IRQ's (instead of all on IRQ9) has improved overall pc performance, certainly smoother flying.Hope this helps! dek

Guest ScottPilot

Yep!Windows XPScott :-)

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try also!Scott :-)

Guest Aidi

Couple of ideas to add to what has already been said..As above, IRQ9 i found was not the best IRQ to work off. If your pc has two com ports, and one of them is not being used, disable it in the bios. That (it did in my case) put the soundblaster live onto the IRQ 3. That sorted things out when running winxp pro. Now that i have gone back to winme (for multi monitor support) mine kept on locking up with a high pitched whistle, which was pretty much pointing to the soundcard. I flashed my bios to the lastes version and not a single problem since. Motherbaord is an I-WILL K266, so it might just be a specific to my board.Hope this might help in some way alsohttp://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks!I will consider that IRQ also. I have had NO other problems with Windows XP. Actually, most of my other games run better in XP than Win ME.I am even running FLY! 2, and the framerates and smoothness in that sim are great.Happy Simming!Scott :-)

Guest ScottPilot

OK,I have eliminated most of the stuttering and increased the FPS by doing the following:1) Removed my SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer card from the PCI slot next to my AGP slot to the LAST PCI slot (furthest from) the AGP port. This re-assigned the IRQ from the soundcard to 9. It was sharing 11 with my video card.2) Turned down the sound hardware acceleration in DirectX to BASIC.3) Changed my monitor's refresh rate to 75HZ. (Also did this in the DirectX override box.)4) Turned VSYNC OFF (Also tested with VSYNC ON - No Improvement)5) Turned the sound quality in MSFS2K2 down to MEDIUM6) Resolution in MSFS2K2 is 1280 X 1024 16-Bit Color7) Most sliders MAXED in FS2K28) NOT using the via 4-in-1 drivers update (using Windows XP native)9) Installed the SB-Live! Update drivers from Creative's website for Windows XP. (Using the Windows XP native drivers, which don't support surround or EAX, didn't improve my FPS or smoothness.)After doing much research at other hardware forums and getting input from this forum, I have been able to improve my frame rates ( average is 18-20FPS) and overall smoothness of th sim. I have determined that the problem is with the SoundBlaster Live! series of cards and Windows XP. The driver support for Win XP from Creative isn't very good at this point.I only get a small amount of stuttering due to a drop in the FPS when banking the airplane beyond 30 degrees. If I turn the sound completely off, the stuttering goes away. This is a issue with the Soundblaster Live! cards specifically (according to numerous posts on the winexperience hardware forum.)So, until creative comes out with more driver updates, or I can afford to get another card (such as an Audigy) the above steps are what worked for me to improve the overall performance of FS2K2 using the SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer card.Thanks to those of you who contributed to this post!Happy Simming :-)ScottATP/CFII in the real aviation worldMy system specs:PIII 1GHZ (Self Built)512 MB SDRAM120GB Hard Drive SpaceDFI Motherboard (Via chipset)(NO on-board Sound or Video)Visiontek Geforce 4 440MX 64MB Card (Refresh Rate forced @75HZ)Dual 17

I'm not sure if what my problem is but I have some of the same hardware as the other posters here. When I first start FS2002 it hangs at a regualr beat for about 30 seconds or so. Thats when I'm in the cockpit. Then when I change views, it does it again, for about another 20 to 30 seconds. Then it goes away when I'm in the air. Upon putting my gear down it starts all over, it just pauses and then keeps going for about 30 seconds and then is smooth. This is driving me mad, it doesn't do this in any other game, including CFS2. Wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this.AMD XP 1700DFI AD73 Pro (via chipset)GeForce 3 Ti-200256 Micron DDRMicrosoft ForceFeedback ProMaxtor 40gb 7200Creative SB Live ValueWindows XP Pro