Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pabra

How detailed do we really need aircraft to be?

I'm really trying hard to complete an aircraft for the first time. I seem to get half way through and run into a snag, then give up. Well, I really wanted a C-5, so i went after it. Here lies the dilema, how much is too much? Do i really need opening cargo doors? Do i need the intake bypass doors or opening crew doors? Does it make the plane fly better? Or does it just make for pretty screen shots? I fear that if i put in all the detail that i want, it will kill frame rates. What to do...what to do..

The way I figure it, you're doing it for your own fun first and foremost !! So what do YOU think is important? Flight model, external eye candy? Working VC? Actual colors/markings of existing a/c?After all, there are over 600 people on this forum alone, most of them with different interests and opinions ;-)Follow your heart and you'll get the best results and most satisfaction... that's my take on it ;-) :-jumpy :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cdd6a6a60efc7f5.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

>After all, there are over 600 people on this forum alone, >most of them with different interests and opinions ;-) >You bet !When someone says "detailed aircraft" I immediately think of detailed panel with well rendered/simulated gauges, excellent flight model, the last on my mind are turbine blades or opening cargo doors ... Michael J.

MichaelI go with that ;-)I feel that too much emphasis is placed on showing every rivet on the outside. While great to (have I drool at some of the detail coming forth at present) I do feel there are other areas which should have equal or even greater importance.Flight modelling, panels, functionality, VCs, sounds, interior details, to name just a few.Other than the initial walkaround I dont really get to examine detail from the outside in flight other than in the sim ;-) and often turn that down for frame rates.jason,I think you should look at the overall package of the aircraft and not just the aircraft outside detail, but thats just my view.As they say "whatever turns you on :-)"Peter

Guest Pabra

The overall looks of the aircraft should be convincing in terms of rounded fuselage shape, smooth contact points where the wings meet the body, accurate cockpit windows, wings, flaps, slats and landing gear with doors. And a virtual cockpit is not a detail but a built-in part of the plane as a pilot sees the aircraft most of the time from in there, but I guess for a model builder this IS is a big detail. One of the 600+ opinions :-). Paul Brand