Sign in to follow this  

importing metar in FLY2

I have been using Fly?Fly2K for some time and I am familiar with importing metarfiles in these programs and it works verywell. Since a few weeks I use FLY2 ( patched up to build 230 )but I can`t get the imported weather working as it should. After placing the metarfile in the metarfolder and importing this file in FLY2 it is possible to see that the weather has been imported .You can see the settings in the weather pull down windows.You can hear the correct ATIS for the area.You can see the clouds.BUT THERE IS NO RAIN,SNOW NOR WINDS ,and the metar filetells it should. Can you tell me what to do to get it working properly.Greetz Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Greetz,That's definitely strange. I actually was expecting that you wouldn't have received the proper ATIS, so it's more confusing than I thought. David Sandberg (of InfoMETAR fame) is currently working with me on issues with the METAR importer. So far we've found that Fly! is incorrectly interpolating weather with surrounding observation sample points that get initialized to random "default" weather settings. Because of this, many METAR imports get interpolated to who knows what, and you don't see the true METAR effects. This could be related to what you are seeing. We are working on this right now.Rich

Great news Rich... happy to know you guys are still working on improving the sim...Cheers

Nice to know, Rich... I downloaded weather earlier this afternoon for the Montana region (Billings, to be exact)... Couple things I had happen right off:1. Either the METAR report wasn't read correctly, and with an altimeter setting of 30.78 inches (Boy, talk about a strong Artic High, eh?) and setting altimeter, Billings' elevation says 3695 ft, but the altimeter read 3900 plus ft. 2. Ceilings weren't correct... first time it put the ceilings well below my station altitude.So, as you are aware of problems, thoought I'd just re-confirm them for you... :-)Thanks for all the hard work!Ken WoodCNN International Weather

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest DSandberg

Hi Ken, my ole' InfoMETAR beta testing pal! :)The ceiling problem you described could be the result of some AGL/MSL confusion that's been hanging around in Fly! since v1.0 (and which becomes more of an issue when lower cloud decks occur at airports well above sea level) ... or it could be that combined with the more general problem Rich described (the one we're currently butting heads with). The altimeter thing seems likely to be a bugged report, as the referenced general problem would tend to moderate the observed weather rather than producing extremes.But rest assured that I have all of the above on my agenda. :-bigangel :-lol --David Sandberg(author of InfoMETAR)

it's the first time ever i post in a newsgroup, so maybe the message is not on the right place, but i've nearly the same problem as leen:i can see the weather in the flight-planner, but i see only the default weather at the airport.i've made nothing else than generate new weather data in the last week und placing the metarfiles into the metar file of a clean fly2 installation (patched up to build 230)but nothing changed. and yes i read the faq of InfoMetar so i think the program works right.please helppilatus

If you follow the FAQ, then the metars will work part of the time. As noted in the previous posts there are problems with Fly!II and metars. Don't expect that they will work 100% until all of the issues are resolved and a patch comes out.

Randall Rocke

thank you randallthe curious thing is that it works fine with the last patch (build 210) and the first time i tried fly2 (2 month ago).so i have to wait for the next patch.greetingspilatus