Sign in to follow this  

I think I need to upgrade from my Ti200 to a Ti4600

After months of tweaking RENDER.ini and Fly.ini, I'm still very frustrated with my framerates. I'm absolutely amazed I'm having trouble given my system spex (below). Any last minute advice? I hate to drop $399 for a GF4 4600, when I just bought the setup below in the Fall. But I am so frustrated flying around areas with lots of TM buildings (eg; NYC in particular) that I'm about to throw in the towel.I'm uploading my FLY.ini and RENDER.ini, hoping someone can comment.-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

FYI, I have also attached an example screen-shot from LGA facing SW toward Manhattan. In this shot, my engines are off, the plane is not moving. I get 4FPS (or less, actually) and my video card is not even re-drawing moving objects. I also uploaded the version of my RENDER.ini used for that flight.A few notes:1 - I've tried both TM128 and TM256 texture packs. I am using v211 (latest as far as I know).2 - I've tried tweaking RENDER.ini files heavy on 128 textures and heavy on 256 textures. The one I uploaded in my original post seems to do the best overall, while using TM128 textures. The attached RENDER.ini below was an attempt to increase 256 slots in order to better handle the demands of the NYC area scenery.3 - I only seem to have problems in areas with lots of TM buildings. Flying in generic areas with no (or few) TM's has no problems. Also, flying in default TRI locations, such as San Francisco, have no problem even though there are buildings.Hope someone can help save me $400 on a new card.-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hello DK!I see that you unique hits for the 64 slots are 55, and you have only 52 slots allocated. In this case, this is certainly the cause of your poor frame rate.Hope this helps!Pascal

Guest tonyc

4fps is not a sign of a weak video card, especially when you're running on p4 1.8.I think you need to check your agp drivers if it's a via chip that your motherboard has on it. I'd start with the original fly2 render.ini and definitely make sure that your start with a FLY2 scenery before you check your settings with something as intense as Scott's NYC. Also make sure that you do not have a very large AGP memory allocation in you BIOS. Start with as little as 32meg. Use Ctrl-F to see how your frame rates work. If they start high and then drop as well as creating an uneven wave in the very low teens, it's probably your agp memory which is being used. This is very slow memory, and will create this fps anomaly.I have an AMD 2000+( 1600 mhz), a very cheap motherboard, and a Geforce 3 ti200 , and my frame rates are great, even in Scott's NYC. In fact, you can check some of the pics I uploaded sometime ago on this forum. Do not spend the money on the video card yet. You have something else going on.tony

Also try different AGP Appeature settings in your bios. I find 64MB works best for me. When I had it a 256 (half my Sdram) I got the 4 frames bug. If you go to low you will get a vertex error upon Fly!II start.Paulhttp://www.advdigitalmedia.com/sig.jpg

Pascal:I've tried all kinds of settings, including increasing the 64 slots way up. Thank you for the advice, but in this particular case, I've not found increasing these slots to be helpful. One thing I'm having trouble understanding is what the three lines in the DEBUG screen actually mean? What's the difference between MAX and UNIQUE? And what does "O,T" mean? Also, how does one tell if the 256-bit or 128-bit slots are low?-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

My AGP Aperture is at 64mb. This seems to work the best for me. When I got to 32MB, I seem to get the SVertexIndex error, or something like that. I understand from the old forum that this error occured when you ran out of memory on your video card. 64MB gives me a pretty steady framerate, albiet low.Can you send along your RENDER.ini? Since you have the same card I have, maybe I can take some tips from you.BTW: I did rename my FLY.ini and RENDER.ini and tried to start with that fresh (have Fly re-generate them). While in areas like San Francisco, which is all default scenery in my setup, I have no problems. It's just in areas with heavy TM buildings. NYC area is the worst. Philly is bad (the Philly airport). I had EWR also for a while, but eventually deleted it b/c its the same high poly count as Philly. Fort Lauderdale airport is also high poly count.Bottom line, when I have default TRI scenery areas, TerraScene areas with only a few buildings, or default ground with no buildings, I have good rates. When I fly anywhere near areas with TM buildings, I drop off to the teens and even into the single digits (NYC especially).By the way, can you explain what you mean by this...I think you need to check your agp drivers if it's a via chip that your motherboard has on it. What do you mean, a "via chip". I have a Dell Dimension 8200. Its an Intel P4/1.8GB processor. Would this machine have this "via chip"?Please explain. Maybe you're on to something.-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hey Dk,Welcome back, hope you had a good trip..I guess the first place I'ed start is to re-evaluate the running system.First to make sure we get "what it is" lets set:[Game]suspendOnTaskSwitch=1 to 0This will allow us to "Alt+Tab", switch back to the desktop and run Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), and find out what is running and how much ram is being allocated.Just start Fly! II and the when in the game start your aircraft as normal and when your "on route (autopilot so you dont crash)" in the area where you get the worst performance, do "Alt+Tab". The system will switch to your desktop with Fly! II minimized on the taskbar.Then "Ctrl+Alt+Del", Windows Task Manager will open, Click on the Processes Tab and write down your running processes with the mem usage. Also on the bottom bar is the Processes, CpuUsage and Commit Charge data, record that also.Under the Performance Tab is your Memory Profile ( I know this is a pain) but record everything there also...Come back and post...We will try to get to the bottom of this together....

Dk, I keep forgetting this forum uses the brackets for html....In your Fly.ini set:{Game} "The {} are brackets"suspendOnTaskSwitch=1 to 0

Thanks Clint for joining in on the discussion. I will take care of this over the weekend and post results. Hey... any idea what the "via chip" comment was from Tonyc....>> I think you need to check your agp drivers if it's a via chip that your motherboard has on it. Wondering what he meant.-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hey DK..If I remember correctly you own a Dell..I'm assuming its a Demension 4400 or perhaps an Optiplex considering your components you have posted...if so then you should have an Intel 845 Chipset, so its not an issue. Tonyc was refering to the Mainboard chipset. Via has some issues, or Nvida has some, depending on your point of view, between the way the VIA AGP port is handled by some releases of Nvidia drivers..Anyway this is not an issue for you, but for anyone else out there who has a Via based mainboard, there are a number of compatibility problems between the Via 4in1 driver(s) and various Nvidia releases.I myself have found Via's v437A. and Nvidia's Detonator 28.32 with DirectX 8.1 to be very stable on a fresh install. You just got to be carefull on loading other games that assume you dont have the latest Directx, and load an older version over the top (there are more than you think!!!), for this can be the most common source of gaming problems

Tony,You are so correct about the 815G being slow, it is, but Intel never intended it to be anything else. The "G" is the built in i740 core for a integrated video controller on the mainboard...ie...cheap!But your article referes to the "graphics core", the "g" part, not the 815 chip as a whole. If you disable the integrated core in bios and use a AGP card it runs just fine..As far as a "845G", Intels site:http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/Has no ref to a "845G", and the PDF for the 845 makes no ref to an integrated graphics core, so I have to think that the author of the article was confused. This link is to the Platfform Overview of the 845, and shows no integrated graphics core:http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/845/

I have a Dell 8200. Does this post above apply to my model? How can I find out which chipset I have?-DK----Fly! II v230 on a P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, nVidia 64MB Ti200, WinXP.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

My stats you requested are below. Note that there is only one application running - "Fly2.exe" so I didn't bother taking a screenshot of the APPS tab.Any ideas?----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia 64MB Ti200 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.