Sign in to follow this  

Problem with Caravan and ATL approach

When I have the approach locked in on the autopilot, it wants to put me down several miles directly in front of the runway. It lines me up fine but lowers me way too quickly when using the Caravan. I narrowly missed a major catastrophe today putting myself and by 11 passengers' lives in danger. Well, this is only a simulation, but I'd like to keep it real.Just kidding, but I am having the above aformentioned problem only with the Caravan and not, for example, when approaching using the 737-400.Any advice is strongly welcomed.Thanks,Rob

Hi Rob,My guess is that because the Caravan doesn't have auto throttle (speed hold) you are coming in too slow, causing a higher than normal negative vertical speed. Pitch vs speed etc.The 737 on the other hand does have speed hold and should do much better at maintaining the glide slope.I hope your passengers are all well!Andy (YSCB)

With all due respect, why would you fly an AC like the Caravan on autopilot? Especially on approach? I think I'd die if I looked forward and saw my local air taxi op pilot with his hands in his lap, trusting my life to a "utility" grade AP.michael

Guest RonB49

Just to add to what Andy said, I fly the approach at just over 100 knots in the Caravan (with or without autopilot). I got the tip for this approach speed from someone on this forum who, I believe has expereince as a RW Caravan pilot.So I use 100+ knots to the threshold, then cut the throttle and flair, and touchdown at about 80 - 85 knots. This works for me. R-

Agreed. I too know a RW Caravan pilot who says she'll stall on you well before you "feel" like she will.michael

Thanks guys!The next time, I will make sure to stay at least 100+ knots on the way down. I actually don't remember the speed I was flying whilst arriving.Andy, the passengers are doing quite well, especially since they have all canceled their returned flights.Michael, I have installed a barrier between meyself and the passengers, so they can't really see what I am doing. Once we are in the airplane, and before taxiing (sp?), I lock it. I did this just in case ol Ollie Okbar wants to take a flight with me.Thanks for the info!

Ron, you were absolutely correct. It was my speed on final. I kept it up at or over 100 knots and was fine. It has been several days since posting the original post, but I tried it again today and it worked.ThanksRH