Sign in to follow this  
Guest nycflyer

Two Bell 407's take an air tour of Manhattan and Libert

Guest Wayne Smith

Here is a link to a story about our two-ship flight of Bell 407's that took a flight around Manhattan Island this weekend, using Scott's NYC scenery enhancement for Fly2. Robert (Callsign-Helibird) and I (Callsign-SimPilot on Fly2 multi) landed at each of the four heliports in the Scott's NYC scenery, and also made a quick stop over at Liberty Island. It was great fun!http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47Hope you enjoy our screenshots, posted to the screenshot forum!Wayne

That is far out!I wish I had a joystick, just to fly the copter.I will look you guys up, from time to time, on the server (if you don't mind!) I could fly the Stearman.

HiThats a really inspiring trip! What a feast!Given me a few ideas for when I can fly my heli without crashing!I'm very interested to know what stick you use to control your Bell. I wondered if you have any tips for setting up a joytsick with 4 buttons.ThanksRobertHertfordshire, UK.

Guest Jan

HelloNice trip guys.Happy to see others having fun with FlyII helicopters.To Robert.I think succses in controlling a helicopter is first of allthe right flight controlls.If you don't use stick,pedals and a collective you will get problems.As in real life you can't controllall axes within one input device.FlyII is so great that it supportseveral input devices at one time.I have a joystick(Logitech)a setof Microsoft Racing wheel pedals(the wheel is also connected,but isnot used unless I drive some cars) and last a Microsoft stick thatis "butchered" and rebuild as a collective.Two is USB,and one stdgameport.Then it's a total new world in controlling the helos.Justlike they use in real world(almost)You get a lot of extra buttons,and the possibility to use the throttle as a throttle and not as thecollective.Total controll.And beside the sticks,also set the torqueeffects in the realism section to zero.They are to exagerated in myopinion.Also winds should be set to zero if you want to learn hovering.But most important,your controlls.Here is a few pictures of my collective.If you have an old stick with a throttle wheel,it willcost you almost nothing to build one yourselfe.Jan :)

Guest nycflyer

Looks great Wayne!-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPSEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Guest Wayne Smith

Sure! We'd love to fly with you. Look for me on the server most evenings and weekends (Eastern Time)Regards,Wayne"SimPilot"

Guest Wayne Smith

Robert,Thanks for your note! In response to your question, I am using the "old" Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS programmable stick, the matching TQS throttle, and the original Thrustmaster Rudder Control System. As is the case with real helicopter flying, I make small, gentle control inputs, and, following the advice that I read in other posts on AVSIM about helicopter flying in flight sims, I hold the stick close to its base, as opposed to higher up. I try to counter uncommanded movements of the helicopter when they first start. Also, I have found that when landing, it helps to try to land into the wind if possible. Another thing is that you need high frame rates. If the screen updates aren't fast enough, you will have problems.Hope this helps!Wayne