Sign in to follow this  

pls comment on upgrade

Hi, I have decided to upgrade my computer and have selected new componants but not knowing much about computers I would really appreciate someone who knows about them to comment before I buy. I have bought the parts from www.dabs.comI currently have a pentium 3 550mhz processor, a motherboard with no AGP ports and an integrated 8mb graphics card. Its a wonder fly! runs at all (I also play max payne and it barely works!) Ok, here's the parts: AMD Athlon 1.3 Ghz socket A processor,Gigabyte SoA VIA KT133A ATX A motherboard and GeForce 2 MX 200 32mb graphics card. One problem is the motherboard is compatable with 168 pin DIMM PC133SDRAM. I currently have 168 pin DIMM PC100 SDRAM. Will my memory be compatable? Thanks for any help/suggestionsRic

Guest Josve

Go for a xp1700/1800 instead,not much difference in price....Don't buy a mx200 card! if you want a gforce2 go for the mx400.For the mobo issue...I hold a button on Asus...check out the Asus A7V 266-E with the Via KT266A chipset.Supports DDR SDRAM. the PC100 Sdram is on it's way out!! So for later uppgrades I would go for that!!Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif][/div

Thanks,I don't have too much money to spend, I just want something that will allow fly to run and not crawl! I will have to make some compromises, I take it a momo that supports pc100 SDRAM will not support PC 133?RIC

Guest Josve

I'm not sure about the 100/133 issue but on my last mobo I could use both.But If you don't have some monetas to spend...at least go for the mx400 video card.I have tried both,and my experience is that the mx200 was no good at all compared to the mx400.The card I have now is an Asus gforce2 mx400,it's cheap and very good(see my beautiful pics :))Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif][/div

Guest Roy

You can use both PC100 and PC133 on a mobo that supports PC133, but you can't use PC133 if the mobo only supports PC100.I'm not so sure though, if you can mix them, so to be on the safe side, stick to only one type.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

That's correct A 133 mobo supports PC66/100/133 but if you put 133 on a 100 mobo I think it'll work but at 100mhz...And forget the MX200 and go for an MX400, but since the Geforce 4 are coming out, you could get a Geforce 3 instead for a couple dollars.cheersTom

Thanks.I am having a little trouble understanding the video cards, What is the difference between an mx200 and an mx400?Also what does 'video out' mean? I have seen the exact same card exept one is

OK Thanks for all your help. I know this isn't a hardware forum.I have taken your advise and this is what I am going with:SoA VIA 133A ATX motherboard (made by Abit)AMD Athlon XP1700 SoA 1.47Ghz processorGeForce mx400 64mb graphics cardIs this OK?Once again sorry for being O/T but I gotta learn from somewere!Thanks Ric

If I may ask, how much are you paying?? Otherwise, very wise choice, I have an MX400 and it works real fine I get good FPS in the air (40-50 FPS) and around 20 depending how much terramodels there are on the airport...CheerstomIt's always a pleasure to help whenenver anyone needs help