Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

FLY!2K vs FLY!II

Hi, everyone - I've owned FLY!2K for about 6 months. I bought it because it seems like it's the original FLY! with all the patches. So, question #1 : is this pretty much correct ?Question # 2 : what final patch (or couple of patches) are needed for FLY!II ?Question # 3 : what are the major differences/improvements between these two versions ? I've gathered that there are some add-ons that work with FLY!2K but not FLY!II, like some (or all) add-on aircraft ( ?), and probably vice versa. It seems like most folks here have simply left FLY!2K for FLY!II, in spite of all the little patch problems here and there - I haven't seen many FLY!2K posts ever since FLY!II was released.I've been reading a lot of the posts regarding the patches, diff's, etc., but it's kind of hard to keep track of them all.My fastest PC, a 550 MHz laptop w/no special video (of course), is not really fast enough for flying even FLY!2K, although I have been able to figure out and really appreciate how everything works in this sim. I really bought FLY!2K for whenever I do upgrade - at that time, that PC will easily run both versions, so FPS differences between the 2 versions doesn't really matter. I already know that I'll need more oomph for FLY!II.Thanks in advance.Dave H.

>3) I'll leave that to someone else.... >Sure Ken............... no problem! :)Visually, FLYII is much better with it's graphics such as land mass & aircraft exteriors. For just about everything else, I prefer the past versions of FLY with TerraScene2, SKY, & the V88's. Not to mention the menu's, the sectional maps, flight dynamics, etc.L.Adamson

1. Actually, no. ;) Although Fly!2K is the same as the original Fly! updated to the "Final" patch v1.01.87, you would need to make one more big patch to really bring Fly!2K to its best capabilities. You'll need to download the SDK v1.01.88 "User" or "Developer" versions to get the most out of Fly!2K. The SDK adds a lot more functionality and bug fixes that really take the 2K version to the limit. If you don't make this patch, you will not be able to use many of the best aircraft (like Rob Young's v88 series), utilities, scenery programs, etc.Many of us still run Fly!2K - it's polished and smooth, with loads of Terrasceneries, aircraft, cloud sets (Sky!), and many other add-ons and attributes. To get the most out of it, be sure to check the VCF (Video Card File) FAQ on Ken Salter's web site and get the most out of your video.2. Just like Ken says.3. I'll also leave that to someone else. Even with all of its faults, Fly!II is a major step forward in many ways. With the current patches that are available and a good computer, its a beautiful sim and breaks a lot of new ground. As you may have noticed, there's so much wonderful new scenery, aircraft and other development going on right now, it's hard to keep up with the downloads that are available.

Randall Rocke

Guest Ken_Salter

1) Ooops, been a while since I've touched Fly!2K. I'm one of those naive people who think that Fly!II is superior to Fly!2K and in some respects superior to other simulators. I guess this comes from all the different scenery/development projects I've done plus being on the "beta" team (one day we'll have t-shirts) gives me the rose coloured glasses...http://www.thesalters.org/images/Avsim_sig_KS.jpgthe sarcasm was a freebie ;-)

My best advise - take a look at many FLY!II screenshots you see around (specially on the screenshot forum). If you like them (as say compared to FLY!2k) you will probably like FLY!II. If you don't like them - stay with FLY2k. Michael J.

As I often say at work:"Sarcasm is just another service that we offer here.";-)

Thanks a bunch, everyone - nice little summaries. I especially appreciate the info about the "final" patch for 2K. I had definitely missed that one. What about the part of Q #3 : I've gathered that there are some add-ons that work with FLY!2K but not FLY!II, like some (or all) add-on aircraft ( ?), and probably vice versa.I recall a somewhat recent post about this, specifically about aircraft.Oh,... regarding delivering sarcasm ... kinda like "sarcasm with a smile" ?Dave H.

Dave,None of the aircraft for Fly!/Fly!2K are compatible with Fly!II and vice-versa. However, some of the special add-ons that were a big part of Fly!2K are finally coming out in Fly!II renderings that are wonderful.Aircraft - as soon as you get the SDK patch installed get all of Rob Young's fantastic v88 versions of the Fly! default aircraft. As a group, I believe they represent the finest achievement in flight modeling ever achieved in a sim. They give you handling and performance that are very, very close to the real world. You will also find other wonderful aircraft: a Citabria, a Mooney that is a work of art, and many others.Scenery - there were GBs of great Terrascenery and other scenery produced for Fly! and still available here at Avsim. Though the files are large, they are still available as complete downloadable 1/4 and full globe tiles for many areas of the U.S. and other parts of the world. For instance, you will find 21 globe tiles of Terrascened Carolinas landscapes from yours truly, and many other scenes from other authors.We've made great strides recently in new Terrascene procedures and adaptation for Fly!II, but it's going to require a lot more do-it-your-self attitude from the end-user, as Fly!II's higher resolution makes for much larger files.I also recommend the great Cleared 4 Takeoff scripted ATC environment. If you don't have this, download the Flyscripts v1.2 program, the Flyscripts v1.21 Patch, Cleared 4 Takeoff v1, and C4TO v1.1 Update.One of the greatest things about Fly!2K was the great Sky! SE program from Jak Fearon & Co. This wonderful clouds program had some great new skies created for it before Fly!II came out - Sky! and its various environments are not really compatible with Fly!II, so there is another thing that makes Fly!2K unique.

Randall Rocke

Thanks, Randall. I need to save off these posts.I've already been through all the aircraft/scenery downloads several years ago with another sim, although the results of all that work was enjoyable. I also bought a closed sim a couple of years ago that was quite appealing because that meant I would spend more time flying instead of researching, downloading and installing aircraft/sceneries, and then, trouble-shooting which add-on broke what. I'm primarily interested in general aviation and IFR anyway. Until a sim has every road, railroad track, lake, water towers you can read, etc., that's on a sectional for any route you choose, VFR dead-reckoning and pilotage will always be difficult or impossible.But, looks like I'll bring my FLY!2K up to speed in preparation for when I get a faster PC. It's a sim that definitely has some great-looking and more-functional panels, a better ATC, weather add-ons, etc., minimal patching, and add-on downloads (unless I want everything). Meanwhile, my other sims will continue to get a workout and probably always will. I have a hard time discarding something that's served me so well, and is not really "obsolete".Thanks again, everyone.Dave H.

>take a look at many FLY!II screenshots you >see around (specially on the screenshot forum). Hi MichaelI dont mean to seem lazy but where is the Screenshot Forum?I'm quite new here. Is there a way to identify or search for messages with screen shots - particularly Fly II and Fly2K.Oh just so that I'm clear I presume that FlyII is the latest version and Fly2K is basically the original Fly! with 1.01.87 final?ThanksRobert