Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

3D Model Transparency (Again)

Guest Mgarmy

I know this has been discussed a zillion of times, but it seems that this is an area where there are too many options for making mistakes or not understanding what the exact process is. I use FSDS to make my 3D models. After mapping the textures to my model I export it to Fly II format. What I do then is loading the TGA file generated by FSDS and apply my alpha channels to get my transparency. As there are several area

Try adding your alpha channels to your source texture maps. Save them as 32 bit targas. Then export to fly2. Fly2 will recognize the alpha channels. One catch though, you need to set the object properties to transparency=yes within the fly2 importer after you are finished cramming.Hope this helps...VinPMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Mannie,there is a another way to do it if you feel too confused.export your model (mymodel.smf) and texture (mymodel.tif) as if there is no transparency.place your model into the scenery and exit fly.then open mymodel.tif in your paint program , apply alpha channel to the tiff and save it as it is. make sure that the tiff is indexed color not rgb.when you go back to fly, you should have the transparency...Vin,good to see you and your jumping man in the forum after a while...:-)all the best,biber

Guest Mgarmy

Vin, Biber, thanks for your input. I managed to get it to work by applying the alpha to the TGA file. Question, does the alpha color have to be black? How do I get different transparancy levels and when does it make sense to use RAW files as opposed to TIF files?The problem I have with making any kind of TIF for Fly is that Fly does not recognize the TIF file created by PSP as a valid TIF format. I tried various settings when saving and none of them are accepted by Fly. Does anyone else had a problem with PSP saving TIF files for Fly?Mannie

About the varying transparency, You can use shades of grey. White is opaque, Pure black is transparent, and shades of grey inbetween will give you varying degrees of translucency.As far as the TIFs go, make sure you set the TIF to Indexed Color prior to saving it.VinPMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Guest Mgarmy

Vin,Whatever grey I give the area I am selecting it always shows completly transparent. Whether I use 0,0,0 or 128,128,128 its all the same :(Another strange thing is that when you have for example a house with transparent windows you can always see the scenery behind it (sky and texture). Is this a bug or what? Right now I solved it by adding parts behind the windows which make me kindda of a house decorator which was not on my agenda for this scenery :)Any suggestions?Thanks,Mannie

Guest Hagar

I have the same problem with towers. I have to make a second, inner roof with the normal facing down, and give it a dark texture to avoid seeing through the roof when looking in the windows...Is there a way in Max to make the face (roof) two-sided ?

Guest Mgarmy

I use FSDS so I don't know how you would handle this in MAX. Right now I solve it by placing another part behind the transparent part which in return creates needles complexities which also affects framerates.Are you succesfull in creating different levels of transparencies?Mannie

Andrew,the texture you apply to the object in material editor have to be 2-sided , you should just tick the "two-sided" option in the material editor...fly recognizes two sided textures.all the best,Biber

Guest Hagar

Mannie,When you have made the alpha channel you have to give it the right grayscale clolour. You should end up with 4 channels, R, G, B and alpha. Mark the alpha channel, and fill that area with a light gray. In Photoshop, 24% on the "grayscale" slider works well for me.Biber, Thanks for the tip, I found it. And congratulations with your airport scenery ! Half-finished with the Engm tower now, don`t know if I dare to start on the Terminal :)