Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

HELP! Fly2 will not load anymore....

Guest tonyc

Without any warning, I exited FLY2 and went to bed. This morning , when I tried to restart it, the screen would go black and the computer would then have to be reset. I unistalled it and installed it. The screen simply comes up black. I've tried other programs, and they all seem to be working ok. I have not changed drivers or anything else. Any ideas? I am really puzzled, considering that I've had FLY2 for many months running beautifully, and the occasional problems would show up after the splash screen. tony

Tony, Heres one suggestion for starters. Go into your system folder in FlyII! and look to see if there is a auto.sav file there if so. Delete it and then try to run Fly. let me know if this works.Why Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 23.11ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Tony,I had the EXACT same problem. FLY!II (ver. .23)Athlon 800256mb ramHercules Prophet II Pro. GF2 64mbWindows XP (HOME)It turns out on my system that it was "Microsoft NETMEETING that was causing this." I spent a tremendous amount of time trouble shooting it. Netmeeting must not be running in Windows XP for FLY!II to run, at least on my system. Anyhow, I would just think about what you have done to your system. It is mostly likely Netmeeting or some other program that you have added recently that is causing the confilict. Have you downloaded a newer version of MSN messenger, changed bios/video-card settings, etc.Hope this helps..CB

Guest tonyc

I see that you too have a k7s5a. I don't know how the on-board audio option got turned on( I think I know), but this conflicted with FLY2 and not the other programs. As soon as I disabled it, FLY came back on. Too bad, because I permanently erased all those wonderful addons,including the new 757beta. I have all of them; it will take a little time to get fly2 back to where I had it. But, for your information, this problem occurred after installing the new bios which is supposed to add fastwrites, which for FLY2 inproves performance. Of course, the bios does not see any of the installed pci cards and unless one remembers to disabled them, FLY2 will lock up. thanks for the quick reply.tony

Guest tonyc

Thanks to you, I realized that when I had changed the bios the audio card comes enabled by default. Since I have sound blaster, FLY2 didn't like it and locked up the computer. It's weird, because I would have expected the computer to lock up without FLY2 because of the conflict. Anyway, I got it running. thanks.tony

>I see that you too have a k7s5a. I don't know how the >on-board audio option got turned on( I think I know), but >this conflicted with FLY2 and not the other programs. As >soon as I disabled it, FLY came back on. Too bad, because I >permanently erased all those wonderful addons,including the >new 757beta. I have all of them; it will take a little time >to get fly2 back to where I had it. But, for your >information, this problem occurred after installing the new >bios which is supposed to add fastwrites, which for FLY2 >inproves performance. Of course, the bios does not see any >of the installed pci cards and unless one remembers to >disabled them, FLY2 will lock up. thanks for the quick >reply. >>>tonyyep this board can give you some hair pulling fits sometimes. it took some getting use to for me. but overall I really like it. Now about that bios upgrade you spoke of. Did the bios upgrade work Ok other than the conflict with FlyII? I tried to do a upgrade a couple of weeks after getting this board and I kept getting some crazy error about not finding Some type of Win file or something like that. It kinda scared me so i just gave up. I didnt want to mess things up and not be able to boot up. I may have asked you this before. What type of video card are you using? How many Meg? Why Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 23.11ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Guest tonyc

The new bios worked ok. I have fast writes enabled and there are more clock speeds to play with. My conflict with FLY was simply one of having forgotten to disable the onboard sound card. Once I disabled it, FLY2 loaded fine. I am still loading the add ons, but if I remember correctly, when I had another motherboard the fast writes increased fps appx 10-20%. There are risks to writing to the bios, but I did it 4 times in the course of one hours,and all without any problems.tony