Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Ti4600 - Only 64MB Recognized????

Got my new VisionTek XTasy GF4 4600 today. Very excited. I pulled out my Ti200 and put in the Ti4600, made sure to uninstall and then totally re-install the Nvidia 28.83 drivers, setup the desktop, and then added some extra slots to my slow RENDER.ini file. When I launched Fly, I got the famous SVertex Index... error. From prior posts, I gather that indicates I exceeded the amount of video memory available.I ran AGPMem.exe to see what's going on and got a report as noted in the attached picture below...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cd9dc8f6577331c.jpgI also checked the display settings, and all appears to be in order...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cd9dc3764e34c77.jpgHere is my RENDER.ini, which according to the "TexMem Calculator" (Excel), only takes up 110MB of video memory.{Graphics}premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0mipLevelCount=7vertexIndexFormat=0{Textures}maxTextures32=16maxTextures32_565=32maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=120maxTextures128=100maxTextures128_565=300maxTextures256=100maxTextures256_565=400maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=2mipMapFlag=896{NonAGP}maxTextures256_565=0{AGP}maxTextures256_565=0Any ideas what's going on? The card works fine with my old Render.ini, which only took up 60MB of video RAM, but in using it, I don't get a huge improvement in framerates b/c I'm still under-allocating tex slots.Help is appreciated. I'm waaaayyyy too excited to see an improvement to be disappointed like this.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Yes. I am using FSAA, but it shouldn't require 64MB, should it? It appears from the AGPMem report that I only have 64MB on board.I had an idea -- could this have something to do with my AGP Aperture size? It is set to 64MB. I had read that one should keep the Aperture as small as possible, but maybe the 64MB size is too small for the 128MB card, even though it was fine for the 64MB card.Thoughts?-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

The AGP aperture size needs to be half of your system ram... That's what I have and it works fine...Try it and tell me...cheersTom

I would try different settings for the AGP Aperture size, it seems to work best if you go as low as you can (for me 128MB), which helps with the 4fps problem with some addon scenery.Paulhttp://www.advdigitalmedia.com/sig3.gif

I adjusted the aperture size to 128MB and the Vertex Error stopped. So that seems to be the problem. Also, AGPMem now shows 128MB. What that tells me is that this little AGPMem tool is useless since it doesn't read the memory available on the card.I got a lot of stuttering using 128MB Aperture size, though. I'm guessing I'm not fully taking advantage of the NVidia card, but rather using a lot of shared video RAM.Another one for the experimentation lab....-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.