Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Three days to check ride...

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! I will report back with the results...Todd

Hi Todd, after following your posts I know you'll do fine.The oral really sets you up in the examiner's mind. And since you know your stuff, he/she will be inclined to give you the "benefit of doubt" on your flight, knowing everyone is nervous. (mine let me repeat a "miss" on the short field landing touchdown point, since everything else had gone well).Remember: the examiner's REAL job is to determine if you are a safe pilot, ready to fly on your own.The answer: you are.Dan Pursel

Forgot to add that this only 44 hours - probably could not have done it without your (FLY) simulation time ...Columbia - great town, great place for a date. But avoid hot days !Michael J.

ToddGood luck and enjoy, yes ENJOY your check ride. Look at it as something FUN and dont be awestruck by either the examiner or situation.Remember he will be looking to see whether hed be happy to send his wife and kids up with you.He shouldnt be bothered if you make a mistake or a few mistakes but whether your on top of the situation, identify the mistake and make a positive rectification.So go out, if the guy is the unfriendly type just get a mental picture of him with boxer shorts covered with bright sunflowers and a silly hat, say to yourself "Im In charge here not him", but most of all say "I am going to ENJOY this", put on your pilot hat and get on with the job in hand.Peter

Excellent advice Peter. I have taken many checkrides that have been career related, they can be extremely successful. A private pilot checkride, is much less rigorous. You don't neccessarily have to "earn it." Don't get me wrong, of course you have to earn it. But my point is, the DE is not looking for rigorously perfected manuavers. Assuming that you follow the PTS (know this inside and out), you will be fine. The DE is just looking for a compentent private pilot that has a fundument understanding of flying knowedge and skills. He is not trying to fail you, as it may seem at times. On my muti-com-inst. check-ride i was very nervous and the DE pushed me by having to deal with a lost comms, gear failure on a single engine ILS approach. Talking about MUTI-TASKING, and prioitization skills. heheh. Anyway, bottom line know not just tell yourself that YOU ARE IN CONTROL. Also, make the test a DYNAMIC learning session. Don't ask questions all the time, because your the one supposted to be questioned. Often a DE will give you PRACTICAL flying advice and critiques of your skills and knowledge that will save your life someday!Good luck,CB :-wave

A bit of advice I can give from taking pri, inst, comm, and CFI (oral so far, flight is on for tuesday, i'm very nervous as well :)). The CFI and COM orals were the hardest I ever did. YOU WON'T KNOW EVERYTING! But if you don't know, fess up! DE's hate (for the most part) someone trying to BS their way. mw

I know I am probably late with this, but Todd, I am sure you will do just fine.Michael talked above about sim flying being an advantage. I agree 100%. I got my PP-ASEL in 46.3 hours. This was due to two factors, IMHO. I did it in 6 months from start to finish. You don't forget procedures when you are flying 2-3 times a week. And second because of sim flying. I credit ProPilot '99 with that one.I made one mistake on my checkride. I forgot to call ground and seek permission for taxiing after my final T&G in the pattern at the end. I had done 3 T&G's with full stop, and been cleared to stay with the tower, without stopping after each one. So on the last one I did an oops. When we got inside, I got my 30 second lecture on me telling him what I did wrong, he handed me my temp and I was on my way.Also during the simulated engine out he kept tweaking the throttle. he also had me do a no-flaps landing which was a piece of cake.My oral was charts, charts, and more charts...And of course tons of airspace wedding cake questions.Have fun, as it is your first flight as PIC and he is just a passenger.Best Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Hello Todd, It seems I'm late too, but I'm sure you will do just fine. The best thing to do is talk to yourself (loud) through every move you do in the plane... the DE will know you are thinking... That is the Key... they want reasoning behind what you do...Make sure you do clearing turns before a manouver, and make clear about how he wants things done... for example: a Stall recovery... I was taught a slightly different method than what he expected... and best, talk to the DE-- get to know him... During my Oral, we talked a lot about his career and his life and the same here.A good question to think about is: You are flying along and all of a Sudden you are not in VFR Conditions... What do you?? I gave him all sorts of explanation about changing altitude, find the nearest airport and what not... I forgot the most simple... The Good weather was where you just came from!! Make a 180 !! ;)Most of the questions are to test your common sense... to see that you don't loose it all if you are not under "Normal" flying conditions... Engine out procedure being the most important of all.Either way... I know you will do great... Welcome to the Other Side... :)Mihir

Very well said. Exactly my experiences too. My check-ride was the best flight lesson I've ever had!Todd, we're all behind you.....Bruce.