Sign in to follow this  
Guest slydon

fly11

Guest slydon

Hope this works this time. Unable to start fly11.

G`day DonI am not sure but I think you do not have memory enough.Try to run Freemem or a program like that.Make sure there is nothing running you do not need.Us ctrl-alt-del and remove everything exept Explorer.You may have up to 96% sources free.What`s your RAM.After bringing my RAM up to 256 it almost never happened to me anymoreGreetzLeen de JagerEHRD

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest slydon

Does not seem like the ram should be the problem. I have 512 on a 1.5mhz machine pentium 4 and windows xp. The program has been running great up until now. Don

Guest andrewluck

The Fly!2 FAQ thread at the top of the forum has a lot of information on how to fix startup crashes.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

OooohpsSorry it was just an idea.You say it was running until now.So it is most likely there is something changed and causingthe trouble.Can you recall any changes lately.GreetzLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest slydon

No, have not made any changes. I fly the program pretty much default. That is why I don't see why I should have these problems. I guess it is just plain old computer problems. My wife says I am a problem so probably that is it!!! I will check that faq. Thanx guys for the comeback. I removed all the hst and sit files I could find and when that did not work I removed the default key file per the faq with no good results. Still get the same message. Don

Uninstall....defrag....reinstall, orUninstall....copy one file(of anything bigger than 64k) into the Fly II directory, rename the Fly II directory to "temp"....Reinstall, then delete the temp directory.Something has gotten corrupted, this way will guarantee new files will actually be created.

Guest slydon

HEY Got it!!!!!!!! I found one more sit file that I had missed. I deleted that and it works now. Thanks guys for your help.

Guest Colins2

Clint,Sorry, but I must disagree with you on this.Why this penchant for uninstalling/reinstalling? What's it supposed to do?If you have a working copy of Fly! and then it stops working, there must be an easy explanation.Fly!2 doesn't write to any of it's system files, it just reads them, so the chance of them becoming corrupted is remote.It does write .hst and .sit files - they don't matter anyway and can be deleted. It may write to the ini files, I don't think so, but even so, if you delete them, Fly will re-create them the next time.That leaves 3rd party add-ons etc.It could be a faulty import from a .dex file, I've seen that happen.(but we all back up our pods before applying changes - don't we???)It's more likely to be a faulty scenery, model or a/c file that is causing the problem.I've been running the Fly! series since the day that Fly! came out and I have never HAD to reinstall. I have done so a couple of times over the years when swapping hard drives, computers etc. but never due to a crash.Regular defragging is always a good idea - agree with you there:-)Colin

Colin,You are probably very correct in you assertion that Fly! II does not write to any files except hst, sit and ini. However my suggestion stems from intimate knowledge of hard drive recording methods and the problems associated with such a complex system. Most people think the data on platters of a hard drive are ones and zeros. This is totaly incorrect. The data at the platter level is a chain of magnetic domains that more represent a trend in the data than actual data, when read by the head, produce a analog waveform that is supposed to conform to the mfg's encoding layout, when it does not, transparent to the user and the system, CRC encoding and hardware correct the appearent error. Here in lies the problem.If the error is not really an error, but rather a Low domain saturation, the CRC can incorrectly correct the error and actually produce a real error. My suggestion is simply, short of reverifying the drive with the MFG's software, is to shift the dataset to a new "track", forcing the recording to be created fresh...Remember the old days of tape recording?..You would record over a tape and during the quiet time between songs, you could hear the program the was on the tape before? The process to record on a Hard drive at the platter level is the same, has not changed in 20 years, just the program and equipment. Biasing techniques have improved drasticly, the ability to permiate media is greater, but every once in a while (1 in 10 to the 13th), and error, either in media or retrival is encountered. CRC does its best to correct and for the greater part (99) it does.I had a system once, could not get it to run right for anything. Formatted twice, MFG LL'ed once, everything checkout, still would get User.dll errors. Finally after creating my normal install directory and copying the Cab's into it, I copyed one of the cabs twice and renamed it to a tmp file. Effectivly shifting the working install down 1.7 meg. The system worked fine after that. And yes we put another drive in the system and it worked fine too, So the only explination to be deduced is the Domain Over correction issue.Anyway this is all moot since his problem was the written files, I offer this only as a contribution of my 30 years in the industry. 4 of them at Micropolis, Chatsworth Ca. in the Clean room. (yes I looked totaly goofy in the moonsuit).

Guest slydon

I have always been curious about this. What does HST andSIT mean? It must have some meaning.

.hst -- History (aircraft).sit -- Situation (flight model?)

Guest slydon

Thanks Clint. That explains what they mean although, I can't see why those files should prevent the sim from working. Anyway they did and it is fixed and I am a happy make-believe pilot again. Thanks again.