Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Disappointed in Ti4600

My favorite topic again - FPS! I bought and installed a new NVidia GF4 Ti4600 this week. I was expecting a huge jump in rates in the NYC area. I have Scott's NY sceneries (LGA, JFK, NYC, LI, NY2). So this is an area that has a lot of buildings (TM's). I've attached a screenshot on approach to LGA.{Graphics}mipLevelCount=7vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0{Textures}maxTextures32=16maxTextures32_565=32maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=120maxTextures128=100maxTextures128_565=415maxTextures256=64maxTextures256_565=500maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=1mipMapFlag=896{NonAGP}maxTextures256_565=32{AGP}maxTextures256_565=32I am about to throw away my entire investment. There is clearly a problem with my system, but I can't seem to fix it.Scott Cannizaro: Any ideas? Can you send me a breakdown of texture usage? Clinton: You've been helpful before, but even you RENDER.ini file doesn't help.AAARRRGGGHHHH. :-grr-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Mgarmy

I also have a GFTi4600 with the same drivers you have. The only difference I have is that I use an AMD at 2Ghz.I stopped looking at one point in time at my framerates and decided to develop a new scale of measurment called "overall user experience". What I am trying to say here is that I got completly consumed at one point in time with tweaking and fixing stuff with almost the same results and worse, no flying time. I even bought (theotherproductwhichwearenotallowedtomentionanymoreonthisforum) and got the same kind of battle going trying to squeeze little frame points here and there. At one point in time I stopped doing it and started to pay notice to the overall smoothness of my sim experience. I was surprised that aside of a little stutter here and there it was a pleasant experience and that the overall improvements were in picture quality and faster screen movements and the rest is just part of the game I guess. This is what I use as my render.ini:[Graphics]mipLevelCount=6vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=16maxTextures32_565=64maxTextures64=192maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=300maxTextures128_565=800maxTextures256=64maxTextures256_565=64maxTextures512=12maxTextures512_565=20maxTextures1024=2mipMapFlag=896[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=32[AGP]maxTextures256_565=32I have FSAA turned on.Don't ask me how I got there. At one point in time I plugged it here from the forum and it seemd that this gave me the best performance. I will also try your setting and see if it feels better (I refuse to look anymore at these nervous stuttering frame numbers)So how about developing an overall "How Much I Enjoyed Flying" scale rate as a starting point?Take care,Mannie

Guest Mgarmy

Ken, flip a coin (-:DK,I just tried your render.ini and my overall system "Fun Experience" was dramitically reduced. I got severall errors loading scenery at different places.You should try my render.ini and see how it goes.Good luck,Mannie

It is against Avsim's policy to mention any other competing flight simulators on these forums. Comperative "studies" are specifically forbidden. This rule applies to regular troops and moderators too. Use of pseudo names instead of full product names may be allowed if the name is sufficiently cryptic. If you want to compare - compare with real aircraft or a full motion system simualtor.*:-*Michael J.

Guest Mgarmy

Yeah, deppending on the kindda product you use :-abductI will not step into this one :-smile12Still waiting for my 757 to land x(

DK,Texture slot allocations are the first place to look. However, your texture slot allocations look fine to me. You have plenty of slots allocated for each category, with plenty of room left.I did notice the 76,000+ polygon count. This may be a little excessive, even for your system. I have a Celeron 1.1 mhz with a GeForce 64mb Pro. I make sure that all the airport areas that I create have < 20,000 polygons. If the polygon count goes over 20,000 for me, I usually see quite a bit of slowdown. I would be interested to see what others say about the polygon count, but my system would crawl well beneath 4 fps with that many polys.Don't give up on your card yet. You have the best there is right now.Allen

I would do a couple of things.I first found for myself not to use FSAA in FLY2.I really do not think it was designed with that in mind.Also even though the quickgen is nice the buildings all use fairly high polys.Even though Daves models are lower than the fly default one, it still will be come a problem once you get into extremely terramodeled airports,terrascene and quickgen modeling etc...I personally do not use any quickgen for fly because it just kills the performance.FLY was not built to use it imho.The new vid card is not going to ever give you higher fps.Your fps will only be as good as the CPU,ram can handle and how fast you motherboard is from a default point.The video card will help you crank up the detail at high resolutions and still be able to maintain the current FPS level your system could normally handle.I would try getting a geforce tweaker like GTU from guru3d.com.You might want to try some different drivers.I did not like the 28.83 drivers.I really like the beta 29.20 drivers.One last thing of course.Turn off all virus scanners and background programs.http://www.xp-erience.org/ has some pretty good tips on XP :) I get a 30+ FPS in other areas but nyc gets me down to 10-15 .So it's not all your set up.Try the default render.ini too if all else fails :) Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Guest andrewluck

Something that has a bigger result than I at first realised is the AGP memory allocation. Surprisingly, this has a major effect even when all your texture slot allocations fit within the memory on the card.After fitting my 4400 I was having major pauses switching views within the cockpit. We're talking seconds per frame here (spf :-) ). I had the AGP aperture set to 64MB. Using the NVidia AGPmem utility mentioned in another thread revealed that I only had 67MB available to AGP. As I had 100MB of textures allocated no wonder I was having difficulty. Setting the AGP aperture to 128MB fixed this problem.The other biggie is system memory. All those high detail textures have to be cached somewhere if they're not going to read off the disk every time you switch views. I consider 512MB to be a good target to aim for. (But don't exceed this if you're still running Win98 as that will open a whole new can of worms).Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest andrewluck

Sorry about the double post. I was waiting for the 757 to arrive so didn't have my mind fully on the job. After posting the first it didn't appear in the topic list so I wrote it again. That didn't appear at first, but now both have. Ooops.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest Kurt

Allen,I do not find a high polygon count by itself to be a major problem (i.e. dropping to 4 fps), although my fps will drop. I also find that exceeding a texture slot allocation does not always result in 4 fps, again my fps dramatically drop and I try to avoid both situations. I will sometimes have a major fps drop even when I know the texture slots are covered and I do not have a high polygon count. I think sometimes it is just the sheer number of models in view that the system has to deal with. I also almost always use fsaa and find that the combination of fsaa and clouds really hits the fps on my system. I have a slower system (p3 at 933,512 ram,gf2 64mb) and generally run my visibilties at 1/2 of maximum (30 mile vis,3 hi res,10 med res) for smoothness and make adjustments as needed when I have problems with addon scenery. high polygon count/low fps but not a 4 fps situation http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cde8d873c88e1dd.jpg6 unique hits on the 512 slots with only 4 allocated/low fps but not a 4 fps situationhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cde8dc73d307b8b.jpgKurt

Thanks for the RENDER.ini settings above. I will take home with me and try later in the week. I'll report back.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.