Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Disappointed in Ti4600

Guest tonyc

I suggest that you play with FLy2 with no add scenery for a while. Get a feel for the program and the fps. With no add on scenery you should be getting high 2 digits fps. Experiment with all the planes, or a 172, a Pilatus , and a 777. If you get 4fps, then there's something wrong with your system. If not, I'd start experimenting with the scenery density sliders and dynamic scenery. You must know what your system can do without the add on scenery first.tony

I've noticed that in high TM areas like NYC (with Scott's add-ons) that I get a tremendous amount of disk access. Recall - I have 512MB RAM, I have unloaded as much as possible from memory and turned off virus scanning. I think that my biggest framerate problem may be due moreso to the disk access than my video card. I have TweakXP and think I've optimzed correctly, but not sure.Any suggestions or techniques to "pre-load" more TM's rather than have to pull them off the disk all the time. Or alternatively, anyone with experience in RAM disks - perhaps I could load "BiberAll" and "Scott's" models on to a RAM disk?? Just a thought.Any comments on this?-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

So you know, Tony: The FPS problems are almost exclusively in heavy-TM scenery areas. So I am certain the problem is my PC's ability to handle the memory needs of heavy TM areas. NYC area, Philly (I have a custom KPHL airport that's very high in polygons) and Ft. Lauderdale (KFLL also by the same author as the KPHL airport) are the worst. Almost all other areas are smooth as silk.See post above RE: RAM disk. Comments, help appreciated.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK, I've noticed noone has mentioned the old problem of certain models that would "re-create themselves" - namely the TRI models - like the Firetruck as one culprit - and some of their buildings. The only work around I recall for this was to either delete the TRI firetrucks -or- you have to open the scenery file and look for instances of models that are repetitive with the same coords and delete all but the first instance. Just a thought... :-) Although am sure you don't want to really do this, have you tried the 29.20 drivers at all? The 28.xx one wouldn't work well for me at all (I have a GF2 GTS 64mb DDR card). The 29.20 drivers at least work for me, but I still hit areas where I'm losing either the sky or FPS drops to 4 and stays there. Now running WinXP Pro, upgraded from Win ME.Hope this helps a little! Ken WoodCNN International Weather

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Mannie:I tried your Render.ini and had no luck. In fact, my "Fun Factor", if you want to call it that, decreased. I am having no trouble with my 128 textures, its fully in the 256. Actually, as I tried several things last night, I think the problem is in loading the TM's into memory. I see a lot of disk movement when I make turns in heavy-TM areas (like NYC with Scott's add-ons). My sense is that I'm allocated reasonably, its just that I can't seem to get enough into RAM.That's surprising since I am running a PC with 512MB of system RAM.I'm trying to figure out how to get more into RAM, or how to get my models to load more quickly and stay there. I'm hopeful that this path may solve my ever-frustrating problem of low rates. BTW: I couldn't care less about the actual rates. I fully agree with you that I should be (and am) striving for a better overall Fun Factor. Doing so will require a reduction of "Frustration Factor".-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Where does one find the 29.90 drivers? And how stable do you find them. In general, I am willing to use beta software if its known to be stable. Also, I can always roll-back. I'll keep the 28.83 drivers on my HD for future use.-DK---Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Mgarmy

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. Strange though, I have most of my scenery at 7.5 DEM and use also quite a lot of TM in my scenery. We have almost the exact same setup. The only difference is that I have an MSI mobo with RAID which speeds disk access and AMD as processor. I have also quite a lot of disk access but if I compare this to my previous system without RAID I think the differences are small. Last night however I tried to land at EGLL (also uses the NYC addon) with PMDG 757 and had to abort the landing because my system was crawling! Time permits, I will see where I can get some improvments and share them with you.Good luck,Mannie

Guest andrewluck

Might be worth looking at CacheMan, a freebee Windows memory tweaker. This will enable you to easily change the way Windows allocates memory. Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

One more thing, regarding your post RE:...I've noticed no one has mentioned the old problem of certain models that would "re-create themselves" - namely the TRI models - like the Firetruck as one culprit - and some of their buildings. The only work around I recall for this was to either delete the TRI firetrucks -or- you have to open the scenery file and look for instances of models that are repetitive with the same coords and delete all but the first instance. Just a thought... I cannot answer this question since I'm using someone else's TM scenery (Scott / NYCFlyer). However, I am pretty sure this is not the problem. If I recall correctly, Scott was aware of this "duplicating models" issue and had accounted for it. But I'll send a note to Scott and ask him to respond here.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest nycflyer

I had fixed all the TRI truck problems in my NY scenery pods, so that's not the issue. To reiterate, if you're using my NYC, and LGA pods, be sure to remove Dave's pod and scenery file and replace the cities.pod with my cities_no_nyc.pod. Also the current Newark scenery contains duplicate scenery models. I have a new version of Newark that will be available shortly.Dave, some things that have helped me with FPS are:1. NO FSAA2. set popbuildingsintoview=1 , poptolerance=20 (in fly.ini, the names might be slightly different)3. Max Vis=30; Med res=11; hi res=44. NO building shadows, NO water animation.5. AGP aperature 128MBThese setting keep me at about 20 fps in NY, with the worst case being around 14 fps.I could attach my render.ini later if you like.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPSEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

I am not using the Newark Airport scenery that was posted a long time ago - forgot the author's name. And I did all the replacements you require above. I am using FSAA, but noticed almost no difference between no FSAA and 2x FSAA. My AGP Aperture size is 128MB. But on the remainder of the settings, I'll try your recommendations. Please do send your RENDER and FLY.ini files. I'd like to compare yours to mine. Also, how much system RAM do you have? -DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Hagar

I use the 2 mile "distance hiding" for Terramodels. If I set the popbuildingsintovew=1, will it affect the Terramodels objects ?

Scott:Your suggestions DID help. Thank you. I still have a ways to go, but I was able to manage a reasonable landing at LGA after reducing the scenery settings as you suggest above. That is disappointing, though, since 30 miles max visible makes for constant hazy days at high altitudes. But maybe I'll have to live with it in the NYC area. Can you post or send your Fly.ini and Render.ini files, though, so I can see if there are any other relevant differences.Another thing (unreleated):In your next revision of the airports, can you please remove (or move) the static planes that sit on active taxiways. While this may make the overall scene more realistic, when cleared for takeoff on RWY 31, for example, at LGA, one cannot get to the edge of the runway to start the forward roll b/c of the USAir jet sitting in the way.Thanks.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest nycflyer

Glad the suggestions helped. Actually, the haze factor is pretty realistic around here (NY) at typical cruising altitudes for say a Cessna. I'll post my .ini's this evening for you. As for the static aircraft, if reality was a factor, Newark would have some 15 aircraft on the taxiways in the takeoff que! However, I'll leave the taxiways clear in any future revisions of LGA and JFK.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPSEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Scott: Were you going to post INI files?-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.