Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

FS Maintanence - some ideas to improve it!

Guest Edam

I read on the LAGO Forum that this was difficult to implement, but it would be nice to be able to save your flight and then have the Blackbox working when you reload the saved flight. I chose a rather lengthy flight yesterday, not knowing that. It was too long for one sitting. Even for flights that are not that long, sometimes something comes up where you are unable to finish the flight and it must be saved. As it is now, you have to start the flight from the very beginning if you can't finish it. I hope that a work-around can be figured out in the future.

Mathijs,Ultimate Airlines was a pretty nifty addon that contained tons of real world flight schedules and tracked your time. You could use real schedules but leave it up to the pilots (or MSFS flight planner) to find a route that will get them there in time. I've done a lot of modeling of other industries taking into account price sensitivity and other inputs, allowing you to compete with others for marketshare.Your three factors might be:FaresOntime percentagesafety/comfort (the part you model now)One could try to gain marketshare by decreasing fares, but a simplified accounting model taking into account fuel prices and other factors would limit this strategy. You could try to increase ontime percentage but burn too much fuel in the process. The competition could be computer generated or online competition. I'd love to help out if you are interested!David

Actually, I'd like to make a comment on that. As a guy who fixes both the Boeing 737-200 and the Airbus A320-200, I feel that, if you start taking into consideration things like down-time and the cost of parts, the A320 turns out to be a bit more costlier (I'm only guessing based on what I've seen in the three years I've spent fixing these things. Our Airbus stuff seems to be down more than our Boeing stuff. Just this morning, I grounded an A340 and an A320). Our fleet manager for the 737-200 told me that even today, the 737-200s that we operate only cost 65 cents per revenue mile to operate (or something like that). Airbus sells cheap aircraft but what most people don't realize is that they nail the carriers on parts. Stupid things like lock-tab washers that Rolls Royce uses on their engines cost a fortune but they have to be used because that's what Airbus says you must use. With the flap system and the carriage that carries the flap up and down along the flap track, they use this wierd locking system called stay-locks. Instead of using something like a regular nut/bolt/cotter pin arrangement, stay-locks are nuts that are threaded on using a four-prong socket, then a washer-type lock washer is threaded over the nut to prevent the nut from backing off. It's just an unbelievable system. Both are good airplanes but there are some things that, while fixing them, I say to myself what on earth were they thinking when they designed this. But then again, I say the same thing when I work on a Boeing product so there you go. :Dhttp://members.shaw.ca/plehry/signature1.jpg

>I have not yet tried FSMaintenance but will be doing so >soon. >My question concerns the ultimate transgression - crashing >the plane. >What are the penalties for this? Basically, you pay for repairs for the whole plane. You can't remove it, until you pay for it, and you can't add a new "replacement" until you remove the old "crashed" from your list.I've managed to crash about 3 so far - the reapirs on the B717 run around 500K, I think, so it'll be awhile before I can get it fixed. This provides some incentive for taking care of your favourite plane. You can also create a new manager-persona and start from scratch again.- Martin

You already have GPS blanking! Just turn the GPS off with the small button on the panel. Pretend it is broken. Real Pilots do this all the time. It is too expensive to rip out the radio gear you don't want to use just at that moment. So turn it off. Simple. And, easy. At least it seems to work this way, like an option in my package.

Guest Lobaeux4

I can really see a huge potential for FSM. I've dl'd and flown two flights with the try-before-you-buy version. I'm definetly going to order the pay version.As for times on routes, I think that'd be a huge option for VA's. Yet you'd have to have a little flexibility. In the Air Force we use 20 minutes early, 14 minutes late is considered an on-time takeoff. These are very important, I think they could be implemented somehow, most VA's have flights that give takeoff-land times, they could just be inserted into the program by the user. Another factor I thought I'd bring up is the maintenance-ops war over how a plane is treated or brought back. For instance, a problem the crew causes, either through neglect or a wrong procedure is an ops problem. A failure or problem that happens due to maintenance, or lack thereof is a maintenance problem. Maybe a way to distinguish between the two. Of course, that might be way beyond the scope of this program. But (and maybe it's just because I fly old C-130's) a lot of times, you take of with little things that can't get or be fixed. FSM takes this into account, by the percentages of items and when they need to be fixed, but aircraft have a Minimum Equipment Listing. If the item that's broken is on the MEL, it just can't be flown until it's fixed. Now, I've only had two flights on it, I've read the instruction manual, but I can't remember if there's a time element involved in fixing problems. How you'd implement a time element I'm not sure, but if you had to say change an engine, that's not a quick fix obviously. Might cause you to have to fly or bid for another aircraft because you're favorite won't be fixed for sometime. Also, maintenance may release an aircraft that's got problems already with it.Last thing I'd implement, and not sure how you'd be able to do it, would be some sort of VA option. Possibly, have each registered software have sort of a client/server-type relationship, whereas you'd fly your route, earn your money and that money would be forwarded to the VA. A maintenance chief (or bot) at the VA would establish how your individual aircraft would be fixed based on your flying for the VA and how much you've earned for them. I realise it might not be feasible, might be a lot of work, and in the end take some of the control out of the individual pilot's hands, but..... if we're all going for realism here......Anyways, I know this is long so I'll end it here.Congrats Lago on another fine product!JoeOne last thing in the interest of realism, after certain things are fixed on an aircraft (usually major components) those things have to be flight tested by Functional Control Inspection flights. That might be something that could be added, having to do an FCI check on the aircraft before it could earn some money.

This programs makes flying a whole new experience. Love it. I agree that there should be a why to enable a feature as to where you crash it makes where you cant fly for a month. I would hate to see the program removed due to the fact that I have reg. shareware and to reinstall would be a finacial headache. I just hope that FS designers see what lago is trying to do and makes the next version more designer friendly for people like lago to expand on this concept. This is what FS has been missing for too long.Kilstormany typos please contact www.dontcare.com

>I would like to see the following added on: Just to let you know, we just updated FSMaintenance to fiox some of the open issues. You can download the ipdate patch (1.00 to 1.02) at this url; ftp.lagoonline.com/fs2002/fsmaintenance/fsm_102_eng_sp1.zipThe update contains:-A problem in the flight level detection was corrected.-The FSAssist 2002 PushBack works again (sorry for that nasty bug btw...)-GA aircraft are now accepted in the lowest class.-Several cosmetic changes have been made to avoid items being not 100% clear.-Changes to BlackBox.CFG:.Taxi Speed reduced to 26 knots (was 28 knots).Max Power check now penalizes every 10 seconds (was 12 seconds).G-Load now penalizes under 0.6 and over 1.9 (was 0.5 and 2.0).Bank Angle penalizes now penalizes bank angles over 33 degrees (was 5 degrees).Overspeed now penalizes after 6 failed checks (was 8 checks).Turbulence now penalizes after 6 failed checks (was 12 checks).250 overspeeding now checks for 252 knots to allow some AT unbalance (was 250 knots).Pitch deviation now penalizes every 4 failed checks (was 8 checks).roll out difference now penalizes at 3 degrees (was 5 degrees)

While flying in the baron and set up on a crosswind t/o and landing I kept getting excessive yaw and excessive bank angles penalties. Not to happy about that and would like to see that factored in on the program. Like while 1500 AGL those items arent being monitored. Also would like to get rid of the beeping sound. Kil~

>While flying in the baron and set up on a crosswind t/o and >landing I kept getting excessive yaw and excessive bank >angles penalties. Not to happy about that and would like to >see that factored in on the program. Like while 1500 AGL >those items arent being monitored. Also would like to get >rid of the beeping sound. Well... the bank angle and yaw limits most pilots and airlines find acceptable do not change much under 1500 AGL. In fact they are more dangerous at low altitudes.There is one thing to keep in mind.... the 'penalties' we give are not always pilot errors. For example, if you are landing on a wet, short runway with side wind you WANT a hard landing so the wheels get good grip and do not slide sidewards. That is the GOOD procedure at that moment but it will cause extra stress, wear and tear on the systems. FSM reflects that. So do not feel punished at that time. Landing a small aircraft in bad weather simply is not a comfortable affair. You can also change the setting of the test, check in the blackbox.cfg for all details. In your case I do not advise that though. The logged events DO happen and with practise you will be able to reduce these rather violent manouvers. FSMaintenance can help you with this. In FS2002 you do not feel the aircraft as you would in a real aircraft and we all tend to take excessive yaw, pitching and other violent movements too lightly. But if you do want to tune FSM I advise you to visit the support forums at lagoonline.com as we are discussing these topics there right now.You can simply remove the two sounds from the FSMAINT dir but that will make it much harder to detect problems as the instruments of most aircraft do not reflect the problems we create.Mathijs KokLAGO

Thanks for the advise. Thing is after a 14min flight and 24 penalties I have a 28 next to my alierons. Does that mean they will fail in the next flight instead of having a 100 next to them? If so I dont mind the wear and tear but I cant have my a/c only run for 1/2 an hour in normal light turbulent air before it needs repair to control surfaces. Also I checked the Blackbox config and am using the newer version and it reads that the min bank angle is 33 and max is 35? Does this mean that all turns need to be with in 33-35*?Kil~

>Thanks for the advise. Thing is after a 14min flight and 24 penalties I have a 28 next to my alierons. Does that mean they will fail in the next flight instead of having a 100 next to them?If so I dont mind the wear and tear but I cant have my a/c only run for 1/2 an hour in normal light turbulent air before it needs repair to control surfaces.

I read the part about the FSUIPC after the flight so Im gonna repair it and and try it again without the turb setting enabled.Kil~

ok, after reading the above 3 msg. or so. im starting to wonder whats going on.i just took a flight in the defualt b734 and i got A WHOLE LOT OF EXCESSIVE BANK ANGLE and my aierlons are at zero!! yes a big fat 0, after i landed, i was able to control ok the whole way down.i think something isnt right?? i used a/p most of the time, is there a way to change the bank angle in the defualt b734 for the a/p??or is it time to move up to the DF B734. i hardly turned much! i don't get it?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!