Sign in to follow this  
michal

back flying and a big big thankyou!

Hello, I have never posted anything before in this forum but read it with interest regularly. I have used Fly since the very beginning and had allways enjoyed the experience it gave me. After MS2002 came out I used that much more as i must admit i am very prone to "eye-candy" and enjoy(ed) it very much! I recently got myself a new video card (g force 4 with 64mb) and decided to reinstall Fly 2 and went through the proces of installing the various patches and add ons. I also came across the Socata Tbm700 plane from ROTW and decided to install that as well. Well, I dont like using superlatives all over the place but it has given me the most "realistic" flight simulator experience I've ever encountered and I would like to say a very big thank you to all the people who developed and created this plane and offerd it completely for free. I will be honest and say that I consider myself more of a gamer than a flyer and usually want to get flying straight away without bothering to read the various manuals and procedures. I just hit e and get going. Well not with this plane. I would now consider it disrespectful to the authors to not read every piece of given information with care and to follow the correct startup and other procedures. And its a lot of lot of lot of fun doing it! And I feel I am really learning something about an area I am very interested in but have never experienced, as a pilot in real life. this has opened my eyes to the tremendous amount of work people put into their works, whether freeware or not, and I for one will always take great care in reading and following the valuable imformation those authors offer and am only sorry that I did not do it before. I know i'm just an anomynous user somewhere in this vast world and it wont make much difference but I would like to state my appreciation and admiration in this way!I would also like to recommend to people that getting a video card with more texture memory is very worth while as it has made a big difference to this sim for me. The simulator is very smooth although I still dont use the high detailed textures.Thanks for taking the time for reading!Adam Rickettsehtx (Texel, Holland)

Guest Mgarmy

Hi Adam,Welcom back to the Fly! club. I know what you mean with realistic and enjoying something when you can better understand it. I see you are from Texel and just wanted to let you know that I am im in the middle of making an extensive Texel scenery of the airport and the whole island. Meanwhile you can use the TBM to fly between Rotterdam and Lelystad and buzz the island on your way back.Take care and enjoy.Mannie

wow, thats great news!I am busy setting up the rotterdam and europoort scenery as I speak and am going to make an attempt of terramodelling and designing Den Helder De Kooy!greetingsAdam from a very windy Texel (now thats a suprise!!)

WELCOME BACK ADAM!! I'm a dedicated FLY! fanatic though I do admit to PLAYING with the eyecady of FS2002 pro. I do hope that you will give FLY! a legitemate chance. It is OBVIOUSLY the most realistic sim for the PC. ROTW group will be putting out an ATR in the future. As a gift to you, I provided some developmental shots of the ATR-42 for your druling pleasure. It will be increadibly detailed yet they want it to be realistic and accurate so they are taking their time. Can we put you into the BISIMUAL :-fume category such as MR. L. ADAMSON or or you strictly a FLY! FANATIC :-smooch now? JUST KIDDING!!! heheheOhh. Make SURE to purchase the new PMDG 757 that was just released. EXCELLENT product, unmatched in the marketplace. go to www.precisionmanuals.com for details!!!!Yours Truely,Captain BOB!:-wave

Who ever came up with the term "eye candy" anyway :)?????? Eye candy is realism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................and the best reason to become airborne!!!! What was probably the most important & exciting addon to the original & FLY2K? You guessed it!..............TerraScene2 (eyecandy/realism)!!!!! I'd never fly, if it just meant sitting in a dark box looking at instruments! I can do that in my garage with the lights off.............. cheaper & "safer" too ! :)L.Adamson

Mr. L. Adamson,GOOODDD to see you in here. hehe So how did that long thread about puting MS, TRI, and X-Plane developers together end? I'm afraid to go over there I most likely will get out of control. lol Actually, what your describing is what real airline pilots do to become profiecent with there procedures and emergency action memory checklists. It's called "Dry Flying." They simpily sit there with there eyes closed going over the procedures, and litterly reaching out and touching the imaginary consol in front of them. I've done it a bit myself. It saved me alot of money on my instrument,commercial, and multi. licences. By knowing automaticly and instinctivly what to do, it will save alot of money from that Hobbs meter. lol hehehYours Truly,CB

Of course that's what "real" airline pilots do! :)But once they get tired of it all, they get into building experimental type aircraft to go "eye candy" sight seeing!! In our local Experimental Aircraft Association chapter, we have quite a few current & retired airline captains. L.Adamson

Mr. L. Adamson,I don't know what to do about you and your eyecandy...........................................................................How bout I send you my old copy of Flight Unlimited III for xmas? Plenty of I candy there.herehCB

Good "eye candy" is good, bad eye candy is even worse than no eye candy at all ...Everyone has his/her tolerance level and is sensitive to the view outside the cockpit. Would you fly in a simulator that had white-black stripes in the sky even though the rest was excellent ?. Probably not for long. As flight sims demonstrate the reality is the toughest eye-candy one is trying to imitate. Contrary to other fantasy games here you can just peek outside your home window to see whether what you see in a sim makes any sense.Michael J.

>Mr. L. Adamson, >>I don't know what to do about you and your >eyecandy........................................................................... >>>How bout I send you my old copy of Flight Unlimited III for >xmas? Plenty of I candy there. >Already have all versions of the FU series. The resolution is not as high as a certain sim I run in 1600*1200*32, so it just doesn't look as good---- in the "eye candy" dept.!! :)L.Adamson

Hi LarryI have always followed your posts with interest and enjoyed the way in which you state your case. It was never my intention to state that MSFS2002 was "only" about "eye candy" as apposed to fly or anything else for that matter. nor was it my intention to state that the level of scenery detail or clouds or whatever is not important in being immersed in the simulation experience. As a matter of fact I just love flying the dreamfleet 737 from egll to eham and experience the traffic around me and the atc and it gives me a great thrill and enjoyment. I also love flying between Kuki and ksts in a cessna skyline to experience the beautiful mesh scenery add ons and the landclass addons. They give a marvelous feel of being there and I am deeply greatfull for the fact that designers give us (me) this work for nothing! As a matter of fact I probably wouldn't know the difference of the flight dynamics of a wheelbarrow compared to a 747 or whatever. I am not in any way a pilot or in any way knowledgeble in this sector. However it was my own personal experience that when I "flew" touch and go's at my local airport (ehkd) using the ROTW Socata TMB700 in Fly 2 that I had the most immersive experience I've ever had in a flight simulator. I cant and wont state that that was due to the fact that it felt like I was "really" flying an airplane because I simply do not know what thats like, so I cant judge! But it was a very nice experience and let me pretend for a minute that I was doing something that I have always dreamt of doing but never had the oppertunity ("oppertunity" just doesn't look right!How do you spell it!!??) to do in real life and dont expect that to happen in the near future! I read somewhere in a forum that somebody asked if flying was really so easy as it feels like a lot of the time using different planes and I had that experience as well in different sims but I personally felt I really had to work hard to "fly" and "control" this aircraft and that gave a lot of simulation pleasure. Mmmmmmmm, I dont really know what I wanted to say anymore but I guess this was it!thanks for readinggreetings from a very windy but sunny hollandadam ricketts ehtx

This "difficult to fly", "too easy to fly" stuff must be quite confusing to many, it is also confusing for me. I did not participate in this thread on the MSFS forum - it simply got quickly too crowded there !I was always convinced that FLY is superior in modelling smaller airplanes. I still think that nothing beats for example its King Air V88 or its Cessna. But it I found the KA "easy" to fly. At the same time its Hawker I found to be quite difficult - its mushiness on landing, inability to float, rapid speed loss at flare, etc. But with time and practice I managed to learn to handle it though I always did have my suspicions. Is the real Hawker so finicky ? Is it so unforgiving that a blink of an eye can cause a crash landing ? Then I experienced ERJ-145 and 767PIC - both jets but in a different sim. And both widely acclaimed by pilots who fly those types to be very close to reality. I found them immediately much easier to land. I could have not so good landing in 767 by floating too long but it was very difficult for me to have hard landing. Both give me a fair amount of controllability during the flare. I do not have to "sweat" like before every landing in the Hawker whether it will be survivable landing - I know I will do OK, I know that my touchdown will be very good, I only try to be close to the anticipated touchdown zone. Michael J.