Sign in to follow this  
Guest ftessler

question of the week, week 6

Week 6 already? Are we still having fun with this?anyway, this week is a quick one:Would you rather become extremely successful as the result of a lucky break, a smart gamble, or hardwork? Why?-Brian

Guest Allan Jones

It's a good thing that you didn't ask me this questions 30 years ago--I would have given a really dumb answer! Age and experience have their good points!Like Johnny, I now know that I would pick hard work. I have done good things that required me to bust my chops, but seeing the end product made it worthwhile and helped my self-esteem. I also have to think of the affect on my kids. I don't want them to think that playing the lottery or waiting for a gold nugget to fall in their lap is an option.

Guest Henri W

Hi Brian,Hard work, of course. This is so much more satisfying. Did you ever win a competition by luck? It does not feel right, whereas you feel great when you worked hard for it. The same holds for most areas in life, I would say.Cheers,Henri

Hard work, defiitely. Even though people my age (19) would say 'lucky break' so that they can keep partying (not all do that so don't be offended) doing that through hard work will give you a lot more satisfaction. You will be proud for achieving something rather then winning or inheriting something. I would not mind a luck break off course but I would prefer to get there with hard work and over time. If you are 18 and you get a lucky break and you are set for life then what do you do? Party, spend money? You would not have the motivation to study, train, work and achieve. YOu would become bored quickly.That's my answer for this week. Comments welcome!Take careMike

For me, it would be hard work for one reason.In the long run good/bad luck usually has a way of evening out. If I won the lottery, then I would expect to get struck by lightning or something in the future. :-eek We constantly have "due logic" arguments at work, especiallly the coin flipping argument where heads has come up 10 times in a row.- 1/2 the people (and the laws of probability) say that there is exactly a 50% chance that heads will come up the next flip.- the other 1/2 says that there is a greater than 50% chance that heads will come up on the next flip.This argument probably comes up at least once a month.I won't tell which group I fit into :)Allen

Guest Eagle

Heh Johnny - when are those planes you showed us going to be released.I don't think it is fair for you to be able to fly them, show us pictures and don't give us some idea of when they will be available.Although I don't rate persons in this forum, I may have to give you a negative rating if you keep doing this. I don't want to do that as I will then have a hard time sleeping at night.Keep FLYing

Guest Josve

I don't think it's fair either,so I stopped flying them :)I'm just a simple alpha/beta tester....and have no influence on the release date....sorry....But of course if you prefer I will stop showing upcoming projects :)But I can try to talk to Giorgio and ask him if he can uppload the aircraft.Just remember this is a one man project,and Giorgio have a lot to do in his job,and sparetime is sometimes hard to find.....BTW:I think I deserve positive rating for bringing you guy's the good news....:) Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif][/div

Guest DSandberg

Hard work, of course. As to why, read "Atlas Shrugged" and then get back to me. :)- David

Guest Eagle

Just kidding Johnny. Thought I would shake your cage a little and see what came out. Don't take my comments as insults.Show us all the planes in development, in fact, I check your site often just to see what others are working on.My thought was that the planes were ready for release and that is why you were showing them to us. The one from ROTW is a great one and I will be content with that for the time being.Hang in there and keep FLYing!!!

Guest ftessler

Brian,While it's tempting to say "hard work," I suspect that most highly successful people owe their success to all three. While there's no substitute for effort, being in the right place at the right time (luck) and knowing what to do (smart gamble) are important, too.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator