Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrewluck

Shifting default scenery..

...OK, i've asked one silly question already tonight, heres another.I've got a radio pylon I want to shift from the middle of a runway (EGCD, Manchester Woodford) but don't seem able to select it to move/delete it in the editor. Any idea how it can be moved?

Guest andrewluck

Had this problem at Norwich as well (EGSH). The runways were in the wrong place. Use Vol!Edit to check the positions of the runway thresholds and compare them against the figures you can find on the CAA website http://195.217.206.173/uk_aip/pdf/ad/aipad2.htmAndrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Cheers. The actual coordinates of the field are correct but I cannot find which setting I need to change to do the threshold. Can you be more specific on how I go about making the fix?

Sorry, found the right bit now but everything actually looks correct. Any chance you could have a look see at the figures?

Guest andrewluck

Should get some time this weekend. I'll see what I can do.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest andrewluck

OK. Had a look at the AIP website. The textual data is rather thin for EGCD (link just above the charts). But it does indicate the cause of the problem.Fly! places a tower at the centre point of the airport. The standard default Fly! database uses the centre of the runway as it's airport centre, probably because it's the only data listed, whereas the tower should actually be behind the firestation.So, what we have to do is move the airport centre. I'll describe the process briefly for Vol!Edit (there are other far more thorough tutorials here if you wish to read further).Make a copy of Airport.podOpen Vol!Edit , open a DBD from a pod and select Airport.podEnter EGCD in the box beside Arpt OACI and click the button. This puts the airport unique id in the box above, UK90918.Click in the column listing airport id's in the table and click the Find= button. This should drop you to the line for EGCD. Double click this line to open the editor box.Edit the box for LAT/LON coords to read N 53 20 3 W 2 9 11Close the dialogs and select the DEX files Menu, Export selection. Choose a filename and save the file. Check that the file is about 1K in size. If it isn't you've got more airports selected than you want.Next use DEXImport to import the changes you've made into the Airport.pod file.As taxiways already exist (I think mine came from the taxiuk package) moving the runways can't be done without redoing the taxiways as well. This does need doing as some of the taxiways are lit as if they're active when in fact they're closed. There's a project for you :-) . The ILS approach isn't too bad. The DME needs repositioning as it should read 0 at the threshold of 25 and the glideslope brings you in rather long but the localiser is pretty well aligned.I hope this has given you a taste for modifying airports. Ask questions here or in the developer forum. There's plenty of people to help out.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Andrew, you truly are a top geezer. Cheers.

>As taxiways already exist (I think mine came from the taxiuk >package) moving the runways can't be done without redoing >the taxiways as well. This does need doing as some of the >taxiways are lit as if they're active when in fact they're >closed. There's a project for you :-) . If you've got the TXP's you can fix this without having to redo the entire taxiway set. Get my TaxiFix utility from http://members.bellatlantic.net/~racis/fly/The utility works by comparing the airport center in the BGR file to the one in the database. If they don't match, it sets the values in the BGR and TXP to match what's in the database, then shifts all the nodes the opposite direction, so they don't move along with the center point. I don't know the TMS format, which is why you need to regenerate it.-Frank

Guest andrewluck

Thanks Frank, didn't know about that one.What I'm interested in at the moment is if it's possible to remove the centre-line lights from taxiways. I'm working on Norwich (EGSH) at the moment and most only have the blue edge lights here. Any ideas?Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH