Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Lock Ups....? Lesson learned for GeForce Cards.

Of course, I'm the kinda guy who always "upgrades"...no matter what! Someone once told me though, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well, to cut a long story short, I did upgrade to the Nvidia 2840 drivers. I kept having lockups during a flight, expecially with complex panel (like on the 747)and when switching views, etc. For weeks and weeks, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I did so many ctl+alt+del's that I was almost ready to REINSTALL MSFS2002. Today I decided to revert back to the 2311's. Just finished a great flight from KORD to KDTW with the 747 and flew in real weather. The flight went very smooth with high frame rates, and touched down after a pretty good ILS intercept. NO LOCKUPS! I'M CONVINCED IT'S THE DRIVERS FOR THE GeForce3 card. The 2840's aren't ready for "Prime Time" yet.Anyway....if you're experiencing the frustration of frequent lockups, and you have a GeForce card, stay with the 2311's. Stan

Ain't nowt to beat the GeForce2 GTS/12.90 combo IMHO - I've tried 'em all and each time revert back to these tried and trusted drivers.Mike :-wave

Guest gasebah

Well, that explanation might be a right, but it is also a little simple. The new drivers are faster and especially with FS2002 they will agressively use the system memory. It might well be that you would have to change some other hardware settings in bios to use them. E.g. 28.90 work perfect for me if I disable the 1T command in bios. With 1T enabled I have crashes, that however I did not have with older drivers. However even with 1T command disabled I have higher frame rates with 28.90. Computers are complex systems, if you change something it might well be that you have to experiment again with your overall settings to get it right.Rgds,Alex

Guest PaulL01

>Well, that explanation might be a right, but it is also a >little simple. The new drivers are faster and especially >with FS2002 they will agressively use the system memory. It >might well be that you would have to change some other >hardware settings in bios to use them. E.g. 28.90 work >perfect for me if I disable the 1T command in bios. With 1T >enabled I have crashes, that however I did not have with >older drivers. However even with 1T command disabled I have >higher frame rates with 28.90. Computers are complex >systems, if you change something it might well be that you >have to experiment again with your overall settings to get >it right. True, But he did state that he has a GF3 and driver optimization for GF3's stopped way back at Det4 ver.23.xx and newer drivers like the 27-28.xx tend to degrade the performance of GF3 cards as can be varified at many a Video card site.Take Care,Paul