Sign in to follow this  

Khyber Pass

With all the news lately about Afghanistan. I thought I would check out the scenery in that area. So where else would be a better place to start than in Kabul. Checked the maps out and decided to head towards the infamous Khyber Pass. This country looks like the lunar landscape in some areas. Its going on midnight here in Philadelphia and I have to work a half a day tomorrow. But I will post some screens shots of my little excursion tomorrow afternoon once I get home. No wonder it hasnt been such a walk in the park for the military over there. It was a task just getting the altitude to clear some of the mountain ranges along the way. Not sure if anyone will want to see the screenshots or not. But I will post them any way. See ya tomorrow. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 23.11ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Sorry about the delay. I got tied up in a honeydew job. Hafta keep the lil misses happy ya know. Anyone ever put in a drop ceiling? Well if not dont attempt it!!!!! :)I promised some pics of the region in Afghanistan. So I also took the time to dig up a few maps of the area. I departed from Kabul Int. Proceeded to head on a south-southwesternly course. Arrived at Khyber Pass with no trouble. Was a waste of time, nothing much to see there. So I headed in a more due south direction towards Alt Kheyl. This is a area where a large group of Al Quyeda and Taliban are believed to be camped at. But I can tell you that its a isolated place thats for sure. I decided to fly the Kodiak. I thought that it would be more than enough make the trip. That was a minor mistake. It may have been several factors. Altitude, Air temp, or the fact that Im not a seasoned pilot. :-roll The mountainous terrain really demanded every ounce of horsepower that the Kodiak could deliver. I just have a couple of shots to post. I had several to start with , but Photoshop gave me some trouble on the compression ratios. I also found a older map of the same area , that I really thought was interesting. Thats another of one of my many interests Cartography. The first shot is just after I cleared the summit of one of the Mnts that isolate the area of Alt Kheyl. Check out the altitude on the Altimeter. Just barely cleared the top. Forward view out the window is Alt Kheyl. I hope that the aeronautical map is the right size for uploading to Avsim. Some may enjoy this post and others may think what the Hey!!! Not your average post I will admit. *:-*TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP