Sign in to follow this  

PMDG 757 "Review" Request...

Greetings Fly'ers...I've been trying to get back into Fly2 now for a while, mainly for the TerraScene capabilities. Now that the 757 is released, I was wondering if anyone could review/compare it to its commercial add-on Boeing bretheren found on the "other" sim platform?The 757 is the one plane that does NOT have a great FS2002 addon panel in the vein of the PIC767, DF767, PSS744/777/A32x, and I would LOVE it if this gave me a good excuse to jump back into the Fly2 world. Everything *looks* good from the advertising materials, but I am curious how it performs in the sim itself!Back to scene slicing,-Greg Germ

Guest Mgarmy

I will take the risk by being shot here by salty, but I can securly say that PIC and PMDG are not comparable products. Now one thing makes PIC stand for is its ability to simulate failures. Everything else is in PMDG's favor.Just an opinion.Good slicing!Mannie

I'll also take a risky move here too... :-) A little "topic dancing" to keep things in check.Are you forming your opinion based on Fly2's different method of working with panels? I know many individuals simply prefer the Fly method of panel display/navigation over the FS method. I'm trying to place panel "function" over panel form, if possible. (Imagine that you enjoy the FS & Fly methods of panel display equally, and see no faults in either one)Also - Would you say the PMDG panel contains the same or more functionality. From experience, the PIC767 panel has near 100% functionality on all its switches/FMC functions. Does the PMDG contain the same? More? Less? I am not restricting a purchase based on that, as I have a few payware panels which have FAR less functionality than the PIC and still have great simulation capability.I'm just testing the waters to see if it is a preference to the platform which is shaping your opinion, rather than a preference to the panel itself. Don't mind me! Slicing went well, but now I have nasty frame rates. Time to render.ini tweak!-GregOH YEAH - Does PMDG (or anyone else) have continued plans to develop MORE Boeing aircraft for Fly2???!!

Minus the one problem with the landing gear, it's one of the most stunning addons I have used.It has given FLY! a whole new feel to me.A must have .It's well worth the money.Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Guest Ken_Salter

Guys - I am not Pinochet of this Forum! :-lolYou are comparing PIC to PMDG - not MSFS2K2 to Fly! II. I don't see any problems here as long as the discussion remains civil. The problem is when you get "riff raff" (if you are offended by this term, sorry!) in here starting to carpet bomb the thread.http://www.thesalters.org/images/Avsim_sig_KS.jpg

>Also - Would you say the PMDG panel contains the same or >more functionality. From experience, the PIC767 panel has >near 100% functionality on all its switches/FMC functions. PIC panel has near 100% functionality but on systems it models. For example there is no pressurization. Also "functionality" means different things to different people. I recall from FLY's Hawker all its switches were working but their functionality was very shallow - gauges always worked one way regardless of the cirumstances.I would like to know, for example, if you can start both engines in PMDG's 757 simultaenously by APU bleed air (or even start them with APU not fully up). In many simulated aircraft it is possible - but not on the PIC - as the way it should be.Michael J.

Guest Mgarmy

Greg,Ok, we have green light to talk about pic and pmdg :-hahThe pmdg product just got released so there is still a lot to learn. To me its the overall user experience which makes the difference between both products. The platform in general provides to me more value from a different perspective and is not related to what products can do or how functional they are. So the platform is not an argument.The panel by itself is stunning on top of the overall system functionality which includes also the flight model and overall integration between panel and airframe which makes it feel more robust. If you want to start the aircraft manually you are in for a treat here. Each function can be accessed separately. Right now I still use the automatic startup function as I am still focusing on other area's of the systems. Ground handling is beautiful. This is sometimes a neglected area. And than comes the rest, FMC, flight model (just had a friend who is a 757 co-pilot deprive me for 4 hours from my system only to tell me that this felt very real to him).You cannot go wrong with spending those $34. The manual is outstanding and the support is something others can learn from.I don't know what other Boeing aircraft's are planned. I know that there is a 767 being considered but personally I prefer pmdg to produce smaller jets or a 737. You should go to their forum to get an update on this.Hope this helped.Mannie

Now THATS what I was looking to hear. :-)I was mainly concerned with the way the systems interacted, and that the FMC is as-good-as-it-gets. I went home on lunch and snagged the PMDG 777 (I had a $20 online "webcertificate" I had to use), and it seems to be a well mannered aircraft. If the 757 is an improvement on the 777, then I *know* I'll be a happy customer. Of course, coming in from the "other" world of addon aircraft, I have to get back into the Fly mentality... but I took a REAL short jaunt from my home airport in the 777 over my just sliced TerraScene, and I realize it shouldn't be hard for me to get back into it. I too would be looking for a 737 from PMDG... They'd then have the spectrum of aircraft - Long haul, medium haul, and short haul. The 767 is very similar to the 757, so that shouldn't take *too* much work, but the 737 would be a worthwhile aircraft to have!!Thanks for the input all, and we'll see about this purchase!-Greg

Now that I have read your follow up question I will expand alittle more on why I like this addon so much.The gauges are crystal clear and easy to read.The size of the gauges are nice as well.You can a get great pilots view from the panel.The FMC has everything you would except to see in a 757.There are some static gauges but these are the ones you would not use anyways.They are there simply there to give you the feel of being there.The other art work you find inside the panel is mind blowing.In comparision to PIC.I personally like the PMDG 757 more so far.Just because the enviroment seems real not that it does not in PIC.PMDG 757 is basically the PIC767 of FLY2!.It does not simulate failures but that is something Iam not worried about in a motionless simulated enviroment.The 757 is much more fluid in performance when compared to the PMDG 777.The manual is very complete as well.I would say all and all 95% of this panel is working.Unless you want to simulate paper printing I think you will be very happy with the level of work you will have to do to fly this bird.If I had to complain about 1 thing it would be the fact that still within fly there is yet to be true panel flood lights.Thats something Iam hoping will be added in a patch.Just to atleast have the option.I really do not like the default FLY2 flood lamps.All around Greg I do not think you will be disappointed at all.It takes some getting use to from a eyecandy stand point.It's not FS2002 which is still more of a eye candy sim to me.Don't get me wrong I use it too and like the eyecandy .I just know from my real life experince FLY! does a MUCH better job if I want true to life realizm including flight dynamics not just a nice panel.Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

>The panel by itself is stunningNow this brings interesting questions. When I visited a real 757 cockpit it basically looked very much like a 767 cockpit. The dominant color - the "famous" Boeing beige. When I look at PMDG's 757 panel the colors are (IMO) significant departure from this "beige standard". Also I look at many buttons, FMC, standby AI, fonts used on instruments (altimeter being a perfect example), analog instruments hands (airspeed) - they all have a very different look&feel than a typical 757/767 panel. So I wonder if there are 757 panels out there that look like this one.Michael J.

Guest GrantM

Michal,Just one 757 can perhaps appear this way, but I have spent many hours in several 757s and all of the time the color was exactly the same as PMDG has it. Now my frame of reference is only in Delta 75/76s. I have wonderful graphic posters of 75/76 panels showing differences between variants, used to orient new pilots. Had a 75/76 line pilot the other day send me some new panel posters of 767-300 and ER versions compared to 757. Extremely similar, hence the same cert in both aircraft for pilots. Compared to these authentic orientation posters from Delta, PMDG has their graphics matching almost exactly. Nothing will be exact given the variants of aircraft and age of avionics and plane, there will always be some differences. PMDG panels are extremely typical 75/76 panels at least from my frame of reference.Grant :-)