Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle

tm_san scenery fails to show up..

Guest tonyc

I have the "searchpodfirst=0", terramodels 128. and 256pod., biberall.pod, yet the scenery fails to show up. Any ideas? Yes, these are placed in the scenery folder, and the shared scenery accordingly, just as the instructions ask for. tony

Guest tonyc

Never mind. The instructions ask that the file be palced in the "scenery folder", when it should go in the shared scenrery folder.tony

Guest Eagle

I did the scenery for that airport. Several people have written to me about that. The instructions do say place the files in the scenery folder, however, others like yourself say it only works in the Scenery/Shared folder.On my machine it works using the scenery folder. I will amend the instructions to use the shared folder if it doesn't load from the scenery folder.Perhaps Allen Kriesman knows why this happens.Keep FLYing

Guest Mike94

Hi, i had the same problem with the scenery not showing up, and with one of the older sceneries too.I found the solution. Just delete the _underscore in the filenames (from tm_xxxx to tmxxxx). This makes the scenery to appear.It doesn't matter if the scenery is in the scenery or sceneryshared folder.Hope this helps!Cheers,Michael

Guest Eagle

Thanks Mike, I will make that change on future uploads.Keep FLYing

Eagle,First of all, thanks for taking the time to upload your TM scenery.You were correct in specifying the SCENERY folder and NOT SCENERY/SHARED.Anything that gets put into SCENERY/SHARED will be loaded by Fly2, regardless of your aircraft location. This will eat up memory very fast.The SCENERY/SHARED folder should be reserved for models and textures that are shared by many different sceneries. Ideally, this folder should only contain the default Fly2 POD files, the Terramodels texture files, Biber's models, and any other future 3rd party POD's that contain shared objects or textures.While putting your airport scenery POD files in SCENERY/SHARED will provide a quick fix, it may cause problems later.The problem discribed above looks like some sort of SCF file conflict to me. The solution regarding the underscore character is even more strange :-hmmm Allen

Guest Mike94

Hi,yes, that was strange for me too. That happened with each of eagle's sceneries whos filenames included an '_' underscore. They all didn't show up. When i removed the filename's underscore, all works like it should..I dont know the reason for this, but all works best now.Alan, thanks for the explaination of the difference of the scenery and sceneryshared folder. I always wondered what the difference would be. Now i know!I wonder now, if Scott's great sceneries have to reside in the shared folder, or to better move them to the scenery folder...??? Any ideas if this work???Cheers,Michael

I wonder now, if Scott's great sceneries have to reside in the shared folder, or to better move them to the scenery folder...??? Any ideas if this work???This depends on how Scott created his POD files. Ideally, they should not be in the SCENERY/SHARED folder. If someone is having trouble with sceneries loading, one of the first places to look is whether or not the SCENERY/SHARED folder is unnecessarily overloaded.I am working on a document containing some scenery design guidelines for Fly2. This may help people in the future.Hopefully, the number of airport sceneries will keep increasing. If it does, there are some problems that might come up if the sceneries are not packaged efficiently.For example, Fly2 has a limit of 100 POD files that can be defined in the SCENERY and SCENERY/SHARED folders. I am hoping to soon release an Oklahoma airports scenery set. The package now contains over 20+ airports. If I released these as 20 separate POD files, then I would use up 1/5 of the total number available. As a result, I will be releasing the scenery as a single POD file, with a single SCF file associated with it.I believe that Scott already combines his airports into a single POD, if this is true, then they should work just fine in the SCENERY folder if the SCF file is defined correctly.Maybe Scott could jump in here if he gets a chance. His NY airport sceneries are a big boost to Fly2. I am sure we are all grateful for his work.Cheers,Allen

Guest Mike94

Thanks, Allen!A total of 100 scenery POD's ??? I'm pretty sure i have more than 100 of them... Hm.. i never had problems with this. I'll check that.Cheers,Michael

Michael,The 100 POD file limit came up in a conversation that I had with Rich a while back. We were discussing the most efficient way of releasing airport sceneries.Up until then, I thought that it would be more efficient to release each airport in it's own POD file. That way, fewer airports would be loaded into memory at one time (smaller SCF file coverages).After the conversation with Rich, we decided that it would be better to create regional POD files.I would be interested in knowing if you have over 100 POD files.Allen

Guest nycflyer

I'd jump in, but I don't know what to add!The scenery that I created started with 6 airports or so, and were originally done exclusively with the FlyII editor so I had no idea about SCF files. When I revamped them with TM, I just added the new scenery data and models to my existing response files to create the new pods, still without SCFs. As a result of my ignorance with SCFs, I just continued with the same mindset. Three of the scenery pods (NY1, NY2, and LI) are collections with 6 to 10 airports each and connecting details. The other airports are large (15-25MB), and since I use both editors (TM and FlyII) I still do the final pod build with FlyII. I f there was an easy way to create a SCF file for say LGA, JFK, and EWR I would do it if were some sort of advantage, but since I mainly fly around the greater NY area and everything is so close, it seems advantageous (to me) to have everything pre loaded.Did I answer anything?-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Did I answer anything?Yes you did Scott. Thanks.I understand what you are saying about personal use. It is easy to create scenery for one's own system. It becomes difficult when you have to factor in other scenery combinations :( Fortunately, Fly! users are a forgiving bunch :)If you want, I will work with you later in trying to create a single SCF file + POD file for the entire NY area. First, I want to doublecheck some things with Rich. Then, I want to write a utility that combines POD files and builds a single SCF file from multiple SCF files.Thanks for responding,Allen

Guest tonyc

we need a standard for scenery install/uninstall. Maybe a front end program.....tony

Guest Eagle

Thanks for responding to this question. Your input has contributed very valuable information on the subject.The fault is all mine, there is nothing wrong with your program.After the message by Mike I went back and looked at my files. The scenery works properly on my system with everything in the scenery folder because it does not have the Underline "_" character. When I uploaded to AVSIM I included the Underline character. This I will correct on future uploads and will include a note in the readme file for those who have downloaded my files to delete the Underline character and place the files in the scenery folder and not in the Scenery/Shared folder.Once again thanks for your input and THANKS for that great program of yours.Keep FLYing

Eagle,I just want to confirm one thing. Did both the POD and SCF file have the underline character, or just one. If both of them had the underline character, then it should work fine.The POD and SCF file must have the same name, regardless of what it is.Thanks,Allen