Sign in to follow this  
Guest Henri W

ksan scenery is just right.....

Guest tonyc

Without disrespect to all those wonderful authors and their sceneries( they are all great), I would like to say that the San Diego scenery seems to have just the right amount for no fps drops or stutters. tony

Guest Eagle

Thanks for your kind comments. I will make a study of that file and use it as a guide for future sceneries.I believe Allen said he tried to keep his scenery under 20,000 polygrams and I used that as a guide.I have found that adding runway signs slows the frame rate and will have to decide if it is serious enough to leave the signs out. My next scenery is for KABE - Lehigh Valley which uses signs. Hopefully I will receive comments on the fps and will make a decision then.Again, thanks for your comments. It is these type of comments that help all of us.Keep FLYing

Guest nycflyer

Eagle,How much of ABE do you have done?I had started to work on it, but I put it aside to finish NYC. It's just some hangars, parking lots and some trees really. I've only been there at night so I don't have a clear idea of what it should look like. You're welcome to what I have done so far if you like. If not, of course that's fine too!-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Eagle,The runway signs contain very few polygons. I doubt that the runway sign polygons are causing it.If you are seeing a slowdown with runway signs, it may be because you do not have enough texture slots allocated for them in the RENDER.INI file.Most objects in Fly2 use textures that are 128x128 pixels or 256x256 pixels. The taxiway signs created by TM often use 32x32 pixel textures, or 64x64 pixel textures. The smaller textures take up less video RAM, but are often neglected when it comes to allocation in the RENDER.INI file.Here is what you can do....In the "View" menu, select "View Project Information". Near the bottom of the report you will see "Scenery Texture Slot Usage". This value will tell you how many texture slots, of each kind, are used by your scenery. The RENDER.INI file should also be adjusted if necessary.If you want to show me the report for your scenery here, I can explain further. It may help others also.The taxiway signs are an awesome airport feature, and should generally not hurt framerates. I would be glad to help you get this worked out if possible.Allen

Guest Eagle

Scot,I have completed the airport scenery for ABE and was going to upload it this evening. I have put a hold on it because of comments by Allen in this thread.I created the scenery based on a download of the airport diagram.Have you started any other airport scenery that I may help you on?Keep FLYing

Guest Eagle

Allen,Here is the file you requested:Project Information for KABE:Scenery Object Contents (Custom Objects) : Cargo Building............0 Hangars...................11 Maintenance Building......1 Office Buildings..........1 Terminal Building.........2 Building-Low Poly/Cram....0 Parking Lot Objects.......3 Building-Low Poly/Cram....0 Ground Markings...........0 Runway/Taxiway Signs......16 Subdivisions Objects......4 Tank/Tower................1 Forest Objects............2 Border Objects............0Scenery object Contents (Stock Objects) : Fly II Objects...........14 Stock TM2.x Objects......0 User Objects.............0Object Model Statistics : Maximum # of Polygons/Vertices: 15673/24827 Minimum # of Polygons/Vertices: 5210/7993Scenery Texture Slots Used (may require RENDER.INI tweak) : TM_256.POD Usage: 32_565=[0] 64_565=[3] 128_565=[14] 256_565=[30] TM_128.POD Usage: 32_565=[0] 64_565=[3] 128_565=[13] 256_565=[0]Video Ram Usage For Specified Texture Pack: TM_256.POD: 4.42 mb TM_128.POD: 0.00 mbIf you need anything additional, please let me know. This file is included with all the scenery files that I upload. It may be overlooked by the user for lack of understanding.

Guest Henri W

Eagle,I discovered that fences take an enormous hit on the rame rates. Still sometimes they seem like an essential feature. Imagine a military airport without one.And before I forget, thanks for your beautiful scenery.Henri

After looking at your scenery description, It is hard to believe that the taxiway/runway signs are causing slowdowns.You have only 16 signs defined, and they seem to be using little video RAM. Often, people will not have enough 32_565 slots defined in RENDER.INI. However, your scenery does not use any 32_565 textures.Some of my new airports have over 100 signs. I never have to worry about the signs hurting frame rates. They contain so few polygons. The average sign probably contains only 14-16 polygons.Maybe you could post your RENDER.INI file. Although, I can't image it not being able to handle this configuration, unless you have no 64_565 slots allocated in RENDER.INI.Allen

Henri,Can I ask which fences you are talking about ? I know that the Fly2 fence models contain a huge amount of polygons. The TM fences contain only 4 polygons per 10 foot section, even in the detail view. When the low-polygon fences are kicked in (from a distance), each fence contains only 4 polygons total. A 100-foot fence in Terramodels would contain 400 polygons close up, and only 4 polygons from a relatively short distance. I just wanted to point this out, because the fences in TM should generally cause little effect on frame rates. Even if you surrounded the entire airport, it is unlikely that you could view all the fences at once (in their high-polygon state).Allen

A couply more things that I might mention while I am here....The 3 things in Terramodels that will hurt frame rates the most are trees, parking lots, and subdivisions. Trees contain only 4 polygons per tree, but these can easily be multiplied by 1000's.Also, beware of using the stock Fly2 models. Many of these contain a huge number of polygons. None of the stock Fly2 models utilize low-polygon versions. Allen

Guest tonyc

Allen,your observations regarding fly2 stock models may hold the clue to how future sceneries will affect fps. As I pointed out in another thread, I have used lots of sceneries and a good way to check how well they perform is to bring up the fps graph and then rotate up -down-left-right the fly2 airplane using the external camera view. Some models will briefly lower the fps while they are bein loaded into memory. I noticed that in some sceneries this does not happen at all. Again, I hope that from all of this comes out one standard for all airport sceneries. tony

rotate up -down-left-right the fly2 airplane using the external camera viewYep, this is exactly what I do also.Actually, I first keep track of the maximum number of polygons using the Terramodels interface. I know that this value will be much worse than the worst case within Fly2 (due to low/high model switching and reduced field of view).I am hoping the design document helps out. But, I want to make sure that I don't force my viewpoint on anybody, just offering suggestions :)Allen

Allen,Within Fly! itself, reading just above the frame counter, is this reading an accurate interpretation of the amount of polygons in the scenery from that view point?

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Here is the render.ini file:[Graphics]mipLevelCount=8vertexIndexFormat=1premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=0maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=72maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=20maxTextures256_565=32maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=1mipMapFlag=896maxTextures64=16[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0

Guest Henri W

Allen,The fences I referred to included the Fly! default ones, which were indeed quite bad as far as frame rates are concerned, but I also noticed that those created by TM did affect my frame rates quite a bit. It might have been an unlucky combination of detailed scenery and a complex water mask of the surrounding area, but I definitely got a strong improvement by leaving out the fences.I found that I could get an enormous improvement in fps by lowering the high and medium resolution ranges just a bit. For the EHRD scenery I went from 3 (high) and 15 miles (medium) to 2 and 11 miles, respectively, and went from ~7 fps to 18 fps in comparable situations.Cheers,Henri