Sign in to follow this  

Looking for Something to DO with your PMDG 757?

Why not consider joining a virtual airline?America West Virtual Airlines operations are cordinated by a professional dispatcher...you can't beat the realism. No, you don't have to fly smaller planes and "work up to" the 757. Take a look: [www.awva.net]

Guest tonyc

I checked it out, but it makes no mention of how a check ride can be done for non fs2002 pilots.tony

I did notice that the "hour" carry over check box in the check ride application, does have options such as FS98 & FLY.............. if that helps..??L.Adamson

Tony,In my case, they waived the check ride, and I had no "carry over" hours. To my knowledge, there are only 3 Fly!ers with AWVA at the moment, so we're looking for more. They'll also waive the Captain check ride for Fly!ers, for now. There is a written test, but it's mostly multiple choice and open book. I used the PMDG 757 manual from Fly!2K and aced the exam.Fill out the app, and see what they say. Love to have you on board!

Guest tonyc

I've already applied, and they waived the checkride. I requested a flight and they gave it to me. I will try to fly it tonight, but I am not sure what else comes next. I like the look and feel already: very professionally oriented. More people should take a look at it and PMDG should donate a plane color. Some of the fs2002 models are very attractive.tony

Tony,Pete Sterling did four excellent repaints of the Fly!2K 757 which are available (by permission) on the AWVA website. Pete's just wrapping up the first livery for the Rolls-powered Fly!2 757: the America West "old colors", and he assures me he'll be working on more in the weeks and months to come. For the Fly!2K version, I modified the weights to the aircraft specific values (with Rob Randazzo's permission, of course) for the AWVA website versions, and I hope to be able to do the same thing for each of Pete's America West repaints.I assume you've logged on and accepted your release for tonight's flight. (Sounds like it.) Things couldn't be simpler: each successive flight in your assigned flight line will come up on your pilot page, just open and accept when you're ready to fly. If there's no release queued up for you, there'll be a blue line of text saying "Click here to request a release" and it'll take a day or so to get the next flight. (I generally click the request immediately when it comes up so when I'm ready to fly the next time, I've got a release waiting.) The system automatically records your hours, no "pirep" required. (For FS2K2 folks, there's a "ACARS" module you can add that logs your hours for feeding back to the website...it even handles your fuel!)Bids are done on a mothly basis...depending on how much you fly, you may get to be fairly familiar with the route you're on, and you may get to know some of the controllers on VATSIM, all of which seems to be fairly realistic to me, too.

Guest tonyc

Sounds very good, Kurt. I am still trying to decipher the Release as well as making sure that I become familiar with the airports. How does one get ACARS for FLY2? Do we ask Lefteris?tony

Tony, Sadly, the ACARS module for AWVA in not available for Fly!2. It was written by one of the pilots at AWVA for MSFS. Once there's enough Fly!ers at AWVA, he may consider doing something for us, too.In your New Hire package, there's a Word document called "Release Tutorial" that explains how to read the release. It's a little complicated, at first, but you get the hang of it. After a year with AWVA, they seem pretty straight forward to me.Feel free to e-mail me, if you've got any questions.Good luck!

And one more thing...if you need SID/STAR files for your flights, let me know...I'm working on the files that don't already exist for AWVA destinations.

Guest tonyc

Ha, that's better. I just finished the AWVA, but the tutorial on the release is what I am looking for. I've been flying for a long time IFR, so I know all there's to know. I want to start my experience with awava in a realistic fashion. Thanks, you're being a big help, and I hope this thread will get a few more flyers to join.tony

Hi Kurt,I signed up and now a newly hired F/O flying the B757. The site is very professional.Accepted my first assignment, #107. I'll be flying the first flight, #564, in a day or so.Im anxiously awaiting the new AW liveries.Bob Lyddy

Bob,Good to have you on board. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The folks running AWVA have some great ideas on things. I've been with them for almost a year (with a bit of a break around this past Fall for professional reasons). We might have to prod Mike Collier to organize another company fly-in like we had a while back. Fly! II is so much more SB-friendly that it'd be a real pleasure to attend!