Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

AVSIM - Tom, Scott, etc: Whats the upload problem?

Hi AVSIM guys,I'm wondering what the upload problem is with Geof's B33... From the little thats been posted about it, I get the feeling that there is some kind of new upload policy that somehow has tripped up the B33's posting. Since some sort of unknown new policy could affect all developers, I'd really appreciate if you could outline what the problem could be so we can avoid such a long delay in the future with other works (I think this one has been stuck in your pipeline for, what, four days?).Thanks,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

The fault I am sure is mine. I haven't uploaded anything in two years so am a novice at this. I read the rules but misinterpreted this one:"Please do not upload self-extracting or self-installing executable files that are not packaged in a zip archive with an accompanying descriptive text file. For security reasons, Library Managers will not extract or install files in an unlabeled executable, nor will such files be placed in the Library System."I thought "descriptive text file" meant a text file describing the total package which I did include in the first upload. What they meant was a list of the actual files in the .exe. Seems this rule might be rewritten to make this a little clearer to newbies like me! :(I think I reuploaded correctly early Sunday morning-I am assuming so.......In any case I appreciate them being so careful on their end-it really protects everyone. I just hope the Deb is in the works now.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Geof, what's the file name that you uploaded? I will check to see that things are going okay...

Hi Geof and Tom,I'm not sure this affects the upload, but it may.You named your panel for MSFS2000 b33.zip back in January of 2000, and it is still there. So the same file name may be what is holding it up. http://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se....zip&CatID=RootThe second one on Jan 27, 2000 was deb.zip, so It appears only the b33.zip of Jan 11, 2000 is the one to be removed.I did a search and the file came right up. So that could be why, I don't know. You may want to ask them to remove the old file b33.zip which shows a size of 1738kb.I didn't put it together until just now, as I had seen your previous files in the library, and the naming convention just hit me.Hope this helps,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

I wondered why the b33.zip I downloaded didn't look anything at all like what Geof was describing. Mystery solved. Thanks.

I remember this file well. After his original file was uploaded but not posted, Geoff sent us a note stating he mistakenly left out one gauge file. I Sent Geoff a note regarding his file and have not had a response back to date (see copy of letter below)."Before re-uploading your file we would ask that you do a couple of things. First, I have included a copy of new upload policy and procedures along with a copy of a template text that you should use to describe your file and its contents. This file should be uploaded separately from your zip archive. Please make sure you have completely complied with the uploading policies. Secondly, since your file is an executable file, we would request that you send us a list of all the files imbedded in the .exe file. The reason being, we have experienced a recent surge of copy write infringements as it pertains to .gau files and we need to inspect your files prior to our posting of your work. This is standard procedure and is no reflection on you or your team, but we just need to be certain on this issue. Your being a freeware Author, I

Hi Rick,I apologize for not directing this enquiry to you instead of Tom or Scott, etc. I'll do so if ever there's a need in the future (or just to thank you for all your hard work of course :-)). BTW: Thank you for all your hard work. :-)While I'm not overly involved in Geof's work here or the file he uploaded, I do have a few questions of a general nature:Is it necessary to include an itemized list of what files are included within a self-installing executable? While such a requirement may not be too much trouble for knowledgable users, I can foresee figuring out how to create such a list being a big problem for some who aren't comfortable or familiar with a commandline (a dwindling talent these days). Even more to the point: any dir listed filelist wouldn't reflect whats actually inside a program generated setup exe anyway; the file structure of such an exe is different than what may be installed on a system with the that exe once run (eg: files stored within a setup.exe are usually in .dat or .cab files, etc). I don't see how a filelisting of whats included within an exe would be helpful or possible for many.Second, you state in the rules that any zip must include a copy of the description file (based on the template) as uploaded separately along with the zip. I personally prefer to keep the contents of my zip pristine without having various system specific files included within. Would it be possible to remove this language? As long as the AVSIM specified description file is included separately with any upload I can't see the need to include it within the zip as well.On a side note, any thoughts of supporting the new standard PAD description files (Portable Application Description - http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad)? This might make sorting and any other issues easier to manage in the future as there are many standard PAD creation tools out in the market now. PAD's include all the information you'd ever need for segregating the files in the library the way you need. Specially if AVSIM created its own PAD extension file for all the fields required by your system (its simple HTML: http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/definingextensions.asp).Finally, and just for reference, there are numerous mentions of "copy write" within the official rules... This should probably be changed to "copyright" instead. A nit-picky and wholly unnecessary point, but since I just read it anew anyway... :-)Thanks Rick for your trouble.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Elrond,Thanks for your note. Regarding the copy write vs. copywrite, that was a spell check thing I have since corrected in my MS Word program. Sorry I should have caught that. :-dohRegarding the .exe file list request. Executible files are the exception to the rule regarding this request. As you know, we are not able to see (without a great deal of work) the contents of these types of files. We really try to discourage them because of this plus the possibilities of them being infected w/ virus issues, and the fact that readers are hesitant when it comes to these files as is understandable. The issue for us is, recently a person of who will remain un-named, uploaded two different .exe panels of which were loaded with pirated commerical .gau files. We had no way of knowing this until it was brought to our attention by a reader who had knowledge in these areas. So, for lack of a better way, we just want to know what is in the .exe for obvious reasons. Sure, it would be very easy for a dishonest person uploading these file to misrepresent the contents of the .exe and we would not know the difference.Were just trying to make a conscious effort as best we can in this area. I guess the next thing to do would be to prohibit all .exe files from being uploaded, but we're not there yet, and hopefully will not have to do this in the future. It's too bad that a few bad apples have caused us to have to do this type of police work as it really is not our job nor do we have the time to do such. Moreover, a good .exe file makes it so much easier and convenient for the inexperienced simmer to install a new component or file into his flightsim with little effort.Hope this helps explain our endeavor. Perhaps there is a better way and if so let us know.Regards,Rick RossnerSr. Library ManagerAVSIM Onlinerick@avsim.com

FYI :-)CopyWrite is an early eighties program that bit copies protected software on floppy disks!Copyright

There are those of us who don't mine *.exe or the installers. It's not that we are too dumb to install the aircraft from a zip file, but sometimes it is rather nice to have an auto-installer included with the aircraft. I can understand your views for simplicity, but in the computer world is anything really simple? However it is also the responsiblity of the end user to also virus scan these *.exe's and make sure they are clean.Any way... still waiting (impatiently!)JohnnyKTUS

I re uploaded the file with necessary components on 12:30 am est Sunday morning (or late Saturday nite). It was confirmed with "file uploaded" from your end.So I guess I do have a further question-what happened to it and what do I do now?I will be glad to communicate further if necessary-I assumed the acceptance of the file on late Saturday night would suffice.Re : the confusion- The direct quote when you click the "Read the Rules for Uploading" is:"Please do not upload self-extracting or self-installing executable files that are not packaged in a zip archive with an accompanying descriptive text file. For security reasons, Library Managers will not extract or install files in an unlabeled executable, nor will such files be placed in the Library System." I interpreted "descriptive text file" as a description of the uploaded file. The attached form you sent me did in fact explain that a detailed file list was required.I at least find the wording confusing-but then I am not a regular uploader.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Scott Campbell

Copyright would be correct. A Copywrite is olde English for the guy, usually a monk, who copies stuff for distribution (A copywriter today does pretty much the same thing). ;-)All that aside, this uploading issue is why I have my own site. I have total control over the files, and believe me, I do upload corrections without notice at times. I also delete or exchange when necessary. What can I say, I'm a control freak. :-bigangelJust an interlude. Please return to your normal posting. ;-)

I just did another search and the old b33.zip file is now gone. Maybe I actually figured something out around here... :-)Fingers crossed. :-)***************************************BTW - I think the library gang are some of the unsung heroes around here, and I think you all do a great job...So Thank you as it doesn't get said enough. :-)***************************************Thanks,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

"I think the library gang are some of the unsung heroes around here..."I take exception to that statement. We sing their praises all the time, which means they are the highest paid staff around. :-lolSeriously, theirs is a thankless job. You would not believe some of the stuff they put up with as volunteers. Anyway, I agree with you Joe. We can't praise them enough. They are at it night and day and don't receive near the attention and kudos that they deserve. Thanks for the appreciation Joe. They deserve it.