Sign in to follow this  

Installation error

Guest jrewing

First, I'm a Mac FlyII user in a strange land.I'm trying to install FlyII on a Sony Viao PCV-J120 running Windows 2000 Professional Edition, with 256Mb RAM, 6.7Gb free disk space, and a Radeon 32Mb PCI video card.I restarted before installing and had no other applications running. I launched the installer and everything went fine until it died trying to install the file:d:program filesterminal realityfly!iiaircrafttri3.pod.The progress bar stops at the 19% mark, then after a long wait an error dialog appears saying:Fly! IIAn error occurred during the move data process: -106Component: Program FilesFile Group: Program FilesFile: TRI3.podThe only other non-standard thing is that this machine has a dual-boot setup with Windows ME on the C drive and Windows 2000 Pro on the D drive.Any ideas?John

Is the 6Gb free on the D drive, or the C drive ?You may also want to try installing into just d:fly!ii, or c:fly!ii depending on the free space available.ALSO it does not matter if you use either WinME(FAT32) or 2000(FAT32 or NTFS ???) to DO the install, and then the other operating system to actually RUN it.(assuming that WinME can even see the D drive, ie C and D are both FAT32)...So try installing using the other operating system.Good luck.BrianPS, Macs are MUCH nicer ;-)

Guest jrewing

Hi Brian,I appreciate your suggestions.The C drive contains Windows ME and the D drive has Windown 2000 Pro. There is over 6Gb free on both the C and D drives.I tried your idea of booting with WinME and installing FlyII under that OS on the C drive. The installer died in the same place.The Talonsoft support folks think the CD might be bad ... John

OK - final STUPID suggestion - clean the CD with a soft cloth - it may have a grubby mark preventing it being read properly...Good luck...Brian

Guest jrewing

Thought I'd pass this on to anyone else who might run into this problem.I was able to borrow a LaCie Firewire CD/RW drive from a friend and FlyII installed without a hitch.It appears the formatting of the FlyII CD is incompatible with some CD drives, like the Mitsumi drive that shipped with my old Sony Vaio. The Mitsumi drive seems otherwise fine as I've used it to install Windows 2000, Windows XP, Elite, and a bunch of stuff from Adobe. The FlyII CD also failed (in exactly the same place) on another PC I tried it on. Don't know what kind of CD drive it had.I was a little disappointed with the Talonsoft (FlyII) tech support folks. They didn't respond to my first email and if they knew of a potential incompatability between their CD format and some CD drives, they certainly kept it to themselves.John

I heard of this sort of 'stuff' being used in the good old days of 360 Kb + 720Kb floppy disks.Some companies put anti piracy checks on tracks and sectors that copiers would not normally get to, and therefor if you were using a dupe, it would fail.Trouble was there were shed loads of legitimate users, whose disk drives could not even GET to these tracks when 'required', and the install would fail! Nice to see that this mechanism could still be in operation - makes me feel young ;-) .Glad you got it fixed though...Best Regards,Brian