Sign in to follow this  
falcon999

Please Please Help - constant Winrun.cpp crashes

I will try. Two things, though: 1 - If I use "MSCONFIG" to remove all components from NAV that load at startup, will this be sufficient? I can search for all programs that load from the ...Program FilesNortan Antivirus directory and just uncheck them. This should supress all NAV files from loading.2 - If the above won't work, I would be concerned that I will not be able to put it all back. I got NAV from Dell and am sure I have the original CD somewhere (as Dell includes that stuff when they ship a PC). But if I totally remove it, will I be able to get back my one-year auto-update license? I have a license for auto updates and am concerned that if I pull NAV off my system, I won't be able to get it back.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK,G'day there Mate, I know what you go through, had that problem too, except mine wasn't too hard to figure out.As already mentioned, make sure you won't have any virus scanners or other security software running, this could, I stress could make a difference. My problem actually were the files of C4TO and other scripts as well as the dll file. See, I backed lots of files from Fly2 onto a CD and, I did not know then, when you do that all files backed up get a hidden atribute. So when you copy a file back onto yr HD it is unreadable to the prog that wants to use it. There fore every time I hit the magic Alt F12. that Winrun.cpp popped up. After changing the attribs of the particular files, the scripts were running just fine.Don't know if this will help but at least you know that something like above will also trigger that winrun.cpp error.Good luck and cheersfrom Down-UnderMarco1

I don't want to jump up and down too soon, but as per your suggestion, I used MSCONFIG to unload all NAV-related processes from startup (I figured this was a safer way of uninstalling NAV without truly uninstalling it). I then started up the B777 and initilized C4TO through FlyScripts!.On a flight plan from San Antonio to Dallas, I flew without incident! This was the first time since I started using C4TO with the 777 that I've been able to fly without a Winrun.cpp error sometime during the flight (usually within the first 5-10 minutes).I am not jumping up and down yet - after all coincidences do happen. But I am cautiously optimistic that this may have been the resolution. Up until now, when folks have said, "disable NAV", I thought disabling it through the task bar was sufficient. But it appears not to have been. Stopping all components from loading during startup seems to be the trick.I will continue to test this around the world and will report back in a few days. If this is the solution, I will be very pleased.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK,I certainly hope this is the solution for you. I am also running NAV on my system and simply disable it when using Fly!II/C4TO and have had no problems. I think the main difference here is I am running XP, which does not run background tasks in the same manner as Win98 OS variants.

Randall Rocke

I am too running Windows XP (Home) edition. -DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I did jump up and down when I thought that I had solved my Winrun error problem. As it turned out I'm starting to receive Winrun error again quite frequently. I too disable NAV from the task bar befor each flight, but without success. I'm running Windows 98SE on my unit. Do you think that using "MSCONGIG" will work for me? Please say yes!!!!!!!Curtis

Curtis,Give it a try - the program is "msconfig". The fast way to run this is type it into the Run... window and press Enter. Find all references to the NAV directories, uncheck them to disable all the parts, reboot to close them out - run Fly!To get protection back you will need to repeat the process and turn all of the elements back on.DK - I wonder if some of this may be due to what options are activated in NAV? For instance, I do not allow "Auto-Update" to run...ever. I allow it to notify me of update times but do all updating manually.

Randall Rocke

I have no idea if MSCONFIG will work for you - not technical enough. MSCONFIG is part of the WinXP OS toolset. I'm not certain that Win98 has this program. MSCONFIG is a tool that your run from the "Run...." prompt under the Start Menu. It lists all loaded files, configs, dll's, exe's etc. at startup that do not appear under the "Startup Items" directory. For each item, there is a checkbox to enable or disable it from loading. If you have such a program with Win98, great - try it. Find all the files associated with NAV.If not, try de-installing NAV by using the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel. Obviously doing so will require you to re-install if that's not the issue, so make sure you have the original CD.Last thing:Although I had a successful flight two nights ago, I have not re-tested my theory. It is possible this is a total coincidence. I will not have time to test this again til at least tomorrow (Thurs) night. I will, as I noted above, re-post my results after a few more test flights on the 777 with C4TO enabled.Good luck. May the Schwartz be with you!-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Randall:I also do not allow auto-update. I also have disabled "notify" b/c it annoyed me. The only thing I had was "auto-protect" on in general, but would disable that before flying. One other thing, I had excluded the Fly directory and all subdirs from scanning, so even if I had forgotten to disable auto-protect, as far as I understand, these dirs should not have been scanned. All that said, I still experienced the Winrun.cpp crashes frequently until I actually used MSCONFIG to remove NAV from startup.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK,MSConfig is indeed in all Win98 variants - good luck to you!

Randall Rocke

Thank you Randall:Sorry for the mis-spelling. I can't wait to get home and try out your suggestion (msconfig)!!!If this works, your the best!! Just think of all of the other people that you may have helped. My hopes are high, but like DK, I don't want to jump too soon. As you can see from my earlier postings, I thought I had the problem licked. Heres hoping......!Curtis

Curtis:Next post, please note your system specs (computer brand, memory, OS version, video card, etc. just so we can try to figure out why you and me seem to have this problem and others (I'm sure others are using NAV) aren't.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Sorry! Of course you're right! I fully agree! The more information given, the more information or help you can receive!Here are my system specs:Fly!II v230, Dell Dimension, PIII/733Mz, 256MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4400 v28.83, Win'98SE.I hope this helps!!Curtis

Results of tonight's flight (United Airlines 777 from CYVR to KSEA) with C4TO: Golden! No errors, no winrun.cpp, nothing. This is looking good....-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Fantastic David:I too had a successful flight two nights ago with C4TO,(NAV disabled with "msconfig" as suggested), but I'm holding back on celebrating until further flights tonight and this weekend. If everything works out, on Monday I'm ready to declare Randall "KING OF THE HILL". It feels great to successfully complete a flight with C4TO; doesn't matter whether the flight is a long or short flight. I'll report in on Monday on how I did!Curtis