Sign in to follow this  

I have ANOTHER new video card

Guest Lindy

Some of you may remember the difficulties I was having trying to upgrade to a GEForce card from my current TNT2Ultra video card. I had tried three different brands of GEForce cards, and my computer absolutely refused all three of them..... it wouldn't even boot up.Well, I took the darn thing (the computer) into the computer shop the other day. I was told the majority of my computer difficulties stemmed from my McAfee anti-virus software, which they deleted. My machine was scan disked/defragged and checked out. Apparently I should be able to change video cards now, so I went out to buy one.I found a VisionTek geforce2 Ti card w/64mg DDR memory for 100 bucks that I'll try to install this evening. I'm hoping a 64 mg card will smooth out Fly!2's performance around 3rd party airports such as Renton (currently I can't even fly around that scenery) even with my PIII 700 computer. Wish me luck.-Lindy :-wave

Goodluck and belive me you won't be disapointed if it works. I have the same card and I get 25FPS and up running at 1024x768, 32bits, 2xFSAA, terrascenery, and all sliders at max. Compare that to my old Geforce 2MX 16MB ;)Umm whats AGP Texturing?Goodluck Again,pluto1168(kelvin)

Guest Lindy

Okay, gang....I've got the new card. Instructions say: 1. remove old card. 2. install new card. 3. Start computer and at Desktop, click My Computer.Well, my computer DOES at least boot up (which is a big improvement over the other cards I've attempted to install) but the "desktop" is nothing but a black&white version with NO icons or taskbar. Windows identifies my new card and asks for the disk to be inserted in the drive. I put the CD in my Drive:E, locate and click on the Win98 folder. But Windows CAN'T FIND THE FRIGGING DRIVER!!!!There are NO options to do anything else. I'm stumped.I came here to my work computer to d/l the most recent drivers from nVidia onto a floppy, intending to try to install from the floppy instead of the CD. The drivers appeared to d/l just fine, but they didn't show up on the floppy! That has NEVER happened before. (I sure hope the darn things didn't try to install themselves on this work computer 'cause I don't have an nVidia card on this machine.)I guess I'm due for another trip to the computer store.-Lindy

Guest Gregg580

Hey Lindy.. Not again!!! You might want to change to a standard vga adapter first. You can do this on boot up when windows ask you to install the drivers. Select "display drivers in a location", then show all hardware. Scroll up to standard display adapters and do the rest with ok or apply....., even though windows says it is not compatable. Reboot your computer, and you will be in 16 colors only. Now go to the windows 98 folder on the cd to find the .exe file and run it. I'm guessing that file is an .exe, and the file you downloaded is also...that's why windows could not find them qat boot up...cause it was looking for an .inf driver file. Good luck. Nice to "see" you.

I don't think the drivers would fit in a floppy. Since Nvidia drivers are more than 8MB in size. What you can do is when you see the dialouge box saying hardware detected click cancel. Windows will boot up to desktop (will look really ugly) open your driver cd and click the approriate folder and driver file for windows (9x, 2000/XP, NT).Hope this helps,Pluto1168(kelvin)

Guest ben_

LindyIs there a menu bar at the top? Just making sure you're in Windows.If you can ignore the dialog,.Open MyComputer program group.Select Control Panel (icon?).Select Display icon-SelectSettings page-Select either Advanced Properties or Change Display Type (W98 select Adapter Page first).On Select Device page-Select Have Disk-W98: Display a list of all drivers in a specific location.Click Next button.Find driver disk -if the above works you should be able to find your disk(fingers crossed)I have no idea if you'll be able to follow the above (logically or physically) so good luck :-)Ben

Guest Lindy

Actually I use an LS 120mg floppy, so yes, they will fit. When I went to My Computer and clicked on my LS drive, the downloaded file was not there....poof -- just disappeared. Yet there was no indication that the download failed. Now when I boot up with the new card installed and the dialogue box comes up, there IS NO option to cancel. Just "OK" The procedure you describe is what I'm familiar with, but there's no way to get to it from what is showing on my monitor. That is what is so puzzling. But thanks for making the suggestion. I have changed video cards before (as well as drivers) so I know what is SUPPOSED to happen. It's just not happening the way it's supposed to. Darn.-Lindy ************>I don't think the drivers would fit in a floppy. Since >Nvidia drivers are more than 8MB in size. What you can do is >when you see the dialouge box saying hardware detected click >cancel. Windows will boot up to desktop (will look really >ugly) open your driver cd and click the approriate folder >and driver file for windows (9x, 2000/XP, NT). >>Hope this helps, >Pluto1168(kelvin)

Guest Lindy

Thanks for the suggestion, Ben. But there are no icons, no taskbar -- nothing but the dialogue box that tells me to insert the disk. Yes, I AM in Windows, just two colors. The CD in the drive is located, but the file Windows keeps asking for is not found.There is no option to bypass the dialogue box by any fashion. I have changed video cards before and have never run into this problem in the past.But I WILL persevere. Since the computer does boot up with the new card, I'm sure I'll eventually figure out what the problem is.-Lindy

Guest Lindy

... :-wave Yes, AGAIN!! :-lol I'll admit I did not change to standard VGA before removing my old card and installing the new one. I hoped that since I already have the updated drivers that I want to use with the new card already installed and working, the new card would simply detect them and be ready to go. So much for thinking!! :-rollI'll figure this out.......I can be VERY stubborn. Besides I'm quite encouraged by the fact my computer actually starts up with the new card installed... even if I can't get the drivers installed yet. -Lindy

Since the driver is a .EXE executable (will install automatically) you should try to install the driver first from the driver CD using your old videocard(since its the only one that works currently on your system). It will ask you to reboot but don't shut down computer then install the new card. Boot up now it will detect the driver since its already installed on your system.again hope this helps,Pluto1168(kelvin)

Lindy I have a question abit off topic but did your visiontek card Geforce 2Ti come with ram sinks?thanks,Pluto1168(kelvin)

Guest Lindy

Sorry......what's a "ram sink"? There is no mention of "ram sink" on the box anyplace.Also, in reference to your previous post -- the drivers I WANT to use are the most recently released from nVidia (29.42 or 29.24... something like that). These drivers ARE already installed -- I'm using them with my current video card. I figured the new card would find the drivers and use them. That's what I get for thinking. :-roll -Lindy

Guest Lindy

...... now there is no video showing!!!I made one last try this evening. When the computer asked for the disk, I pointed it to my Windows System folder since that is the location of the 29.42 (or whatever) drivers I wanted to use anyway. If the program couldn't find the file it wanted, I told it to "skip file." Eventually I got the window message that the drivers were installed. I then restarted the computer and held my breath. (I had just used the same technique to reinstall those nVidia drivers to my TNT card which is why I figured it would work with the GEForce card.) It booted up.....ran through the POST....I got the Windows splash screen and then..... nothing. Just a big, fat, black, blank monitor. I could hear programs loading up but I can't see a thing!I don't think I'm destined to have a new video card.... doggone it!-Lindy

Guest Gregg580

Sorry to hear. Skipping files is usually no good. Splash screen is still pre windows/dos. Drivers not loaded properly I guess. Hope you get it sorted out.Best of luck...and as always..........