Sign in to follow this  

I have ANOTHER new video card

Hi Lindy,Maybe we can get your card working correctly. What probably happened is when you "skipped files" some were not properly loaded and written to the registry. See if you can boot in "safe mode" and if you can, right click on the desktop and click on properties. Click on "settings" and click on "advanced". Then click on "adapter" and then "change". When the next window opens, put a dot in "specify the location of the driver(advanced) and then click on "next". When the next window opens , put a dot in " "display a list of drivers in a specific location etc and then click next. In the next window hilite "display drivers" and click next. The next window that opens on the left under "manu." , (standard display types) will be hilited and on the right "standard display adapter (vga) will be hilited. Click next again, a warning message will appear, just click "yes" and another window will open. Just click next again, Then click "finish".Let the computer reboot and now you have to redownload the drivers and install them.This should work, I don't see why not.Good luck,Ed

Do you know what heatsinks are? If you know what they are they are just heatsinks attached to the memory chips in the videocard. Just asking becouse mine didn't come with one as it shown on the visiotek website.

Lindy, First thing you want to do is put the "OLD" card back in and let windows redectect the old card.It will proboly just find the old drivers but if not go ahead and use the drivers that game with the "OLD" card.Once this is done reboot.You should have a normal desktop again. Now do the following . first got www.nvidia.com and download the 29.42 drivers.the 29.42 are out but the refresh rate is broken again at least for win2k but maybe not for win9x so we will try 29.42 anyways :) now do the following after downloading those drivers 1. Click on "my computer" 2. Click on "control panel" 3. Click on "Add and Remove Programs " 4. Find Nvidia display drivers, removes those drivers ( it maybe say riva tnt ultra and not nvidia ) 5. when it asks to reboot say NO 6. click start (on the task bar) the run , type regedit you should now have the windows registery editor 7. Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER you will get a drop down list of folders find and click software.you will get another drop down list of all software installed and in some cases left over folders from previous uninstalls.You now should see Nvidia Corp or may Riva TNT.Remove that folder.Now do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (click on software.. delete nvidia corp) 8. close the register editor and shutdown 9. removes the old tnt card and put the new geforce in 10 turn on the computer and windows should detect the geforce card and ask you where the drivers are. "click CANCEL" 11. click on the 29.42.exe and install the new nvidia drivers.Windows may or may not show a detection of the new card.Also your screen my flash a few time and go black.This normal when tring to dectect your monitor . 12 when it ask to reboot do so and everything should work now.If it does not it may be time to give the computers and nice reformat and reinstall just to get old junk files out and have a nice clean new registery.This is not a bad thing I do it all the time so win2k.It's just like getting a major tune up with car only a computer :) 13 the last thing to try is to reboot push F8 before you see the windows startup screen and boot in to safe mode.Then do this 1.click on my computer,control panel ,SYSTEM 2.click display and if you have more than one display adpater showing remove it .If it just says Geforce 2 thats ok. 3. click monitor and look for multiple entries and remove all but the first and reboot . 4. in most cases that does the trick If none of that fails I would suggest if anything a reinstall of windows.That will indeed cure any problems since you will have refresh registery but you will have to reinstall your programs possibly .Personally I would just FDISK ,repartion and reformat if it came down to it because my performance would increase so much :) good luck,I hope this helps you get on the right track Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Guest Lindy

...... of why I'm having such trouble with GEForce cards. The cards require a 2.0 AGP slot. Apparently MY AGP slot is only 1.0. Two computer shops have attempted to help me upgrade my video card over the last few months and neither one of them so much as made a peep to me about the AGP slot... DOH! I myself thought the AGP must be at least 2x compliant since an early GEForce card DID run at one time......I couldn't change drivers, but the card did work. But I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought a new MB with a 4x compliant AGP slot! Let's hope I'm not killing a fly with a bulldozer... :-eekAnyway, thanks to all of you who tried to helpe me out with the video card troubles. The new MB should clear things up -- I hope.-Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest Lindy

The GEForce2 Ti card specs say it needs an AGP 2.0 compliant slot. The AGP slot on my MB is only 1.0 compliant (according to the MB manual). I've tried FOUR types of GEForce cards that would not install and/or run. The bottom line is SOMETHING was fishy. So if the card wants a 2.0 compliant AGP slot, then it will GET a 2.0 compliant AGP slot. -Lindy :-wave

Guest cornclose

Lindy,I have my ELSA Geforce2 GTS running on my SS7 board which has an AGP1.0 slot, even though the GTS specs say it needs a 2.0 slot. It could be a cause of your problems as some cards may be happy on some AGP 1.0 slots, but others may not...Since you got yourself a new mobo (which is by no means a bad thing) I assume you will be re-installing the OS of your choice. This in itself may have cured your problems on your other (older) motherboard.Good luck...:-wave :-beerchugChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest Gregg580

I hope it works out for you Lindy. I'm going to a 2,100+ Amd . 2700 ddr RAM abit kx7 tomorrow.

Guest ben_

Sounds as if success is in sight.Good luck.

Guest Lindy

I just hope it will have all been worth it and the new 64 mg card smooths out my Fly!2 performance. I'm not a big FR counter so I don't care if the FRs are low, but the jerky, slide show of some of the 3rd party sceneries has GOT to go. This will probably turn out to be the most expensive video "card" I've ever gotten (and let's hope the new MB doesn't give me any NEW troubles!!!) :-erksTo all the Dads out there ---- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY :-jumpy :-yellow1-Lindy

Lindy, I scanned through all the great suggestions you got, but one idea was left out: the problem with the Mcaffee virus program that originally started all this. At my work we had been using Mcaffee until the last version which managed to cripple numerous machines. The IT people told me it was full of bugs and also hooks which can really mess up computers. I know you had it removed, BUT be aware: there may be some files left. I have some on my office computer that will hang up Int.Explorer. The IT people worked on it and can't find a way to remove them. It's a mess. SO, be sure and check that ALL the McAffee files are really gone as well as any registry entries. Some of our IT people have suggested that in the worse case to reformat the hard drive and re-install. Just one more idea for you. (We now use only Norton for AV) Mike Monce