Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Error Message

I keep getting this error message for the last month or so when changing views. "Directx8 3D driver error, DrawindexedPrimitive SVertexc failed". I have reinstalled directx8.1 which didn't help. Can anyone help me?Thanks Ed

Try increasing your AGP aperture size in the BIOS settings when rebooting. I had the same problem when switching views and on other occassions. I increased it from 64 MB to 128 MB, which is half my 256 MB of ram memory.

Thanks for the reply but here is the problem. I used to have the agp size set at 64. When I ran FlyII I was getting only 5fps. By decreasing the agp size to 32, fps increased to 28. Just set agp to 128 and fps fell to 3. I was having no problems at all until last month when FlyII crashed and took a scenery pod and deleted it. I remade the pod and ever since then, I have been having this error message. Ed

Ed,This can be a frustrating thing to solve, mattering on the individual system. Overall, it is usually caused by assigning too much texture memory to one or more of the slots in your render.ini.If the problem dissappears when increasing the AGP Aperture, then you probably are filling up and over-extending your slots. The extra textures are then loaded into standard RAM through your AGP (which works but may dramatically slow your frame rate).Check your slot assignments with one of the memory-use calculators available for tweaking your render.ini and make sure you're not exceeding your card's memory - remember that the card and FSAA (if you're using it) also need some memory. If you have a '999' parameter for one of your slots, you may want to change it - some systems have trouble with this. Try setting it to 350 to start, then tweak it up or down with one of the calculators and see if your problem goes away. You may also want to try turning on (or off) T&L to see if that has an affect.As far as AGP Aperture is concerned, I would really recommend a setting of no less than 64MB. Then get a good render.ini going to make up the difference, get your frame-rate back up and running without errors.

Randall Rocke

G'day Ed,This is quite a common error.I have a geforce2 gts 64 Mb card and if I use the latest nvidia drivers then I get this error. I can avoid the error by either.a) not selecting T & L in the startup options and use the later driversor:( stay with the 1241 Nvidia drivers, and the problem doesn't rear it's ugly head.This is the option I choose to use as I like the T&L effects.Essentially the I think from memory the problem arises with the later drivers if you exceed the number of available texture slots at any given moment. Careful allocation of slots in the render.ini may help but I was never able to completly solve the problem so I'm happy to use the older drivers where the problem doesn't exist AND I can use T&L and also use 2x or 4x FSAA.Cheers,Roger @YSSYPS I don't have a clue about the geforce3 or 4 cards.

Thanks Guys for your responses.Here is a copy of my render.ini file dated 12/23/01[Graphics]mipLevelCount=8vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=16maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=145maxTextures128_565=345maxTextures256=50maxTextures256_565=80maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=2mipMapFlag=896[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0I was using the 1241 drivers whith no problems till last month. Last week I installed the latest drivers, 2942 and thats when the fps fell through the floor. I had my agp set at 64- fps=5, but when i set the agp at 32, fps jumped up tp 28 but still have the error message. Later today I will reinstall the 1241's and see what happens. I'll let you know how I make out.Thanks for all your help.Ed

Mark:How do you physically change the AGP in the BIOS. When I open the BIOS, I have two choices [64] and [256]. The choices are made by using the tab key. If you want to change [64] to [128], can you just type it in?Curtis

After changing the drivers and AGP aperture size- either the fps would drop or I would get the error message. After doing some more investigating< I found one line in fly.ini had changed (I Made a backup after the last update).Under the ui section, this line had changed from:overlayState=01000000001111to:overlayState=10000000001011I don't know what this does, but after changing it back to the original--error message stopped. I then reinstalled the 2942 drivers and fps went up tp 32. This is with t&l enabled. I have run the program for over 3hrs. with no problems.Thanks to all for their help.Ed

On every computer I have worked on, I have used the page up/down keys to change the aperture size. Try it, it might work.Ed

Ed,That's some pretty good detective work - interesting find!

Randall Rocke

G'day Ed,Coooolll! What card are you using?Also does FSAA work in 2x and 4x?You're tempting me to have another go with the 2942 drivers ( are they for the geforce2 chipsets )Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Well another couple of hours and no problems. If it wasn't for you guys, I don't think I would have found the problem.Roger, I am using a Gforce2pro, 64 on a p3 500. On my machine the colors are more crisp and as I said, I gained 4 fps. I do have FSAA enabled using RivaTuner and the method is 1.41x1.41. How would I find out if Fly2 is using it? I forgot, its been a long time. I think these drivers are well worth it.Ed

Guest Mike94

Roger,i have the geForce2 GTS2/64MB too, and the 29.42 driver works pretty well (with XP here). Not really an improvement in FPS, but the colors are indeed more crispy. FSAA works well, too. It's worth the install.Cheers,Michael

G'day Michael,I'll give it a try Michael. The last time I tried the 2241 drivers I think it was I had all sorts of problems with the "failed primative vertex error" and anti aliasing would only work in 4x mode which was too much of a hit on the fps.I'm off to download now. thanks for the post.Cheers,Roger @YSSY