Sign in to follow this  
Guest ben_

reinstalling Fly2K

Just got a copy of Fly2K at a local store,which is a jewel case version one (1) disk. It did install but the graphics are very poor, Can someone using Fly2K please let me know what patches and if any other files I need to download to get it running smoothly. I have Fly2 running and just want to get back to some of the great aircraft and scenery Fly2K has to offer. If anyone has a copy of Longbow 2 they want to get rid of let me know please.ThanksPhil

Phil,If you indeed have a complete 2K, you can really make it sweet. First of all, go to Salty's web site and get your VCF (Video Card File) squared away. Elrond's tutorial should do the job: http://www.thesalters.org/fly2/vcf/index.htmIf you have 2K, it comes with some of the patches and updates built-in. With that in mind, remember that you are at the ver 1.01.87 level.Included with Fly! 2K are the following items: Sky! and Infometar. Load these programs - they are fantastic! Both Sky! and Infometar have new versions out - you'll find them right here at Avsim.com. When you install Sky!, you also add new textures to all the runways and taxiways in Fly!, so one thing you definitely won't need is the update: Runways.Next I would download the following:--Ground Control. Replaces the Fly! generic scenery with far better generic scenery.--Sky! updates and additions--Patch (VERY IMPORTANT) - the SDK 1.01.88 (User) or (Developer) upgrade. Without this patch, you won't be able to enjoy many of the latest and greatest add-ons for Fly!, including the following:--ALL of Rob Young's fantastic flight models and updates to the default Fly! aircraft. Want your flying to feel and perform like the real thing? Get all of these, and make certain they're the latest versions.--Flyscripts! This scripting program opens up all kinds of possibilities for adventuring, ATC, you name it - in fact, it spawned:--C4TO (Cleared 4 Take Off). This fantastic program has changed the rather bad ATC of Fly! (at least it had one) to a very liveable one. In order to have the latest combo do the following: Install the first versions of Flyscripts! and C4TO. Then install the update for Flyscripts! followed by the update for C4TO and you'll be in business!--Download all of the great scenery (geographic and some airports). The majority of these are on Avsim. Great stuff here, whether satellite or Terrascene.--Terrascene II - bake your own great scenery! Set it up right and you can make scenery for both versions of the sim.--Check out some of the other aircraft! Because of the complexity (and accuracy) of Fly!, aircraft are not easy to make. I would give special mention to: the Embraer 120, Rob's Learjet, a fantastic Mooney Ovation and Citabria, etc.Payware - you can't beat this stuff!--ANY of the PMDG (Precision Manuals Development Group) Airliners that are compatible with the original Fly! I believe you can still get the B777.-- the Rhein-Muhr custom Fly! scenery. This is probably the best scenery for Fly!/Fly!2K.Even with the growth of Fly II, there's new stuff every day for the original Fly!. Keep checking out the library!

Randall Rocke

Guest Dean

It's been a while since I installed Fly! but, as I recall, it was on 3 disks. I know you can leave out some items during the installation and run Fly! with the CD in the drive but will it install properly from just 1 CD?

He must have the so called "lite" version which indeed at one point was published on a single CD with limited scenery and fewer aircraft.Michael J.

Thanks Randall:I did have the complete Fly2K version some time ago but gave it the a kid at church when Fly II came out. I did the same with Longbow 2 that's why I want to get an other copy. I found out in the net it's still very much alive. I really enjoyed all the Aircraft and scenery i had downloaded before for Fly2K, that is why I wanted to try it again.The only version I could find was the (1) disk version at a stapels store. I thought the secenery for Hawaii was the best I have ever seen for that area. I wasn't sure of what patches or files I would need so that is the reason I asked. The graphics cleared up quite a bit after rebooting but I know I can still get them better. With the info you gave me I should have all I'll need to get it up and running. Again, Thanks you guys for your help and comments. I know I'll be spending quite a bit of time downloading all I want to add to this program.Phil

Dean,Disc 1 contained the full program and the extras like Sky! Disc 2 was all the satellite scenery - Disc 3 was all the sectional charts.He'll be missing all the charts and special scenery areas - Chicago, Dallas, LA, etc.

Randall Rocke

Guest ben_

One small addition which made a lot of difference to me was "dirty Runways' - not the exact name , but hopefully a search of the files will find it.Ben