Sign in to follow this  
Guest rene_35

ROTW PA-19

Hi all,I was digging 'round the 'net when I discovered this interesting website called Aerofiles focusing on American aviation (see Aerofiles). They've got this enormous database with every manufacturer's product lines from somewhere around 10,000BC to the present. I found this interesting entry for the PA-19/PA-20 Pacer:PA-19, -20 Pacer 1950 (1A4) = PA-16 with 125hp Lycoming O-235 or O-290-D; span: 29'3" length: 20'5" load: 825# v: 125/112/50. Flaps, control wheel and other improvements. $3,298; POP: 1,119 PA-20 and 1 as PA-19. Original Clipper designation was changed because of objections from PAA, who claimed prior rights to the name. Transcontinental, non-stop lightplane record of 23h:4m:31s in May 1951 (p: Max Conrad).What strikes me odd is the "POP: 1,119 PA-20 and 1 as PA-19." line. According to the Aerofiles website, the "POP" tag signifies the number that were made. Does this mean that the F-BOER is the one and only PA-19? Is the Aerofiles website simply wrong? Or is the F-BOER actually a PA-20? Inquiring minds want to know! Just some light entertainment...Cheers, Tony

Tony,The Aerofiles page must be wrong. There are at least two others you can find pictures of in the [www.airliners.net] database.The US Army bought them with the designation L-18C. The FAA Aircraft specs for the PA-19 say that the difference between the PA-19 and the PA-18-90 is that the cabin roof is transparent in the -19. It's fabric in the 90 horse PA-18.

Hi Kurt,The airliners website is another interesting resource. Thanks! I knew something didn't add up right. So basically, the F-BOER is a PA-18 with a whole lot of glass. :-) Does this mean that ROTW's F-BOER has the 95hp Continental C-95 engine? Or is it the 125hp Lycoming 0-290? And there was also the 150hp Lycoming O-320 which appeared in some of the latter PA-18 Super Cubs. I'm guessing that it's the 95hp variety since the Lycoming versions had better performance and the manual supplied by ROTW shows cruising speeds commensurate with the Continental engine. Who'd've thought that an aircraft's lineage could be as complicated as this. :-)Cheers, Tony

Tony,It's the Continental 90 horse. I don't think the PA-19 had any other engine, like the PA-18 did. As for the many engine variations, go look at the Boeing website and check out how many engines you can buy a new 757 with...:-eek

Guest rene_35

Hi Kurt,you are right!The PA19 is the french civil version of an old military L18C (this name has been done by Piper Aircraft when France government bought a lot of these aircrafs)Engine is a 90 hp lycoming.No FlapThis F-BOER is in service in my flightclub (I fly on it time to time).We had 5 PA19 many years ago, and one of the last (F-BRIK) has been crashed in a meeting (carburator frozen 50 ft above the ground)The ROTW model is very accurate: we have compared and tested all parameters with the real aircraft (as for the PA28 and The TBM700)Now a picture or the real F-BOER

Have good virtual flights on the BOERRen