Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

New system memory.....

Guest dek

This is only indirectly asociated with simming, but... I am getting an AMD 2100 on an ASUS A7V333 mobo. I want to get 512megs of pc2700 DDR333 memory.ASUS recommends only certain company brands of memory, none of which are 512megs. How important is this? I'm planning on purchasing on line and the company has Samsung brand, but does not list the model#. Only registered and non-registered. Also, should I get this mobo with or without RAID?Anything specific I should know?Any help appreciated before I buy the wrong thing.Thanks, dek

Guest Philip Olson

I'll jump in here and try to help out since I have recently purchased the same set up. I think the reason that they recomend certain memory is for the speed, that is the latency timing (CAS 2). I think that I read somewhere that you need CAS 2 to run at DDR333. I may be wrong here, if so please let the experts correct me. I purchased Corsair memory for my new system and I can say that running at CAS 2 does have an advantage over CAS 2.5 in the speed department. As far as RAID goes it is just a matter of choice I guess. You can set up RAID to split up the data between two identical hard drives which gives a speed increase but if one drive fails both are basically history. Another way to set it up will copy all files to both hard drives so if one fails you have an exact copy to use as a backup. I have been told by many people that setting up a RAID system can be problematic and is not worth the effort unless you are running a network, so the choice is yours but for the small difference in price I would get RAID in case you want it. I did get the RAID option on my board but I have not messed with it yet, although I am sure that I will someday.I am very happy with my system and have had no problems at all, if there is anything else you want to know you can email me or just post here.PhilipSystem Specs.AMD XP2100Asus A7V333 w/RAID Mobo1024 MB Corsair PC2700 memoryGeForce TI4600Hitachi 21" monitor

Guest dek

Thanks for the info Philip! I will make sure to get CAS 2 memory.dek

Guest PaulL01

>This is only indirectly asociated with simming, but... I am >getting an AMD 2100 on an ASUS A7V333 mobo. I want to get >512megs of pc2700 DDR333 memory. >ASUS recommends only certain company brands of memory, none >of which are 512megs. How important is this? I'm planning on >purchasing on line and the company has Samsung brand, but >does not list the model#. Only registered and >non-registered. >>Also, should I get this mobo with or without RAID? >Anything specific I should know? >>Any help appreciated before I buy the wrong thing. >>Thanks, dekHi Deck,You can run a samsung PC2700 512 stick (#k4h560838c-tcb3)just fine at 166/333. it is CL2.5 and with out much proding will run at CL2.0 but only at 166/333(you will have to add a little extra voltage in the BIOS).You are better off going the few extra bucks though for the Corsair CL2.0 512 as Phill suggested as that will be very stable at CL2.0 at even much higher FSB speeds than just 166/333. Take Care,Paul