Sign in to follow this  

The Big Island Revealed

Here are a few shots of the island of Hawaii that I've been playing with off and on for a year now. Since much of the land use data for Hawaii appears corrupt in Terrascene I used some highly detailed shapefiles available from a government site for the county of Hawaii. I used a mixture of textures from Fly 2 and HITW's original texture pack for Fly/Fly2K. The lava is a modified HITW texture. PhotoShop Elements is a wonderful tool (as is TerraScene -- goes without saying).You'll notice in the first shot I patched in an aerial photo I found of Hilo. Overlaying this exactly on top of a terrascene rendering the airport runway is slightly to the north of where Fly 2 has placed it. I'll try to upload this in the next couple of days but it's very large. Hope you enjoy.Don

Don,Wow, that is just incredible looking scenery !, I can only imagine how much work you put into this wonderful project.I am certainly looking forward to flying over that beautiful scenery.Thanks so much!.Kind RegardsAndy

Don,Thanks for all the work on this! Having spent some time with the Hawaii data situation, I certainly know how difficult that area is to work in.

Randall Rocke

Guest Mgarmy

Hi Don,Must have been a real pain aligning and scalling to get the textures right. I am more or less engaged with the same trying to use modified shapefiles and TerraScene with various configurations to get some nice results. Still a long way to go though.Looking forward to land in HawaiiMannie

Guest chezz

Hi Don,Great work.chris

Hi Don; those pictures are excellent. I've been hoping someone would do the Hawaii scenery for Fly II. I remember the Hawaii scenery for Fly, Fly2K being very well done. Your doing a great job,when do you think you might have them ready for the rest of us to really enjoy on a daily basis.Phil

Many thanks for all the positive comments. Much appreciated. I should have this up at least by this weekend, I just have to write the readme and make sure I give proper credit to the various sources I've used to create this scenery.While you wait (assuming you're waiting) here are a few more screen shots.Don