Sign in to follow this  

Problem with 19

I have installed a Sony G420 CRT monitor and find the dials on the instrument panels are elliptical,not circular.I am running at 1024 x 768 and am not able to correct problem with the "Geometry" adjustments available in the monitor menu.Sony, (Australia) unable to help!!!!I thought a 19" monitor would be icing on the cake with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600Any suggestions would be appreciated.Rodger

Guest ben_

I don't really have any concrete answers Rodger, but is it possible there is a software/hardware setting on your video card for different outputs that can be altered ( zoom, TV, NTSC, PAL ) - all those sorts of things that change aspect ratios ?Ben

Guest GrantM

There is a setting for restoration to factory defaults. Try this, or make sure your vertical and horizontal linearity is adjust properly via menu since there are no physical knob adjustments. If these fail, you need to take it in for warranty repair. That would be a bit of a shame since the G420 is a pricey and high end display. Good luck.Grant

Grant,Thanks for the reply.If I set resolution at 800x 600 the dials are circular, but who wants to run a AD$1000 monitor at this setting?It's noticable on the pannel of your repainted TBM700.I was really looking forward to seeing it on a large screen.I can't believe this is normal for a 19"monitor.Sony won't send a technician to inspect.In their opinion it's in woking order!!!Rodger.

I'm running Fly!2 on a 19" monitor with the Ti4600. I have a ViewSonic G90, or something like that. No problems. Have no idea what's causing your problem, though. Sorry. Try adjusting the refresh rate. I have mine running at 75Hz.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David,I'm running Fly!2 on 85Hz .The elliptical dials are most noticable on the Cessna IFR panel.I intended to buy a 19" ViewSonic ,but our local PC Authority mag published a review giving the Sony top marks.It has to be related to a setting input I don't understand,otherwise Sony wouldn't be selling monitors!!!!Rodger.

Rodger,I have the CPD-420S monitor and up until a few weeks ago I was driving it with a GeForce 3 Ti 200 with great success. I've unfortunately dismantled my Fly! II machine for upgrades so I can't check into things for you, but if you have other sims/games, I'd recommend running those and seeing if you notice abnormalities when you change resolutions. A defect in the monitor of the nature you suggest would appear in all applications. I'd also check for new video card drivers and verify all options are set correctly. Like others, I suspect the problem lies with what's driving the monitor, not the monitor itself. I'm not sure if this is the case with Fly! II, but I do know certain sims are designed with an optimum resolution at which they should be viewed - if you try to run them lower or higher, you tend to get the weird behaviors you describe. Brgrds,R. Maasha

Ramaasha,Thanks for your input.I have found a solution by adjusting the screen geometry with the menu,when viewing a cockpit panel.I am running at 1280x 1024 and used a screen test pattern to tune the settings,when Fly!2 switched to 1024x768 it was out of kilter.What do they say about "fools and children fiddling with things they don't understand".Thanks to all those who replied.My apologies for wasting your time.Rodger.