Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Richard Harvey please

Guest GOODY

Richard:A long time ago I got a FLY!II disk labeled FLY.Godgames.com.I believe theis is a European version.If I am correct I need a Globeupdate1 filein order to re-install.I cannot find this file in AVSIM library.If I am correct what are your suggesstions.CheersGoodyGoodacre@mwaz.com

Goody,The First-Time Fly!ers post by Ken Salter at the top of the forum page: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID14has file links to everything you need including a link to the Global Update patch.I don't know if what you have is the European version, but if it is, Ken's instructions tell you which patches to use.May I ask why you're reinstalling Fly!II? Did you have a problem? I know that you were trying to run a Terrascene installion for the Grand Canyon, but that would have required a reinstall of Terrascene, at the most, not Fly!II.

Randall Rocke

Guest GOODY

Randall (my Guardian angel)I have tried to reinstall (even changing drives)It installs fine in both drives but when I try to install upgrades (per Ken Salters info) the stop loading at java.IS THERE A SPECIAL JAVA SETUP IN WINDOWS????GoodyGoodacre@mwaz.com

Guest Colins2

Hello Goody,The JAVA you are referring to is nothing to do with the Java language, I suspect.TRI made an a/c pod file called java.pod that contains data for the Navajo (aka Kodiak in Fly!2)I remember that lots of people had problems when patching and it was usually at this file that the process stopped. As you have just re-installed everything, I guess that this has happened to you as well.As far as I know, your only recourse now is to re-install Fly!2 from scratch and apply the necessary patches in order.Ken's message gives the order that they need to be applied.GlobeUpdate is not *needed* but it gives better geographical detail for some things.I am one of the fortunate ones who has never had a problem with the patch program, but some people have.People have written reams about the patch process and there seems to be a lot of myth surrounding it. It really is straightforward, though.The patch program looks for certain files that it wants to apply changes to and it looks for specific versions of those files. If the version that you have is not what it is looking for, then it will not apply the changes and will quit. This is logical and how it should work, unfortunately, it can leave your Fly!2 installation unuseable if it fails.Some people have also written that you must absolutely NOT start fly until all the patches have been applied. This is nonsense, I recommend the opposite. Apply a patch, then start Fly! and make sure it works! After all, that's what we all did when Fly! & Fly!2 came out. We ran the sim while waiting for the next patch!Here's a few tips:Don't modify your fly.ini or render.ini.The patch program cannot be run from a CD (in case you have burned the patch files to CD) they must be run from your HD, preferably the same one that Fly! is installed on.After applying a patch, delete all your *.hst and *.sit files or the program will crash.Stop all background tasks - just in case. I haven't had a problem with this, but it can't hurt anyway.Make sure that you do NOT have any AV programs running, especially Norton. You may need to reboot a couple of times to disable the AV completely, depending upon which one (if any) you are running.Some people have had success by muting the sound card during the process. Again, his hasn't been a problem for me, but it's worth doing, just in case.Other than the above, the patch process should be straightforward.RegardsColin