Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

Wideview

Anybody here using WideView... and could we maybe start a thread in getting it hooked up?>?ThanksJohn

Guest SD Sim

Hi John,I'm using WidevieW. Look at the links below for help getting started (the second link is for the wideview forum at escape airlines pilot lounge). The set-up can be a little challenging, but if you take time to read the documentation enclosed with the WidevieW software, it will be much easier. I'll be happy to try and help if you have any questions.[http://wideview.00server.com/][http://www.escapeairlines.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=WV]

Thanks, Dave ...Im usually pretty savvy when it comes to computer stuff, but Im a little leery when it comes to networking.I got my computers networked fine for the cable router I use.I understand that they both need to have the IPX protocol installed. If that's the case, then my second computer, the client, a 500-MHz e-machine is OK. However, when I try to install it on my AMD xp1600, my machine goes blank and I have to reboot...It's sort of like I cant past square one.Another question, all I have to do is run a cable from ethernet card to ethernet card, right??Thanks foryour help. Im going to try to get this up and running with the cmputers I have before I invest in upgrades.JOhn

Guest SD Sim

Hi John, My server is an Athlon XP1800+ based machine, so I don't think your problem is related to your CPU. You are correct in that you need to run the IPX protocol. I too was/am humbled by the networking experience, and my network was set up using Windows XP (home and pro) which practically holds your hand throughout the whole process. I have my network set up through my router, which is slightly different from your approach of directly linking the two computers. I would suggest that you first try and set up your network through the router that you have for your cable connection, as this might solve your problem. The one thing that I did was to slowly set up all the networking, starting simple with shared folders before setting up the IPX "interface" (for lack of a better word). If you can provide more details on your OS, and what you've done to establish your network, then hopefully myself, or better yet someone more knowledgable ;), can help you get your IPX network up and running.