Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aidi

CH Yoke Enhancements (Pictures!)

Hi all,I wanted to put a line or mark in the idle / reverse position I created (using FSUIPC). We have a Dymo label maker at work so I got some white on clear tape and went silly!FYI you can also get other colour tapes (i.e. red on clear) so you could make it even more realistic.Andy (YSCB)

I really like that Idea. Can you tell me how and what you used to do that?Tadd Garcia

Say, why not put this out to the MSFS users who have the CH products as something you can produce for the simming community? I'd by if the price was right. Ha.

Hi Tadd,I used a label maker (Dymo 3500 which is a bit old now. Newer cheaper models are available from most stationery suppliers). Not sue of the cost but probably cheap in the US.The Dymo's have a cartridge you put in the back. You can get various colours. For example:- Black writing on white tape- Black writing on clear tape- White writing on clear tapeetc. You can get like gold, green, red, blue, yellow, silver.I chose the white writing on clear tape to show up nicely against the black background. You then make the label and the Dymo whirrs and grinds and prints it out. It has a little cutter that you press and it cuts the tape and makes a nice little "leading edge" to ease with peeling.I cut out the label as close as possible around the lettering using some sharp scissors (kiddies - get mum or dads OK first!). You then peel the backing off and stick it in place. I used a hobby knife (like a scalpel) to peel the backing off and to position the (very) small stickers. This also avoids getting greasy finger prints on the sticky stuff.You need to rub it a bit to get rid of any air bubbles. The flatter the surface the better it will stick and look. My CH yoke is not a dead smooth plastic but it still sticks very well. You will note in the pictures that the "Cut Off" label is actually coming off. It didn't stick well in the first place (did I mention that you need to avoid touching the sticky side!).I already had an idle and reverse zone set in FSUIPC, so it was just a case of opening this up in FS and matching the throttle position to the set value to get the idle spot (where to stick the label). I (amongst others) have previously posted how to set up the reverse zone in FSUIPC so search the archives or read the FSUIPC manual for detailed instructions.With the feather zone, I just opened up the KA350 in virtual cockpit, zoomed in on the throttles and set it by eye. I really like to fly the 350 as well as the 58 so I guess the labels have been based on a combination of these two aircraft.Took me about a two hours all up and well worth it (IMO).Andy (YSCB)

Hi Lowell,My wife asked why they didn't come with the yoke in the first place!CH could probably mass produce some appropriate little stickers like the ones you get with your plastic model kits. You know the ones you soak in water that never work and end up sticking to everything but the model!Andy (YSCB)

Andy,thanks for the tip - truly one of those ideas that are so simple and yet so brilliant! I'm tapping away at our DYMO at this very moment!Regards,Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------