Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Heck...all of this activity brings back the spirit...

Guest tonyc

When I dabbled with Python and wrote the script autoweather, I had a great time. Now I am thinking of writing a more ambitious script. I would call it 'Airline Pilot' and try to simulate basic parameters ala ATP by Sublogic of a long time ago. This program had structured career flights and, at the end, it graded the pilot according to a number of criteria. No guarantees. Just submit suggestions. My programming skills in this area are nil, although I can program microcontrollers, so I know the basic stuff.tony

Guest Eagle

Go for It!! I really enjoyed ATP and if you can do something like that for Fly it would be great. I still have ATP although it will not work on my present system.Keep FLYing

Ooooahh cool idea!Could be very challenging!How about doing this for small aircraft too (checkrides). Is it your intent to start with small and end up with heavies? (I don't know what ATP does)Cheers!Pascal

Guest tonyc

We'll start very small and let it grow, hopefully.tony

Hello Tony,I had the same idea as you!!!!Well, as i dont like the idea to be in "competition" with anyone, i share my thoughts about it, and the state of advancement of my project.For a start i just wanted to be able to track the time passed flying, and became more ambitious afterwards.My project would be to give a nice interface to the player to chose easely from a lot of presets. The basics like, which kind of weather (only things like "no wind", "raining", "gloomy",...), IFR,VFR (and ask the player to act accordingly with radio and so on), to more advanced stuff. They would be all kind of failures, either determine randomly or on the "state" of the airplane, but you could as well choose to be prepared for a collision with another airplane (in non tower airport) as it is one of the main cause of crash in GA, and so on. You could as well "tell" to the simulation if you're going to perform some acrobatics, the computer giving you advice and so on.I don't really know what can be done actually, but i realised that i needed to save a lot about the flight and i asked myself if there couldnt be some kind of after trip analyser which could determine the quality and the difficulty of the flight and then rank the Pilote. Everything will be then saved in a database (have a look at the module named "shelve" in Python)Here is the number of variable i was able to think about to rank a pilote quality(sorry it's understandable only by french guy but i feel a bit lazy for the moment. Anyway it gives you an idea about how many things i thought about):(panne=failure, virage=turn, atterrissage=landing, vol=flight)"nom" : self.nomJoueur, "nbreHeureTotaleVol" : 0, "nbreHeureVolIFR" : 0, "nbreHeureVolVFR" : 0, "nbreHeureVolparAvion" : {"Cessna 172S Trainer": 0}, "niveau" : niveau(0), "emplacementImage" : cheminImage, "dernierVol" : "Aucun vol pour le moment", "dernierAvion" : "Pas d'avion

Guest tonyc

I believe that ATP( a dos program) is now in the public "abandonware"category. You can look for it, and if can't find it, I'll send you a copy. ATP later became AS1 and AS2, which had better cockpit graphics and flight modeling. Anyway, the career portion of the program had 99 career flights. So you would start with #1, and the plane, the flight and the weather conditions as well as the time would be picked. It had ATC which confirmed all the frequency changes. After the flight, it would provide you with a score on 1. ability to stay withing the +/- 100 ft of assigned altitude2. any unusual attitudes3. fuel consumption4. too high or too low vertical speedAnd more.This score would then be recorded for your "promotion" as well as ability to fly a more advanced plane.I have not figured out exactly what can be done with fLY, although I looked at what the "logbook" option records already . This may be the place to start, I am not sure.tony