Sign in to follow this  

A question for developers and everyone else!

Guest dajackman

After reading the "A Challenge To The Fly! II Community" thread I had a question. Would the Fly/Fly2k/Fly2! developers be interested in something like this: A web site devoted to ongoing projects for fly. Developers could post their project at the current stage including the code and raw data for all to see and download. Kinda like to open source guys do. This would have a few cool effects. Some people like myself learn faster from example. Taking a peek at the files of your project will help others learn how to create/improve addons for fly. You other developers could help each other if you should have a question or get stuck on something. This may make it easier for a group of developers to work on the same project. The site could also bring together some of the howtos out for creating addons to assist us wannabe developers. I kinda posted a quick question like this in the other thread but after thinking about it a little, the more I thought how great this would be. Especially after reading some of the posts. Does anyone else think this would help the community? As I stated in my other post I have a webserver sitting here doing nothing. Please let me know your thoughts.-dajackman

Guest Eagle

Johnny - I don't think he is talking about pretty pictures and you do have a lot of them.A site for files, examples of projects in development, thoughts for upcoming projects, tutorials and ideas for projects.Sounds like a good idea to me.Keep FLYing

Sounds like a great idea.It could be a great place to store beta projects during testing.Kind RegardsAndy

Guest dajackman

So you developers have no problem putting up your beta projects for all to use and see? Seems like a good idea to me. Does anyone see any problems with something like this?I'm a more than willing to invest the time to set the site up. I just wanted to make sure this would be used if created.-dajackman

A site didecated to developing ect. yes am in..Henrik

I've been interested in doing something like this for a while. In fact, I've recently started the design for a site like this. I've learned so much from folks on this forum, I think it would be fun to help write tutorials and provide resources for continued development. A few things on my list would be:1) Clear step-by-step instructions for working w/ Fly!II graphic images in Photoshop. (Perhaps someone else could add instructions for Paint Shop Pro)2) Photoshop templates for doing repaints of Fly!II aircraft. (I'm already working on this for the TBM)3) Consolidate many of the resources already available (Bart's Site, Salter's, ROTW, and others).4) Shared info on tweaking (render.ini, etc.)5) A global scenery directory (similar to what Johnny's site does for europe).I'd be happy to lend a hand w/ Photoshop tips, some 3D studio, working with gauges, etc. I'd also be happy to contribute to the design work for the site.Great idea! I'd love to get involved.Dan LarsonSenior Designer/DeveloperDigital Gamershttp://www.digigamers.com/starfire/

Guest dajackman

Great. Thanks for the ideas and offer for help. Send me your email address and I may take you up on it. I want to help the fly community somehow but I don't have any /dev brains. I think I may go forth with something. My e-mail is below. Thanks again.-dajackmanrobby@localbar.com

Guest dajackman

Well, I have had some positive posts here. I think I will give it a try. If anyone is interested in giving some help please let me know. Does anyone have any ideas for a domain name??

Guest Eagle

Johnny - How can I get a job that pays to surf the net? Do you need help?Keep FLYing

Now this is the kind of site Im looking for. My grey cells need stimulating and I want to get my head around re painting aircraft and maybe in the future make my own.I re painted the Bell 407, podded it and it works. But it over rides the main Bell 407.A site like this would help me were Im going wrong."Do it" ;)SteveEGNR