Sign in to follow this  

The status of Fly!

Rich, that sounds like "a mission from God". Good luck...but somehow I dont think you'll need it. Think you have that now.I used to be associated with a group called Game Tool Technologies and had the pleasure of visiting your dallas facilities when Fly 1was new. I had the pleasure of dealing with Jeff Smith and a few other folks at that great group of folks. Energy and excitement made me want to work there, though that wasnt possible.You and I have had one phone conversation a few years ago. (Once you considered our group to do a cockpit for a 737). I felt your energy and dedication thru the phone.Life turns pages. Good wishes to you and your family and if FlY getsa new lease, I hope its like Linux. Unleash that engine to open source. The community is greater than any single enterprise.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Sad news indeed. I always loved to FLY around :)All the best!

Hi Rich,First of all I'm happy to hear the good news about your cancer situation. I haven't been very updated about it as I have been a little away from the forums here...Now I just wanted to point out what I am doing for the Fly! community... and as well trying to do for other flight simulators, including MSFS, Falcon, CFS etc etc (even if I personally dislike combat sims).Currently I do have a site of mine that I'm developing all the time. You might have seen it earlier, but it's going through several updates and I have high ambitions with this site. Right now, I mostly meet Fly! friends on the site, and as this topic was brought up I thought it would be suitable to mention my site.So if you want to do some peer-to-peer flying please check in at:http://flightboards.4gigs.com/It's totally free and it automatically tells you what weather file (METAR) to download (also how to do it).Please, if you have any comments e-mail me at:flightboards@tjohoo.seYou may also see the contact page for other ways to contact me. AVSIM IRC is one way.Happy flying all!Cheers! :-)David VuorioAdministrator and founder of Dave's Flightboards

Hey Rich,first good luck for the surgery which is more important.sencond, sad to hear that fly "seems" dead - i always liked fly!/2k/II as an alternative to MSFS even though I fly MSFS a little more.However maybe someone will take over otherwise, who owns the code-rights ?Did you get what happened to Microproses Falcon 4 ?!Those guys did a great job and brought a military flightsim where none has brought it before. Maybe the same could be achieved for Fly!x if its under a central control.Nontheless, dunno if that is an option.maddy[p]You can visit Maddys Flightsimulator Multiplayer Tours at [h3]Maddy's Tour Pages][/h3][/p

Guest Rob Westhouse

Richard,Thanks for the fun time with Fly! and Fly! 2. This simulation was the most fun I have had with computers in the past 20 years. I learned a lot and met many new and interesting people from around the world. Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that at some time down the road the dream can continue.Best of luck with the new project. Hopefully you can touch even more lives and make the world just a little bit better place. Glad to hear the cancer has not returned.Those battling this disease need all the help and support they can get. What a wonderful feeling it must be to have the chance to reach out to so many struggling and offer a glimmer of hope and support.My sister-in-law battled cancer and won as well. Last weekend my wife and I had a chance to get together with her and my brother for a few days in a campground in eastern Saskatchewan. We do not see each other often enough these days being so far apart. Nice to see them both enjoying life again after a few tough years.Good luck in the future...http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest Jan

Hello RichMany thanks for everything you and your team have done for me,the Flycomunity,and the flight simulation world.FlyII will stay on my hard drivefor years.It gives,and will be giving me many more hours of fun.I think we all want your "life and soul" to live for many years to come.Good luck with your new projects...and take care. :)Jan

Ok...this still doesn't change my mind about Fly!It's still an incredible program, and it's made a real pilot out of me. I've got my PPL, and now I'm goin' for Instrument/Commercial!During my flight training, I was always able to come home after a flight lesson and go through maneuvers on the Fly2K! simulator. It really helps me to stay on top of things...checklists, real weather, real radio/VOR/NDB/ILS frequencies, desicion heights, instrument approaches, emergency procedures...and so on.I still don't have Fly II, so I'm still toolin' along with Fly2K! Don't get me wrong...I love it, and will probably never get sick of it!Rich, I hope all these responses you're getting can inspire you and the whole Fly! team to keep the dream alive, because I would never have become a pilot if it wasn't for the Fly2K! simulator. Thank you!Cheers to Doug "Fresh" Myres for giving me this flight simulator back at Club Clearview in Dallas, TX 3 years ago. You live strongly in our memories, Doug!All the best,Clem Hoot (lead guitar) - The Flametrick Subs http://www.flametricksubs.com :-beerchug

Rich,no matter what TRI corporate policies require, many users and developers here will not consider fly series as dead. I still enjoy flying fly!2k /fly2 and developing models/sceneries for them. Your presence and enthusiasm in this forum have developed a strong spirit and culture of developing and sharing which stays far above what market or competition dictate and which some gamers never understand.Many thanks to you and to your team members for all your efforts and wishing you good health and all the best for whatever the future brings.biberwww.LTBA.net

Hello Rich,I too like to say thank you for everything you did and still do!I was here from day one with fly and will be here till day x.....Wishing you all the best from Germany, and take care of your health.Rodger

Thanks for everything you have done, Rich. It has been a great learning experience and loads of fun for me personally, and you and the TRI team have made a permanent impact on flight sims. Good luck on your new project and have fun!Thanks,Todd Klaus

Hello, Mr. Harvey, and everyone. While I am not much of a speaker, more of a Binary guy, I wanted to say thank you for the effort that you put into this Sim. and the integrity you have shown. You are one of the few people that I

Guest DSandberg

I'm saddened by the official word that Fly II will be the end of the series, though not really surprised ... I think most of us already suspected as much.However I'm very glad to hear you found another project you could pour your heart and soul into, Richard. After all, that's the most important thing ... being able to do something you'll have no regrets about putting your time into later, no matter what happens to it. And I'm certain that with your involvement this new project must be getting off to a great start!- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Dear Mr. RichThank you for everything you did , I will continue to stay here using Fly! and Fly2 the best sim ever. Wishing you all the best from Venezuela, and take care.Cesar